Setting the record straight on Eyesix

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Now I also know why I never receive my 20 % commission from his Conet Communications Workshop EP for delivering the artwork. He said the Norwegian record company were slow at issuing his commission... Oh, how oblivious I were back then.

Now I'm kind of ashamed having my pictures used as artwork for an EP, that possible includes stolen tracks. I will not have my pictures used for a dodgy and illegal business.

Posts Quantity
PBS'73 wrote::!: https://soundcloud.com/the-echelon-effect-408823866

Im sure this page is now surrounded by speculation as well.
"The Echelon Effect" was another one of this deception projects I'm sure...
unfollow and please don't support this page any further.

The Echelon Effect is actually the name of a separate, original guitar-based ambient music project that's been around since 2009. Pretty good music if you're into that style.

Anyway this isn't related to that project but maybe he's stealing names as well as music. Very concerning.

New Seed
I wasn't going to chip in on this but as I have had personal association with Jason (including numerous collaborations) it's apparent I'm duty bound. Jason tried to release one of my tracks as his own earlier this year. When I confronted him about it he removed the track from his digital release and excused it as an honest mistake. Obviously I found that a bit unlikely, but knowing his history of drug abuse figured it might be an honest oversight. Clearly, I was wrong to give him the benefit of the doubt. I also released a collaboration EP with him. I have no idea how many copies were sold but I never saw any of the money.

I'm shocked as to the extent of his dishonesty. If I have ever been involved in a collaboration/remix with him that includes anyone else's material I can only apologise profusely. I had no idea.

At minimum I would have hoped that Jason made some effort to explain himself. I think he owes people an apology and/or explanation. I know he has released music when under the influence of various hallucinogens so it is possible that some of this hasn't been as pre-meditated as it may appear, although that's a fairly far-fetched explanation.

New beginnings though. PBS 73 and I have been chatting so something positive may still come out of this debacle.

Sherbet Head
lyst wrote:
bearhead wrote:As someone who has personally collaborated with him, about 3-4 years ago now, I can vouch for him producing original material. Also had chats with Jason through Soundcloud around late 2012 or so, and he expressed genuine interest about production and the likes, which was around the time he was starting out. For the record, this isn't to defend what he did, but just to make it known that not all of the material was stolen.

On an unrelated note, he was pretty rude about an album review I wrote (first one ever, and last one too) for his EP back around 2014, because it was "too similar of a review for a BoC album" which I wasn't previously aware of... :roll:

You know, Hitler did do some charity work. Let's not focus on the whole Holocaust thing.

:-?

I get where you're coming from. Like I said, it's not to defend what he did. To me, it's important to recognize because it makes me question what his motive was behind all of this. He had a genuine interest in production, actually produced his own material, but on top of that, also stole a handful of other people's material, then lied and said it was his??? It'd make more sense if it was all stolen, otherwise why would he soil the validity of his own work, and also the dignity of his own name like that? Was it all an honest mistake, or was it out of some sociopathic tendency to scam everyone?

Was this his plan all along, or did something happen down the line that caused this shift? I personally suspect that Eyesix Records was a ploy for money from the get go, because not a single artist was paid. This makes me believe the whole "he didn't know what he was doing" story is bullshit, because he was certainly no stranger to taking what wasn't rightfully his.

Not to mention the handful of "macbook fundraisers" that he put together on facebook, including the compilation he released to raise money for a new laptop. How many times can you spill something on your expensive computer before you realize having your cup of liquid too close to the laptop is a bad idea?

Friendly Stranger
15Dreams wrote:
PBS'73 wrote::!: https://soundcloud.com/the-echelon-effect-408823866

Im sure this page is now surrounded by speculation as well.
"The Echelon Effect" was another one of this deception projects I'm sure...
unfollow and please don't support this page any further.

The Echelon Effect is actually the name of a separate, original guitar-based ambient music project that's been around since 2009. Pretty good music if you're into that style.

