Setting the record straight on Eyesix

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Bowerylane wrote:I've recently discovered this forum + Eyesix, been listening to "his" music for the pass few days and thought they were incredible. Such a shame to discover these tracks were stolen...Now for some reason I can't enjoy these tracks anymore..

If it's possible can anyone identify the original creator/name for this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKlclNWaOSc

Thank you.

Edit: I've just discovered the thread "EYESIX/ACYL ORIGINAL SOURCE PROJECT". Probably should've made this post there...Sorry!

Try to remember that these are actual tracks from talented artists. Hate the Eyesix name, not the original makers of the music you enjoyed. :)
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

New Seed
Ok so he stole some music. That doesn't stop him being a talented if troubled musician If by him, this record is excellent: https://carpesonum.bandcamp.com/album/ouija What is he up to these days?

Telepath
voiddweller wrote:Ok so he stole some music. That doesn't stop him being a talented if troubled musician.

I don't think you appreciate the effort that goes into making some of the music he lifted. Working months, heck even years, on your special little baby LP, only for some fuckface to strip it from its meaning and sell it as his own. Sometime you make this music without any rewards, so if someone else sells it with cheap tricks (my laptop is broken again lol!). I can tell you, that smarts like heck! It's kind of like some creepy uncle touching your kids! I don't give a damn how talented you are, you don't do that shit and if you do, there's no reconciliation short of coming out and repaying your dues, as far as I'm concerned. So far he's just been hiding like a scared dog. He doesn't even have the balls to say sorry!

New Seed
I'm not defending him. I agree it was a contemptible thing to do to the person whose music he stole. He likely has/ had some mental issues. It won't stop me liking the music it seems he did make though. Ultimately I don't need to care about the person who made it only the music itself. Of course, I want to know if it's really their music or not because I don't want to be tricked. I also like the music of Burzum. He is a far right murderer - I don't have to like him or agree with his views.

Don't you care about the music in the link I posted above regardless of who made it?

Posts Quantity
Aside from the damage done, I think that makes for a topic in itself--what do artists want out of their presence in the works they produce? With me it's almost anonymity/absence (regardless of the effort in creation), and it seems to fit your view as someone experiencing the work on the other side. Some of us though, I know we see our presence as creator within the work itself differently and sometimes by a good amount. Some of us see the role as a kind of critical part of the work itself. Some see the influence on our work by our experience (including the work of others) differently too. You're probably going to see views from a wide cut of that spectrum here.

Honestly? No, I can't bring myself to care about his 'real' music. How could I? I'd always be wondering if he'd ripped it off from someone else.

Here's the thing. When Jason chose to steal from the people right here on this forum, artists who invested time and effort and love and soul into their craft. And when he then had the nerve to sell it back to that same forum, before blatantly denying his guilt when confronted about it,well I'm afraid he also took any legitimate work of his own, threw it in the bin along with his moral fibre and pissed all over it.

I also used to love the music of Hills West, but I can't glisten to that anymore either. It just brings up too much bile.

Slow down...

New Seed
I agree with much of what you both said in that I agree the persona of a musician often has a bearing on their work and by inference the listener. I know almost nothing about this Eyesix guy other than what I've briefly garnered from this thread. The music in the link I posted really impresses me though. It's like a dark and disturbed BOC. I suppose his disturbed nature impressed itself upon his music, so in that sense I am interested in his persona. I guess the difference between me and those emotionally invested in the fact he stole music is that I can forget about that when I listen to the music it seems he did make. I don't think either perspective is wrong - it's just the nature of differing perspectives.

Boqurant
I have spoken personally to a hand full of musicians that worked with him and they did say he had something,however, why didn't he just ask? like really just ask ?

Many of the people i have met through here on and off the boards happen to be some of the nicest people i have ever met and i am sure some of would let him use some of the samples he lifted (not all ) but some, and could have worked out a deal.

The thing is he didn't, he essentially fucked them over and profited...i think that's the thing that hurts the most.

On another note near the end he was ripping off entire tracks not lifting a stem here and there no, the entire fucking track.

NOPE.

It's one thing to steal music, which is horrible enough in and of itself.
Then, it's another to steal it, then try to sell it as your own work.
Then, it's another to steal it, sell it as your own work, but target your audience as the original artists & their fans.

I do try to look past faults in art. Nobody is perfect, but what was done here had nothing to do with art and with his track record, there'd be no way I would believe that anything under the eyesix or Any Colour You Like monikers were original works by him. I'd always be tempted to make a topic here asking "hey, who really made this?" waiting for somebody to step forward.

I have problems listening to Crystal Castles now because of that mess Ethan Kath and Alice Glass have been tossing back and forth over the last couple of years, but I can still, for the most part, separate artist from art. However, even with them, the bad taste is still in my mouth. With eyesix? I don't even have a mouth...he stole it.

Posts Quantity
Mexicola wrote:Honestly? No, I can't bring myself to care about his 'real' music. How could I? I'd always be wondering if he'd ripped it off from someone else.

Here's the thing. When Jason chose to steal from the people right here on this forum, artists who invested time and effort and love and soul into their craft. And when he then had the nerve to sell it back to that same forum, before blatantly denying his guilt when confronted about it,well I'm afraid he also took any legitimate work of his own, threw it in the bin along with his moral fibre and pissed all over it.

I also used to love the music of Hills West, but I can't glisten to that anymore either. It just brings up too much bile.

I know this is off slightly off topic, but what actually happened to HIlls West? I used to love his stuff.

I'll PM you.

Slow down...

Telepath
Mexicola wrote:I'll PM you.

Why not just post it? (not critique, just wondering)
And is it still too soon to make jokes about Hills West? :P

For the same reason we removed the original posts at the time. There was a victim involved and it didn't take a lot of sleuthing to work out who that person probably was. We're not being enigmatic deliberately I promise you. Our only concern is protecting the person in question. Needless to say Hills can go do one.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
ShaneAnthony wrote:I am also prepared to take legal action against twoism if drifting is not removed from one on twoism volume 6.

[Redacted, didn't see other post.]

Though,

Are we going to go back 10+ years and get rid of the Hills West track? No. Why would we? What's done is done. The music is what it is and is separate from the author - which in this case, we know who was stolen from - I pitched early on that Bocuma replace Eyesix in the credits and he declined. If you want Drifting gone, I totally get it, but threaten legal action? Re: a free compilation no less? Surely you have better things to do, with all due respect.
Last edited by Jonse on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Happy Cycler
Cupz wrote:
Mexicola wrote:I'll PM you.

Why not just post it? (not critique, just wondering)
And is it still too soon to make jokes about Hills West? :P

No, it's not. Though I wouldn't simply because the moderator doesn't want you to and even if I might disagree he is not only the moderator but has a family which is the closest I can say something publicly about why it might be a bigger deal regarding that without going into depth.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

The Shane and Eyesix track...could someone post the Bocuma track Eyesix ripped his bits from?

Previous

Return to This Random Sound