Headphones...

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
The AKG's as I mentioned earlier in the thread are industry standard for monitoring, well within budget too Cupz
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
hexagon son wrote:Did a search first bla bla blah...

Anyway, I haven't had a proper hi-fi in about 8 years, so I decided to splash out on some new headphones:
http://slamxhype.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Beats-by-Dr.-Dre-Studio-V2-Samurai-Headphones-Japan-Edition-03-570x567.jpg

They cost me a rediculous amount of money, but seeing as I spend at 3 or more hours a day commuting and listening to music, I thought they were a good investment. (then my father-in-law showed me his ¥110,000 / $1300 pair of open ear muffs O_O)

Using high quality headphones have really changed the way I listen to music. I am hearing so much more detail in what I listen to (Palace Posy right now). I tried other headphones approaching a similar price range, but these really appealed to me in the end. I prefer closed ear headphones. I like being able to block out the world. The sound quality is great, but I must admit that the look and style of these Japan only limited release did bias me a bit.

If you use headphones for listening to music, let me know what you use, if it's closed or open, how, when and why you use them.

do yourself a favor and get Grado. i have a pair of RS-1s and PS1000s. they are fucking unreal. with a headphone amp, and a DAC should you want one, you ears will be ever so thankful. mind you these are open air....but the sound and stage are insane.
i use these because music has never sounded better in them.

my buddy showed up one day with a pair of RS-1s and he tells me they are $700. i tell him he's mad for spending that much. you'd never hear the diff at that point. he just said put them on. i immediately went out to get a pair.
then i had the means to buck up for a pair of PS1000s. these headphones are the absolute definition of amazing sound.
i use these because i need to hear it the way it was meant to be heard. not all trapped in an enclosed shell, bass all pumped up and trapped, sweetened sound that only misrepresents.
its all i got. :cry:

notables: senn, akg

Telepath
Mexicola wrote:Sennheiser HD280 pro.

I have one of these, but its broken. The membrane started to decay untill there was nothing left. It just produces mid-highs to highs now. Is it me or are Sennheisers extremely fragile? Every pair I have ever owned broke from either cable-break or other. And it turns out I really really dislike spiral-cords. They always twist together into a huge mess. I mixed Kike Juan on it.

Looking at the Akg K240MKII as suggested. It looks pretty neat. Especially like the ability to switch mini-XLR cables. Could very well be the one.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm telling you try these and you'll NEVER go back

RS-1

PS1000

Telepath
Donate me one and I'll agree. :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:Donate me one and I'll agree. :wink:

heh...i promise....if i have some extra cash some day...for you i would. if i got you hooked you'd spread the werd. of that i am certain.

Telepath
Haha, you're sweet. I was joking. I don't know if I'd be able to accept a gift of that magnitude. I'd have to be drunk when you give it. :mrgreen:

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:
Mexicola wrote:Sennheiser HD280 pro.

I have one of these, but its broken. The membrane started to decay untill there was nothing left. It just produces mid-highs to highs now. Is it me or are Sennheisers extremely fragile? Every pair I have ever owned broke from either cable-break or other. And it turns out I really really dislike spiral-cords. They always twist together into a huge mess. I mixed Kike Juan on it.

Looking at the Akg K240MKII as suggested. It looks pretty neat. Especially like the ability to switch mini-XLR cables. Could very well be the one.

They are pretty fragile indeed. I never buy the expensive ones, but I have bought the HD202 about 6 or 7 times, I really like the price compared to the quality, but more than once they failed on me after about 6 months in, all of the times was cable-break, and only 1 side would still work.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

On my second pair. Both have lasted years and for the money I think they're fantastic. Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in trying those Grados one day. :-)

Slow down...

Friendly Stranger
I tried sr 60s and wasn't much impressed. I used them with my Pianocraft though. Kind of old-fashioned; sound was definitely too dry and too sharp for me, not so warm and "oily" as I prefer, especially regarding bass. So it wasn't work too well with Burial for example. FRKWYS '7 for instance - almost crystal clear. On the other hand Porcupine Tree's "Moonloop" echoing guitars lost their abstract feeling and sounded too close to my face. Very detailed reproduction on that one in deed.

I happily returned them to the shop. I wanted something to replace my budget AKG K520 which deliver very nice sound but broke in six places (!). Only absolutely great half-portable Sennheiser's HD 238 Precision were my best purchase so far.

Happy Cycler
Grado's are fantastic but there is no denying they are all a little on the bright side, I've demoed nearly every model they make and all were bright to very bright. The 325's are almost sibilant. I love both pairs I own (RS2E's and SR80s) but I only listen to certain types of music on them.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Eagle Minded
Can anyone recommend some decent earbud type headphones? Nothing too expensive, but some that don't sound like utter shit?

I usually use proper cans but I'd like some earbuds for convenience sometimes. Ie walking to the pub.

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:Haha, you're sweet. I was joking. I don't know if I'd be able to accept a gift of that magnitude. I'd have to be drunk when you give it. :mrgreen:

who gives a fuck...its only money. money doesnt mean anything. I'm just not in a spot that i do something like that right now.
i make less than my expenses....so that wouldn't be a wise decision at this point in time.

Telepath
Lol at avatar btw.

I make exactly minus my expenses. You are right, money doesnt mean anything.

Sherbet Head
I'm using Sennheister HD650s and I'm really happy with them. Coupled with the Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amplifier.

Telepath
Got mah AKG k240 mkII's!!!

They're marvelous. Very detailed sounds. I haven't heard sound like this in a while. Time to relisten all the musics again.

It was quite exciting, I almost got the grado s80e instead, but decided not to.

Telepath
Holy shit. I can literally go as dirty as I want and it will still sound good anywhere. Usually it would only sound good on the headphones I had. This is amazing. I can do whatever I WANTAAAA YES!

Sherbet Head
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx-eu

For everyone who is still listening to subpar earpods, cheap headphones or crappy speakers, this is an incredible steal for this tier of headphones! Best money you'll ever spend!
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Posts Quantity
I'moan git minez. Fir miss miss. :lol: Ah be dreemin tue. Fir nex miss miss. :evil:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Utopia--focal-utopia-open-back-circumaural-headphones

Sherbet Head
Xaugh wrote:I'moan git minez. Fir miss miss. :lol: Ah be dreemin tue. Fir nex miss miss. :evil:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Utopia--focal-utopia-open-back-circumaural-headphones

Yeah damn, need a mortgage for that!
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Previous

Return to This Random Sound