Roygbiv (Alphaquest mix)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Location: The Soviet Russia, where is vodka, bears and very cold winters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWMPGekdGE4
Here is da source from this mix - from Sesame street too as some of it was used in tracks "Aquarius" and "Colour of the fire".
I hate this guy - he missed original alfaquest song cos it sounds like "Barney and his friends" :x
And there is no other videos on youtube with this song - can anybody find another video with this original song for feedback? :)

Dayvan Cowboy
M is Mike and Marcus's favourite letter
8)
if you are reading this you are spending too much time at your computer. go outside and get some fresh air.

Sherbet Head
I like the alpha quest version more than the original :D
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Dayvan Cowboy
nick47 wrote:I like the alpha quest version more than the original :D

Me too..I think :lol:
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Nova Scotia Robot
harpoon dodger wrote:
nick47 wrote:I like the alpha quest version more than the original :D

Me too..I think :lol:

Yup, me three.

Friendly Stranger
hello
does anyone have a link to download the alphaquest mix in good quality, or could send it to me? (send me an inbox to have my email address)

this version is awesome :-)
« If you could be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you could be told what to say or think. »

Sherbet Head
Remember how they said they wanted to incorporate singing? If this is what it would be like... yes!!!

Friendly Stranger
i finally managed to catch the mp3 track of the alpha quest mix, if anyone wants it send me an inbox :-)
« If you could be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you could be told what to say or think. »

Posts Quantity
fanfanmeu wrote:i finally managed to catch the mp3 track of the alpha quest mix, if anyone wants it send me an inbox :-)

Yeah hook me up!

Posts Quantity
Numerator wrote:M is Mike and Marcus's favourite letter
8)

I remember tripping with some friends in the woods a couple of years ago. We were talking about music and somebody brought up Boards of Canada and that letter M thing from Peel session interview. Then we spent a long time talking about letters, which ones are our favourite, what do we imagine them look and act like etc. Oh, well, you can probably guess how it went.

But recently, while doing some research for school, I stumbled upon a thing called phonaesthesia/phonosemantics. It's a branch of linguistics that refers to the idea that written representations of sounds carry meaning in and of themselves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_symbolism).

This has nothing to do with anything, I just remembered it now when I saw you mentioning the letter M being Sandison bros. favourite.

Me and my friends went through the whole alphabet that night. Good times. My memory is fuzzy, but we figured that the letter "M" has this feminine mother personality to it.

Well, don't mind me, lol, I've had a few beers.

To make my post worthwhile, here's a squirrel from Banff National Park:

Friendly Stranger
:o

Dayvan Cowboy
Looking for a DL of this in higher quality than I currently have (128 kbps WMA)... Anyone able to help me out?
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Dayvan Cowboy
*it's a whole nother year*

Anyone have a higher quality version of this track than 128 kbps to share pls? I have stuff to trade!
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Dayvan Cowboy
Goiter Sanchez wrote:Anyone have a higher quality version of this track than 128 kbps to share pls? I have stuff to trade!

Seconded. Although I have little to trade.
Its a shame such an important remix is only available in lower quality.

New Seed
OK, longtime lurker and only sporadic poster here - so I'm probably gonna get jumped upon! - but I thought I'd point out something that never seems to have been mentioned in all this time.

ROYGBIV (Alphaquest Mix) isn't a REMIX at all, it's the ORIGINAL MIX! The version on MHTRTC is identical save for the fact that the Alpaquest section has been edited out, I'm guessing because the sample couldn't be cleared. If I remember correctly, the Alphaquest Mix originates from a DAT tape given by the band to a friend who used it as a soundtrack to some kind of exhibition, presumably not requiring clearance as it wasn't being made commercially available. Anyone know more?

Dayvan Cowboy
doubt it. Bocpages says:

Friendly Stranger
I uploaded those scans of the DAT.

I was at art college in Dundee from 1993 to 1997 and Andy Soosay was in my year.
He did Graphic Design, as far as I can remember, I did sculpture. He ended up working for Rockstar Games I think.

After MHTRTC came out, a mutual friend got the DAT off him and we tried to get a rip but didn't know anyone with a DAT player. Plus, we were too skint to hire one, FFS.

On the upside, I did get second (?) generation copies of BOC Maxima and A Few Old Tunes (1991 - 1995) right off the bat, so that was pretty darn sweet. And no, I didn't leak them...neither did my pal. We were good boys.

So, yeah, a crying shame about the non-rip of Alphaquest.

Another wee tit-bit of info...I ended up working at Dundee Contemporary Arts after college, and met a chap called Simon Yuill in 1999, who was doing some computer related art-ish projects there. He was also a member of Hexagon Sun...I tried to tap him about the early releases but all he would do is smile a knowing smile and proffer no other information. What a git.

SECRETSES

:lol:

ravedamage wrote:I uploaded those scans of the DAT.

I was at art college in Dundee from 1993 to 1997 and Andy Soosay was in my year.
He did Graphic Design, as far as I can remember, I did sculpture. He ended up working for Rockstar Games I think.

After MHTRTC came out, a mutual friend got the DAT off him and we tried to get a rip but didn't know anyone with a DAT player. Plus, we were too skint to hire one, FFS.

On the upside, I did get second (?) generation copies of BOC Maxima and A Few Old Tunes (1991 - 1995) right off the bat, so that was pretty darn sweet. And no, I didn't leak them...neither did my pal. We were good boys.

Another wee tit-bit of info...I ended up working at Dundee Contemporary Arts after college, and met a chap called Simon Yuill in 1999, who was doing some computer related art-ish projects there. He was also a member of Hexagon Sun...I tried to tap him about the early releases but all he would do is smile a knowing smile and proffer no other information. What a git.

SECRETSES

cool story, bro

No seriously, it's a cool story! :D Pity you couldn't obtain some other noteworthy juicy details though.

Friendly Stranger
Little did we know how much of an impact the Boards would have back then, otherwise we might have upped our game a bit I guess.

One juicy detail which just occurred to me though, is that I have (albeit at one remove) touched the peen of at least one of the brothers, through handling dat BOC DAT.

Memories.

Eagle Minded
ravedamage wrote:I uploaded those scans of the DAT.

SECRETSES

The Alphaquest DAT was made after Boc Maxima but before MHTRTC, correct? Do you know anything about Andy's connection to BOC?

Next

Return to Boards of Canada