Anyway this isn't related to that project but maybe he's stealing names as well as music. Very concerning.

this particular song is track 3 off of 'his' release under that name and the picture is the same as the front cover (I guess we'll never know if it's stolen or not!)
All NNYz? music....Streams CDs & digital....https://linktr.ee/NNYz

Friendly Stranger
As someone who purchased numerous albums from eyesix/ACYL, I did become suspicious at the quantity of releases, deletions and renaming of tracks. I just stopped buying the stuff. But I would love to know who's work (Cities of Earth, I know of) was stolen just so I can purchase the legit songs and have the money in the right pocket. I currently have 40+ tunes I trying to discover the correct owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friendly Stranger
werkware66 wrote:As someone who purchased numerous albums from eyesix/ACYL, I did become suspicious at the quantity of releases, deletions and renaming of tracks. I just stopped buying the stuff. But I would love to know who's work (Cities of Earth, I know of) was stolen just so I can purchase the legit songs and have the money in the right pocket. I currently have 40+ tunes I trying to discover the correct owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here....would love to know who wrote what so credit can be given, and also make a new fan outta me. Thing is....I've got a little over 200 tunes of 'his' (not including eyesix...)

I'm not gonna get everyone to come forward and name their stolen tune! Seems a shame but I really feel like binning all 200!! (really gonna fck up my last.fm stats otherwise!) There's a wealth of quality talent on this board alone....(looks like mosta the stealing came from peeps around here) I'm just gonna check out all yous guys tunes!

I'm fairly new here, I take it there's a thread for everyones music makings?

Eagle Minded
There should be one in This Random Sound, the 'what are you currently working on' thread if I'm not mistaken :)
Mexicola wrote:Marcus had that beard and longer hair waaaaay back.

Friendly Stranger
Thanks! I'm on it!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It would be amazing if we could get some recognition and money to the people he conned. I started indexing his old threads and posts earlier, but the difficulty is all the music has been removed.

Slow down...

Friendly Stranger
Cities of earth seems to be the worst victim. Recent post on Facebook page is quite detailed.... To the point I'll be buying both his releases!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

New Seed
Will bandcamp not be able to provide a list of the releases Jason removed? Has anyone received a response from Bandcamp for that matter? The surely must have a department that deals with this kind of thing.

Friendly Stranger
I received a refund from bandcamp today, so I can now redirect that money to the original artists.

Friendly Stranger
I agree with Mexicola too...
If anymore stolen tracks are known, recognition is still deserved for those conned!

werkware66 wrote:I received a refund from bandcamp today, so I can now redirect that money to the original artists.

That's interesting. How did you go about getting a refund? Was there any dialogue between you and Bandcamp? It would perhaps suggest they're aware at least.

Slow down...

New Seed
Cupz wrote:Claimed the bandcamp lololol.

*amaze*

New Seed
This eyesix theft was pretty widespread, but for my part: if you paid money for any of the ACYL/eyesix albums on this page: http://citiesofearth.com/acyl, email me at citiesofearth at-gmail and I will give you a free download code for the real albums. I don't care about money, but it's important to me that my tracks be heard in the original order and context in which I intended them.

And props to everyone else who got ripped off. Even props to Jason, sounds like he was capable of writing good tunes but just got fucked up. Be good to each other.

Posts Quantity
I have two releases, Limerence and Love Thy Nature, the latter of which he put on bandcamp in September of last year I believe. If these are both someone else's work, I hope they come forward because I want to support the rightful owner(s). Limerence I believe was name your price on Sparkwood Records (who have since made the album undownloadable on bc for the time being) and I was broke at the time, but will gladly pay money to the true artist if that album is stolen. Love Thy Nature I did buy, and I am willing to upload a song on youtube or mediafire if anyone wants to listen and see if it's their music so I can pay them as well.

I remember the original debacle when it happened on here, and was therefore always wary of checking out any of the music on the Eyesix bandcamp page as a result. I finally bit the bullet with Love Thy Nature because with so many people collaborating and releasing music on the "label," it seemed he had learned his lesson. It sucks that that's not the case.

New Seed
:!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3DW8fPbuVs

This track "Up the Rabbit Hole" is actually called ‘White Alice’
Originally from the Cities Of Earth LP ‘Dewline.’

Friendly Stranger
this was my email to Bandcamp

This account "eyesix records" has now closed due to this "artist" stealing other artists music and selling it as their own. I no longer have access to the items I paid for.
How do I get a refund for these stolen items.
Please find enclosed a copy of the sales invoice. (I enclosed my paypal invoice)

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound