GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
dp wrote:Let's not forget that the "radio silence" between TCH and TH was way more... silent. If I'm not mistaken, all we had was a black box for two years. At least this time around we have a weird Twitter game going on. They will release a new record soon. Probably this year if I had to guess.

Also this.

Sherbet Head
Either on or before 2021 there should be a release. Going by what they said in the interview. 8 years between TCH and TH.. So the same or less

Eagle Minded
Yawn. They aren't done making music.

Something is definitely on the horizon. Might be this year, might be next year... no one knows. But to take some imaginative leap and declare they are never going to release anything again seems quite preposterous, especially given a lot of their interview quotes and twitter likes regarding new music. These things take time. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather them take their good old time with their artwork then rush through it. I don't care if I have to wait another 5 years (that would be rough though).

Boqurant
TaoTapeTao wrote:They're paranoid about the internet, cynical about the environment, self - described nihilists who don't believe in humanity anymore. If anything they'd release something to fulfill a contract with Warp, and they most certainly don't care about impact beyond that.

Sorry, but i think that's a little bit far fetched. They're most likely 2 very normal guys with families, bills and other things going on in their lives just like everyone else. Boards of Canada won't be the only thing they live and breathe. A new release will happen eventually, just need to be patient!

Sherbet Head
I can wait another 5 years easy, listening to all the current stuff never gets boring for me.

And when something new arrives it'll be a blessing.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Posts Quantity
yeah, they're just a band! The world's ending for all of us, I doubt they're so preoccupied by it that they've put all the synths on gumtree and curled up in the fetal position. There'll be an album eventually, I'm happy to wait.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think BOC would either wait till 2022 and release something Geogadi part2 in 20 the anniversary of the album.
Or, they will release something on 2020, but also in contrast to Tomorrow;s Harvest it will be something similar to Campfire Headphase. Many warm, nostalgic sounds, probably with some acoustic instruments. A complete 180 from the previous album. I even see a possible release date - 2020.02.20

Eagle Minded
a fresh Hell Interface release would suit the times we're living in.
preparation for a dive.

Eagle Minded
I feel pretty thirsty for some type of sign that they are thinking of their fans, no matter how insignificant of a sign. The patience game is tough to play when you regard BoC as your favourite musical act :l

Posts Quantity
They said the wait wouldn't be as long as last time right? I'm hoping that if we don't get anything by the end of this year we should be getting something in 2020. Waiting is tough, if they were to announce something I could probably cry from happiness, though considering most people here have been waiting for longer than me I can't really complain much :lol:
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Eagle Minded
I don't know if they said anything like that, but if anyone knows I'd be interested to see the quote. I feel like something will be released early 2020, but that is no more than an imaginative hunch. They were "liking" a bunch of tweets mostly revolving around a new album back in October, but since then it has been complete radio silence except for the tweet about Pete Standing Alone when he passed (RIP). It wouldn't take much to tide me over in the waiting game, for instance if MDG were to pop up or even if we saw another tweet. No worries, though.

I'm interested to see what type of direction they'll take in the next album. I am sure it will contain the quintessential BoC complexities, but I am curious as towards what approach they'll take. Will it be dark like Tomorrow's Harvest? Chill like The Campfire Headphase? We can only wait and see. Gets me really excited just thinking about it, though.

Posts Quantity
tonx wrote:a fresh Hell Interface release would suit the times we're living in.

I've been thinking that for quite a while. It would be interesting to hear what a HI album of new material would sound like - maybe some of the more extreme parts of Geogaddi?

Posts Quantity
I can't help but hope that the next release will be something huge. If I remember well, either mdg or the brothers once said circa TH's release that they had several albums close to be finished. Knowing this, plus seeing the years that have passed since TH, plus also considering the rumors about a box set of old stuff, all this raises my expectations for some big announcement. But hey, even a single LP would be awesome.

I also wonder if we're going to see a new exciting ARG like in 2013 or if they'll go for something simpler this time.

For now I think the closest we are to hear new stuff is if a 30th Warp anniversary compilation gets released. But still, are we sure it's going to happen?

Posts Quantity
I'd be stoked if the next release was really long, like 6-8 sides of vinyl. Fingers crossed for some news this year!

Eagle Minded
GeoDose wrote:I'd be stoked if the next release was really long, like 6-8 sides of vinyl. Fingers crossed for some news this year!

I think that'd legit bring a tear to my eye. Oof, just thinking of it makes me feel akin to dreaming of the lottery. That would be epic <3

Posts Quantity
Would be pretty mind blowing and awesome if they somehow announced news for a new release this year. Would make the year full of a lot of new releases from artists I love even cooler!
That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(
Rateyourmusic account: https://rateyourmusic.com/~PrezSquid
WATMM account: https://forum.watmm.com/profile/23101-p ... squidward/

Sherbet Head
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boards_of_Canada

Major releases
Studio albums
Music Has the Right to Children (Warp/Skam, 1998) #193 UK
Geogaddi (Warp/Music70, 2002) #21 UK
The Campfire Headphase (Warp, 2005) #41 UK
Tomorrow's Harvest (Warp, 2013) #7 UK, #13 US
Receiver (Warp, 2019)

NANI????
HoodedFreak on Youtube
Interface on WATMM

Dayvan Cowboy
AFX.NL wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boards_of_Canada

Major releases
Studio albums
Music Has the Right to Children (Warp/Skam, 1998) #193 UK
Geogaddi (Warp/Music70, 2002) #21 UK
The Campfire Headphase (Warp, 2005) #41 UK
Tomorrow's Harvest (Warp, 2013) #7 UK, #13 US
Receiver (Warp, 2019)

NANI????

Edit made by 73.185.164.150 at 13:28 today. Swiftly removed.
Looking up IP all I can find is that it is in the US, the customer used Comcast and it was created in march of 2014.

Likely nothing of consequence, but I secretly want those words to be rubbed in my face and this to be "it" as I am sure many of you do.

Dayvan Cowboy
It is also the only wikipedia edit made from that IP. I was looking for instances of planting false information or making edits to other pages etc.

The probability still leans heavily towards it being an edit by a random fan hoping to get a reaction, who knows at this stage, though. I doubt they will want to go for the TH style release again.

Sherbet Head
my body says yes, but me cold hexagonal heart says no

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada