"they arent for sale": finding legit BOC tapes in the wild!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Hello all! Exciting little thing just happened...

I just came across two original BOC tapes in the real world. I don't care if you don't believe me or not... They are the real deal.
They belong to a fairly well-known electronic musician named Todd Osborne and he had them in a little case in his shop, Technical Equipment Supply in Ypsilanti, Michigan. That shop name may sound familiar as they are the shop/label that lit up the music sites last week after it being announced that they would be the sole place in the entire world selling a brand new Aphex Twin 12".
I asked to see them up close after he realized I knew what was up with them. He pulled them out from under the glass...

I opened up the cases and my gal got pumped when looking close at the labels on the tapes were hand written and one of the tracklistings in the little case sleeve had "Trapped" on it, one of her faves... I asked where he got them, and quietly said something like "I have a lot of friends." I got the impression that he may be the first or second owner of these, so pretty close to the guys. I looked at the jackets and everything. "How much are these? Must be a fortune!" I said "Yeah, they aren't for sale..." is all he said. The last thing I said as I was handing them back to him was "Gosh, there must be like 100 or less of these worldwide." He said back "Yeah, probably closer to 30."

They are real and were a serious blast to see!

Dayvan Cowboy
Fuuuuuuck!

Eagle Minded
I'd have to say I'm skeptical on this one.
First, it's crazy to think that a tape would surface outside of the UK, especially having the recent fake ebay copies coming out of the US (I think it was Texas?)
Second, the condition of the tapes look too good to be 20+ years old. Not a single scuff mark?
Plus, "I don't care if you believe me or not... They are the real deal" is an automatic red flag that translates to "Since I believe these are real, no further evidence is warranted". Until we get a chance to listen to them, and get more info on his connections, I think this has to be deemed as bogus. But sincerely thanks for posting, I'd love to be proven wrong on this one ☺

Dayvan Cowboy
I for one, believe your story. However, there is no way to know for sure if tapes you saw were real-deal.

Posts Quantity
ZosoCon wrote:I'd have to say I'm skeptical on this one.
First, it's crazy to think that a tape would surface outside of the UK, especially having the recent fake ebay copies coming out of the US (I think it was Texas?)
Second, the condition of the tapes look too good to be 20+ years old. Not a single scuff mark?
Plus, "I don't care if you believe me or not... They are the real deal" is an automatic red flag that translates to "Since I believe these are real, no further evidence is warranted". Until we get a chance to listen to them, and get more info on his connections, I think this has to be deemed as bogus. But sincerely thanks for posting, I'd love to be proven wrong on this one ☺

The guy who owns them just released a record for Richard D. James. I would say he is fairly connected in the scene. I, the originator of the thread, said the thing you quoted. Osborn didn't say that. He, I am sure, doesn't care if anyone thinks they are fake. He also had some old DAT's by some people and some original Rephlex gear which was very much old and used. Hardly a prankster out to fool people. They weren't for sale anyway, just to share with fellow nerds. Easy to discount from some snaps and a few words, but they are out there for anyone to see.

Posts Quantity
oh, also... i am totally kicking myself for not taking a photo of the tapes themselves. the handwriting on the little labels was identical to that wonky type we now are all familiar with. :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Love when these types of threads happen. I just want proper high quality FLACs of OT/Maxima. Otherwise, those tapes belong in a museum.

Posts Quantity
The real question is whether he has a copy of All Lights Fucked on the Hairy Amp Drooling.
Welcome, my friend. These are my people; now they are your people too.

Posts Quantity
holy shit
"I'm not moaning! I'm humming a very low-pitched song."

Eagle Minded
ScienceGuy wrote:The real question is whether he has a copy of All Lights Fucked on the Hairy Amp Drooling.

OP better go back and ask

Telepath
OP didn't ask if he could have a listen? For shame.
Also, wasn't boc maxima a CD?

Eagle Minded
Exciting, but I was really hoping they would be the ones we hadn't seen or heard yet.

Friendly Stranger
I saw these as well, last friday. Here is my nearly identical picture

I'm still trying to take it all in, not even sure what to think -- as he said (and from whats on bocpages) there are between 25 and 50 of each one of those, and to have both, within a few miles of my house (on the other side of the earth from scotland) -- yeah I can't really believe it. The ironic thing was, I was wearing this shirt

when I walked in, because 'hey aphex twin is related to this'. Never in 100000 years did I think I would see those tapes, and I wasn't really mentally prepared for it. I mean, I was planning a trip to Scotland to get a better chance. I told the guy behind the counter (not Todd, that day) 'Is this a joke?' like 10 times. I must have rude, but I really couldn't contain myself. In fact, I walked outside, walked around the block, went back in, and then realized it was sitting on top of BOC Maxima. I literally didn't even notice because I was so freaked by AFOT. Honestly I think its irresponsible to have them and not rip , because it was God's plan for us to hear Whitewater in higher quality, you know?

Now, I'm asking the question, what would Closes 3 or RT35TT even look like in the wild, and would I gloss over it?

Sherbet Head
Honestly the most shocking part of that post for me is that a single shop in Michigan is the only store WORLDWIDE selling the new aphex album?! The fuck is going on there?
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Dayvan Cowboy
Omikron wrote:Exciting, but I was really hoping they would be the ones we hadn't seen or heard yet.

No one has those outside their actual friends and families, if at all. We only have Maxima and OT because they were glorified demo tapes that got passed around the scene by the band when they were shopping for a label back in 1996.
Last edited by Opothecary on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friendly Stranger
Sorry to link to FB, but heres a video about the shop. https://www.facebook.com/RedBullMusicAc ... 7165843217

Eagle Minded
Aesthetikx wrote:. Honestly I think its irresponsible to have them and not rip , because it was God's plan for us to hear Whitewater in higher quality, you know?

Word.
preparation for a dive.

You're assuming a 20+ year old C90 has a better quality recording than the ratty mp3's already doing the rounds? You're an optimistic bunch, I'll give you that much ;-)

Slow down...

Friendly Stranger
Aesthetikx wrote:Sorry to link to FB, but heres a video about the shop. https://www.facebook.com/RedBullMusicAc ... 7165843217

Cheers for linking, seems like a really nice shop, kind of place that's a pleasure to visit

Dayvan Cowboy
the quality of the afot and maxima releases currently doing the rounds are mostly limited by cassette than mp3. It's old tunes 2 that's fucked by mp3 compression, if it came to otv2 I'd offer the guy money just to rip on his premises nevermind take it home permenantly, just so we could have flac haha. nice one though, good for him if it's legit.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada