Stars of the Lid

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
I agree and disagree with that message. I agree with the entitlement thing, that is definitely something I feel is too prevalent these days. However, certain types of music definitely thrive from things moving at a quicker pace, but for SOTL slow and steady is absolutely the right approach so I get where he is coming from generally. It's just frustrating when you wanna hear the studio versions of those tantilising live cuts!
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
I love that attitude, although I think there's probably quite a lot of work (and sacrifice and luck) involved in getting yourself to the point where you can work at that pace.

Eagle Minded
Off to get my lids mashed. Need this badly.... 8)
rED ORAnge YELLow grEEn blUe inDIGo violEt
ricHArd OF yorK GAvE baTTle in vAIn
ROYGBIV
Released! Oh Yes! Gonna Buy It Vinyl!
B&Q

New Seed
i've only seen two set lists for this tour and i'm dying to see more.
resisting babylon system one rainbow at a time...

Eagle Minded
Just discovered adam's side project The Dead Texan, absolutely as amazing as SOTL's work. Strong rec!
member of pablo col.
https://www.pacol.bandcamp.com

Betterthanyourkids wrote:Just discovered adam's side project The Dead Texan, absolutely as amazing as SOTL's work. Strong rec!

Correct. Hit up the search button. There are two small threads about that project. ;-)

Slow down...

New Seed
i noticed from the youtube vids that adam has shaved his head for this tour. interesting look. when I saw them in LA he looked like a caveman.

Posts Quantity
Updating my Adam Wiltzie physical collection.

AWVFTS - Atomos clear vinyl
AWVFTS - AWVFTS vinyl
Dead Texan CD
SOTL - Tired Sounds 2015 repress
SOTL - Refinement 2015 repress
SOTL - Avec Laudenum (their best album) 2013 repress
SOTL - Ballasted Orchestra 2013 repress
"I'm not moaning! I'm humming a very low-pitched song."

Scouring the internet for old tour posters etc and found this website for a studio in Iceland.Clients include Bjork, Sigur Ros, Johann Johannsson, Brian Eno, Damon Albarn, Oneohthrix Point Never, Tim Hecker, Bonnie Prince Billy, Stars of the Lid.

Wonder how recent that was then?

Slow down...

Oh and here is the artist for the recent tour poster. Looks like they might still have a few going for sale too..

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
I don't think it's that recent, it looks like its the same studio from the image they posted a year or so ago.

Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Posts Quantity

Posts Quantity
Sorry for any missed heartbeats with this bump, but this is a beautiful interview

https://www.fivequestions.me/interviews ... an-mcbride

Ha! I just came here to post that too. You're right, it's a wonderful interview. Even if you aren't a fan of the band, it's well worth a read. Beautiful.

Slow down...

Kranky are re-issuing Gravitational Pull vs The Desire For An Aquatic Life on vinyl.

More here

They also appear to be reissuing other SOTL and Brian McBride material on cd / download.
Enjoy.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Great stuff, not their best work, but the only one missing from my collection. For that price, it's a steal.

Exactly. Hoping we get a UK distro though. £17 P+P?!?

Slow down...

Norman Records just emailed me to say they'll be getting a few in over here. Keep em peeled UK Lid fans.

Slow down...

It's here and it sounds lush.

But do watch out for tell tale signs of Lid-harm. Stay Frosty. Slow down.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm starting to think Avec Laudenum could be my favourite SOTL album.
Tired Sounds, Refinement and The Ballasted Orchestra have greater individual tracks, but as a whole work, Avec Laudenum is something else...it kind of flows along, each tune developing and progressing almost imperceptibly. At first it seems nothing much is happening and yet on closer listening, you can detect layer upon layer of sounds.
Just perfect.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound