"they arent for sale": finding legit BOC tapes in the wild!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:Something I just noticed.'Made in England'??

Why England? Scotland surely..

The "Made in England" bit has always been there but is cut off in the most common version of the jacket art that's floating around.

I think you can see it on the version Twoism user dealer posted a few years back but I'm out the door and can't find it right now.

Eagle Minded
Something I just noticed.'Made in England'??

The "Made in England" bit has always been there but is cut off in the most common version of the jacket art that's floating around.

Yeah never thought about this either. You can see in the bocpages scans that the two copies indeed are different. One says "made in england" and the other "made in the U.K."

Also, with these new pictures, it is interesting to see that AFOT tape has nlogax (notice the proper lowercase) on the cassette label. This is interesting fore sure. Extra track?

New Seed
AFAIK, BOC Maxima does not exist on CD(r)... despite claims to the contrary.

The image on the old BOC EHX site was the photo from the cassette release stretched and text added, as was the case for Hooper Bay, another cassette release (the stretching of the cassette image to accommodate a square format for the discography display.

For what it's worth, the tapes are legit - his Maxima cassette mostly matches both mine and Mike P (aka µ-Ziq) own, as does the AFOT. Note the hand-drawn copyright (c) on this version versus others that had it typed as (c) versus the actual symbol ©.

Came by to comment on this to clarify where possible the legitimacy (and lack of) some of these releases.
We are the music makers... We are the dreamers of the dreams...

Dayvan Cowboy
You made a good point on WATMM about how some of those releases probably don't exist in the format that they were presented as.

I do think Hooper Bay is real though - the cassette sized artwork dimensions, Noatak (likely) played live, Circle being a more evolved House of Abin'adab, etc. R35TT is basically a curated collection of all that other music predating Hooper Bay.

The biggest thing people have a hard time getting their heads around why none of it has leaked is that everything predating Twoism is a closed loop; those were friends and family releases - if there are 10-20 people who have everything up through Hooper Bay, and 40 people have Maxima/OT, it's not that many more people, but it's no longer a closed loop since in 1996 they were reaching out for a record deal and these were basically demo tapes.

Those theoretical 20 extra people made all the difference because they didn't have the same sense of loyalty to the creators of the music.

Sherbet Head
Joyrex wrote:AFAIK, BOC Maxima does not exist on CD(r)... despite claims to the contrary.

The image on the old BOC EHX site was the photo from the cassette release stretched and text added, as was the case for Hooper Bay, another cassette release (the stretching of the cassette image to accommodate a square format for the discography display.

For what it's worth, the tapes are legit - his Maxima cassette mostly matches both mine and Mike P (aka µ-Ziq) own, as does the AFOT. Note the hand-drawn copyright (c) on this version versus others that had it typed as (c) versus the actual symbol ©.

Came by to comment on this to clarify where possible the legitimacy (and lack of) some of these releases.

Seeing as you have one, we could really use another recording of a.. Joyrex tape.. :lol:

Telepath
The fuck is joyrex doing here :P

INTRUDER ALERT!
INTRUDER ALERT!!
WATMM INFILTRATION!!!

Seriously, thanks for the info Joyrex. Good to know :-)

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
oh hi joyrex!

New Seed
Opothecary wrote:You made a good point on WATMM about how some of those releases probably don't exist in the format that they were presented as.

I do think Hooper Bay is real though - the cassette sized artwork dimensions, Noatak (likely) played live, Circle being a more evolved House of Abin'adab, etc. R35TT is basically a curated collection of all that other music predating Hooper Bay.

The biggest thing people have a hard time getting their heads around why none of it has leaked is that everything predating Twoism is a closed loop; those were friends and family releases - if there are 10-20 people who have everything up through Hooper Bay, and 40 people have Maxima/OT, it's not that many more people, but it's no longer a closed loop since in 1996 they were reaching out for a record deal and these were basically demo tapes.

Those theoretical 20 extra people made all the difference because they didn't have the same sense of loyalty to the creators of the music.

That's certainly the case - the Hexagon Sun folks likely to have these are not the types to frequent internet message boards. If they do exist in any form, they are likely loose compilations similar to Maxima or AFOT - if you think about it, it makes perfect sense that any band would self-release and do DIY stuff like this.

The only thing that makes one go "hmmm" is the fact that Boards of Canada wasn't called Boards of Canada until 1995, when Twoism came out, so why are the releases prior to Twoism have "Boards of Canada" on them (or Closes Volume 1, with it's "B.O.C" moniker)?

A quick read of this thread might give fans some insight (Reddit, I know): https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/ ... tion_from/

Fair enough if the band wanted (since they have removed them from their official discography) to present an accurate version of their (current) band's history, but unfortunately these prior releases were presented as such, and as fans, we cannot help but talk and speculate about them.

Oh, and for folks asking about better quality copies, etc. - honestly the Maxima tape sounds about as good as you would expect a home-grown C90 would. You're not getting anything near CD quality, and the existing rips (sans any mastering efforts by fans) are as good as it gets.

The band would be doing themselves and the fans a huge service by releasing these mythical releases as a SoundCloud dump (aka Richard James/µ-Ziq stylee), or kindly ask the folks at WARP/Bleep to set up a Bleeptstore and let the fans who are curious about these to enjoy them. For the band, it would (hopefully) put to rest any irritations surrounding these releases I am sure they have had to deal with from time to time (maybe not).

Of course, nothing is ever that simple, and there might be rights/licensing issues involved with those early releases, but surely some of it is applicable.

Also, we do need to be respectful of the fact that this is their art, and they have final say as to what happens to it. Just a shame fans of the band would probably at the very least like to be able to hear the early influences in their work, and support them if offered for sale.

Dayvan Cowboy
I always thought that they started using the name in 1994 which would cover Play By Numbers and Hooper Bay - the story is a little more interesting for Catalog 3/Acid Memories/Closes Vol. 1. In the case of Catalog 3/Closes Vol. 1, the old discography claimed that they had been reissued on CD in 1997.

If they did press these to CD-Rs for friends in 1997, it explains the name on the artwork for Closes Vol. 1 as the known artwork didn't actually exist until 1997. See this thread for more information viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12206&p=238426 about how PIC's originals photos that were used were datestamped 1997 but blurred on the "album cover"

I think I remember reading that story on Reddit and based on the author, he seemed to know them when they were something like 14-15 years old so I'm sure that was long before they had even begun making music that we would think of in the vein of BoC. The only time it seems like they flirted with a full band format in the 90s was Play By Numbers, The type of music he describes also lines up with the sort of stuff they had discussed in past interviews regarding the type of music they were into back then. I'm sure someone somewhere has that tape but we'll never get to hear it!

Something like a Soundcloud dump would probably be the best way to go for that stuff, but I'd certainly pay for it. I hope they launch a Bleepstore for BoC when the new release comes out this fall. I'd also happily pay for physical releases of some of it assuming the rights can be cleared...it would be nice just to have the song titles for the R35TT tracks.

I definitely get the idea of respecting their wishes and something like Soundcloud seems too...unmajestic for them. They seem to place a lot of value on presentation for their releases, but I could also see them not feeling the content is worth doing up nicely for a real release, and Soundcloud being just too impersonal.

Dayvan Cowboy
Will pay in eternal servitude and will live in your basement writing music that you can pass off as your own for anyone that has a tape of Marcus playing in his death metal band. Inbox me x

New Seed
Opothecary wrote:I always thought that they started using the name in 1994 which would cover Play By Numbers and Hooper Bay - the story is a little more interesting for Catalog 3/Acid Memories/Closes Vol. 1. In the case of Catalog 3/Closes Vol. 1, the old discography claimed that they had been reissued on CD in 1997.

If they did press these to CD-Rs for friends in 1997, it explains the name on the artwork for Closes Vol. 1 as the known artwork didn't actually exist until 1997. See this thread for more information viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12206&p=238426 about how PIC's originals photos that were used were datestamped 1997 but blurred on the "album cover"

I think I remember reading that story on Reddit and based on the author, he seemed to know them when they were something like 14-15 years old so I'm sure that was long before they had even begun making music that we would think of in the vein of BoC. The only time it seems like they flirted with a full band format in the 90s was Play By Numbers, The type of music he describes also lines up with the sort of stuff they had discussed in past interviews regarding the type of music they were into back then. I'm sure someone somewhere has that tape but we'll never get to hear it!

Something like a Soundcloud dump would probably be the best way to go for that stuff, but I'd certainly pay for it. I hope they launch a Bleepstore for BoC when the new release comes out this fall. I'd also happily pay for physical releases of some of it assuming the rights can be cleared...it would be nice just to have the song titles for the R35TT tracks.

I definitely get the idea of respecting their wishes and something like Soundcloud seems too...unmajestic for them. They seem to place a lot of value on presentation for their releases, but I could also see them not feeling the content is worth doing up nicely for a real release, and Soundcloud being just too impersonal.

Good points - I’d disagree about SoundCloud being too impersonal. Richard’s Dump (har har) has engendered him to his fans more than any of his enigmatic releases, especially with the images and occasional backstories accompanying the tracks.

A BOC release this fall?

I guess like Alice, I should try and believe seven impossible things before breakfast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Seed
I wonder how many expanded that Reddit thread and noticed BOC's name before they were BOC: Wheeltower.

You'd think that would be something to note, no?

Sherbet Head
Joyrex wrote:I wonder how many expanded that Reddit thread and noticed BOC's name before they were BOC: Wheeltower.

You'd think that would be something to note, no?

Thanks much for the link and insights dude. Very interesting read. *scurries off to the dark corners of the web searching for wheeltower*

Sherbet Head
I remember a few years ago there was a thread created here on twoism by a new/unknown user saying he knew Mike and Marcus before they were BOC and they were called Wheeltower and he had recorded music by them (probably on tape I guess). The thread disappeared in a blink of an eye. I think the thread reading count was about 4 or 5 and then it was gone. It always stuck in my mind because the swift way in which it was dealt with, with zero debate and the poster sounded genuine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Joyrex wrote:Good points - I’d disagree about SoundCloud being too impersonal. Richard’s Dump (har har) has engendered him to his fans more than any of his enigmatic releases, especially with the images and occasional backstories accompanying the tracks.

A BOC release this fall?

I guess like Alice, I should try and believe seven impossible things before breakfast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to explain it, but the Soundcloud thing in retrospect is about as RDJ as you can get, and I'm frankly jealous as someone who loves BoC but just enjoys RDJ's work. Just seems like a differing aesthetic for them but I'd take it in a heartbeat.

You didn't get the memo? See you November 10th.

Dayvan Cowboy
Here's a thread about Wheeltower from a few years back (obviously not the one that disappeared from here)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11322

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote:Here's a thread about Wheeltower from a few years back (obviously not the one that disappeared from here)

There's also mention of 'Wheeltower' on watmm from years before the reddit thread.
https://forum.watmm.com/topic/54632-old ... ?p=1278507

New Seed
Opothecary wrote:Here's a thread about Wheeltower from a few years back (obviously not the one that disappeared from here)

That's the Reddit thread I found.

New Seed
Omikron wrote:

There's also mention of 'Wheeltower' on watmm from years before the reddit thread.
https://forum.watmm.com/topic/54632-old ... ?p=1278507

LOL, musta missed that...

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada