Looking for good TV series

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
I just finished binge watching Rick and Morty last week. I highly recommend it, it's amazing.
Mexicola wrote:Marcus had that beard and longer hair waaaaay back.

Happy Cycler
Cosmic Manta wrote:I just finished binge watching Rick and Morty last week. I highly recommend it, it's amazing.

Hilarious, isn't it? I am in the middle of season 2. So good!

Dayvan Cowboy
Watched The Night Of while away on holiday - best thing I've seen in a while.
Also just finished Billions - very entertaining.

Dayvan Cowboy
vballs wrote:^The leftovers looks intriguing, nice one.

I recently found a British series on Netflix called 'Detectorists'. Its a light comedy simply about a club of people who like to treasure hunt with their metal detectors, I dunno why I like it so much but I do haha.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgN7z0SD8v8

Looks like a chilled out thing to do on sunny afternoon in the middle of nowhere.

Detectorists is a masterpiece, just perfect.

Eagle Minded
Things I've watched in the past couple of months and very much enjoyed:

- Master of None S2
- Narcos S3
- Nirvanna The Band The Show S1
- Ozark S1
- Stranger Things S2

Dayvan Cowboy
Stranger Things spoilers

Spoiler: show
I've gotten into Stranger Things. I always come late to these things. The first season had a well paced and thought out plot serving as scaffolding for great character writing and humour. I particularly liked Eleven, her actor is very expressive.

I'm halfway into S2 and I'm going cold on it. It's got classic second season issues for sure. The plot is more ponderous, the writers made some expedient decisions particularly where the romance plots are concerned, and they're keeping Mike and Eleven apart which is the main character dynamic of the show. I get that she needs development but I wish they'd found a way to do it that didn't involve eliminating that on-screen relationship (and in the process creating a relatively easily resolved tension, again lazy writing imo). Of the new characters Bob is great, Max and her brother less-so. I didn't find Max's sudden will to be part of their group to be very believable. I still like the show but it's less charismatic and there are stretches where my interest wanes. Hopefully it picks up nearer the end, and S3 is in the works so we'll see what happens. TV writing is difficult because you're on a time budget and you've got to get the episodes out come rain or shine, so if you're lucky the inspiration comes, if not you often end up with something contrived and unimaginative.

Sherbet Head
Aerial Boundaries wrote:Stranger Things spoilers

I've gotten into Stranger Things. I always come late to these things. The first season had a well paced and thought out plot serving as scaffolding for great character writing and humour. I particularly liked Eleven, her actor is very expressive.

I'm halfway into S2 and I'm going cold on it. It's got classic second season issues for sure. The plot is more ponderous, the writers made some expedient decisions particularly where the romance plots are concerned, and they're keeping Mike and Eleven apart which is the main character dynamic of the show. I get that she needs development but I wish they'd found a way to do it that didn't involve eliminating that on-screen relationship (and in the process creating a relatively easily resolved tension, again lazy writing imo). Of the new characters Bob is great, Max and her brother less-so. I didn't find Max's sudden will to be part of their group to be very believable. I still like the show but it's less charismatic and there are stretches where my interest wanes. Hopefully it picks up nearer the end, and S3 is in the works so we'll see what happens. TV writing is difficult because you're on a time budget and you've got to get the episodes out come rain or shine, so if you're lucky the inspiration comes, if not you often end up with something contrived and unimaginative.

It does pick up nearer the end with some nice Empire Strikes Back references. But I agree with you not as strong as the first season at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayvan Cowboy
machinea wrote:
Aerial Boundaries wrote:Stranger Things spoilers

It does pick up nearer the end with some nice Empire Strikes Back references. But I agree with you not as strong as the first season at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The episode where Eleven/Jane gets that new look is awesome. The look is awesome, the episode is awesome. Did I mention that look is awesome? With the like, hair and the makeup and all the stuff? Yeah, that's pretty sweet :D

Posts Quantity
Wormwood on Netflix is really great.

Posts Quantity
also High Maintenance from HBO. Season 2 in January.

Sherbet Head
Logan71 wrote:Wormwood on Netflix is really great.

Yeah. Totally changed my perception and belief of what happened to Frank Olson.

So, obviously a CIA psyop!

Just kidding.

I think?

Dayvan Cowboy
Watching Dark on Netflix, really, really good so far, like a mix of Stranger Things, Twin Peaks and The Returned (the French original), except in Germany.

Dayvan Cowboy
jcnporter wrote:Watching Dark on Netflix, really, really good so far, like a mix of Stranger Things, Twin Peaks and The Returned (the French original), except in Germany.

Dark is amazing, I loved the vibe it had. I'm really looking forward to season 2, can't wait!
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Nova Scotia Robot
Dark is fantastic! One of, if not my favourite of recent shows.
I’m currently learning German, so I’m going to watch it again and try to not look at the subtitles as much as I can.
Can’t wait for season 2.

Nova Scotia Robot
I’m also watching the old 80s series Shaka Zulu with my buddy. Good times are being had.

“Kaazoooo!!”

Sherbet Head
"arrested development" was one of the funniest shows i'd seen. highly recommend the first few seasons.

Sherbet Head
Cobra Kai on YouTube ❤️

Sherbet Head
Haven't been watching many shows but I recently just finished 'The First' on hulu - the show itself is OK (very beautiful mind you), but the scoring is so fucking good. Colin Stetson is the man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... GvL9quPI10
www.soundcloud.com/88marquis

Eagle Minded
098234579247692437892347562476924376982476098237409672465845788645785879063569679067346904387690709576093760937657609347609347603498765890675967390467093485670958760986709367
Mexicola wrote:Marcus had that beard and longer hair waaaaay back.

Dayvan Cowboy
Just finished The Haunting of Hill House, gotta say I fucking loved it. All these reports about people fainting/puking while watching is proper bullshit, it's pretty light in the horror department.

However, the show is really good at telling it's story, a well written proper spooky drama. Episode 6 was really fucking special cinematography wise, with some of the best long shot's I've ever seen. I recommend this to horror fans, and just fans of good tv shows as well.

Here is an answer to a question of an interviewer talking about episode 6, just about recording it, no actual spoilers;

That episode was part of our original pitch to Netflix. I’d said I wanted to do an episode that appeared to be executed in a single take. The reality of what that entailed didn’t become clear until we started rehearsing the episode. We shut down the company for over a month to choreograph and rehearse each of our five long takes. The longest was 17 minutes. There was no room for error at all, and if we made a mistake, we had to start over. We rehearsed for almost a month with our second team stand-ins before we even folded the cast into the process. By then, we had already filmed the entire episode with stand-ins and rehearsed the camera moves. When the cast arrived, I showed them the shots and said, “This is what we have to do.” It was the single hardest thing any of us on the crew had ever attempted, and it almost killed us. I remember sitting at monitor when it finally came time to actually shoot, and I was powerless to do anything but watch and hope. The entire crew had to work together, and if one element went wrong, we were cooked. It was harrowing.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground