GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I have been saving up a collection of ron paul gifs.
I fear they will never be used. Truly a tragedy.

Posts Quantity
This is it

Sherbet Head
Cyclosa wrote:This is it

I like your avatar.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:It is also the only wikipedia edit made from that IP. I was looking for instances of planting false information or making edits to other pages etc.

The probability still leans heavily towards it being an edit by a random fan hoping to get a reaction, who knows at this stage, though. I doubt they will want to go for the TH style release again.

Curious how much/when that same IP address appears in twoism’s logs.
preparation for a dive.

Eagle Minded
Sounds more like a cheesy tycho album than something boc would use lol

Posts Quantity
ParticleGhost wrote:Sounds more like a cheesy tycho album than something boc would use lol

lmao true

tycho I've never been that big on honestly. always thought he was okay.
That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(
Rateyourmusic account: https://rateyourmusic.com/~PrezSquid
WATMM account: https://forum.watmm.com/profile/23101-p ... squidward/

Boqurant
Going by previous album titles, i think the whole 'Receiver' thing is fake. Title is way too simple. Who's to say though.

Dayvan Cowboy
whyte wrote:Going by previous album titles, i think the whole 'Receiver' thing is fake. Title is way too simple. Who's to say though.

some ideas

phpBB [media]

BOC cyberpunk 2077 edition

Posts Quantity
Yeah man yeah! Boards of Canada are gonna put better recordings of all of their live shows on Bandcamp as well as all of their back releases in hi-bitrate wav files that everybody will be able to play once we all get new computers or tablets even and then and then the bro's are gonna SELL vinyl specially priced at Walmart but don't forget "Geogaddi" it's gonna be that rare book type case and that gonna get a rare case too. It's gonna be all the jive. Bomb-diggity digital stuff swot we like.

NEW!

But hey, WAIT! Remember Mixman Studio? They're working on a new Remix app and Boards of Canada are gonna have sample packs too. Aw brother, it's gonna be sweet. Infinate Lines of colorful REMIXES times "Seven Forty Sevens" Yeah, that's TIGHT.

Go to jail, do not collect Boards of Canada's music, do not win the lottery. Just go to bleep. The new Broads of Canaworms is in stock for YOU!

:arrow: mixman.com

Dayvan Cowboy
^u all right bro?

Posts Quantity
bruh
That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(
Rateyourmusic account: https://rateyourmusic.com/~PrezSquid
WATMM account: https://forum.watmm.com/profile/23101-p ... squidward/

Sherbet Head
ParticleGhost wrote:Sounds more like a cheesy tycho album than something boc would use lol

phpBB [media]

lol

Eagle Minded
Monthly courtesy check-in. Business as usual.

Sherbet Head
clenci wrote:Yeah man yeah! Boards of Canada are gonna put better recordings of all of their live shows on Bandcamp as well as all of their back releases in hi-bitrate wav files that everybody will be able to play once we all get new computers or tablets even and then and then the bro's are gonna SELL vinyl specially priced at Walmart but don't forget "Geogaddi" it's gonna be that rare book type case and that gonna get a rare case too. It's gonna be all the jive. Bomb-diggity digital stuff swot we like.

NEW!

But hey, WAIT! Remember Mixman Studio? They're working on a new Remix app and Boards of Canada are gonna have sample packs too. Aw brother, it's gonna be sweet. Infinate Lines of colorful REMIXES times "Seven Forty Sevens" Yeah, that's TIGHT.

Go to jail, do not collect Boards of Canada's music, do not win the lottery. Just go to bleep. The new Broads of Canaworms is in stock for YOU!

:arrow: mixman.com

Hello Xaugh.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Eagle Minded
at least in that album Tycho used some actual downtempo electronic beats for some songs... rather than the same old upbeat dance version of fake lo-fi electronic tape music.... there was a newer song they released that sounded more experimental which was surprising considering Tycho sounds very "plugin-ish" and polished and "plasticy" in a way that causes me anxiety as a listener sometimes.... I saw them live and there was a "hidden" team of people on laptops near the left stage that were constantly sending samples to the controllers they were using.... it honestly made me sad as a musician and made me remember the BOC interview where one of the brothers mentions a well-known high priority electronic musician friend had once said he played a show live where he "pretended" to play instruments to a backing cassette mix with pre-recorded material........ it made me not repsect Tycho more than I already didn't.... lol There are other songs by Tycho that I really dig such as his very early more downtempo IDM experimental stuff, or like the song "Adrift".... that song to me is pure bliss.... but some others not so much..... I think he spent more time trying to capture only one type of aspect to what he liked about BOC rather than realizing that they put so much of a physical effort to achieve what we here... such as the brothers claiming in interviews that they rarely ever use physical effects boxes to achieve their weirdness... which completely blows me away haha o.O ....really? so most of the crazy effects on Geogaddi are not hardware effects but achieved through the recording process??? that blows me away haha... Tycho imho cannot fathom that level of musical achievement and prowess........

Eagle Minded
Soul_Slip wrote: ...so most of the crazy effects on Geogaddi are not hardware effects but achieved through the recording process??? that blows me away haha... Tycho imho cannot fathom that level of musical achievement and prowess........

Yeah, Geogaddi was revolutionary in many senses. They truly are masters of the recording process, if it were possible to get an honorary doctorate in that, they'd get it :twisted: Tycho doesn't even come close, but then again, it probably isn't all that fair to compare them. I think someone like Tame Impala's Kevin Parker is much more talented in the recording arena than Tycho.

But enough about Tycho. Let's get back to BoC.

Eagle Minded
I wish they had filmed their studio process much like how pink floyd documented the process from almost every one of their albums... or even see footage of them modding some of their music tech!...
I honestly wouldn’t mind the album title “Receiver” as long as it was 100% experimental psychedelic tunes like Geogddi or Basefree or tape loops or a “showcase” of their newfound technical skill in some really wild new area of music we haven’t heard much of yet.... but, on the other hand I am sure it was just a prank

Eagle Minded
I know that the Wikipedia edit was 99.9% a fan messing with all of us:

But here's a weird thing I thought of. Not too long ago, the second to last tweet that BoC liked read exactly like this: a fan named a__pylon exclaimed "being a pylon and stuff, i can hear it already in the cracks of the scottish sky: your next one is going to short circuit me for good. well, can't wait" (https://twitter.com/a__pylon/status/1050015699580653568)

Well, radio reception can be impaired under a power line, due to shielding of a RECEIVER antenna by the overhead conductors, which creates radio noise. Power lines are either single CIRCUITS or multiple CIRCUITS where high-voltage lines are often carried on PYLONS or steel lattices. We've heard the radio static snippets throughout a few songs of BoC's oeuvre. The like of the tweet is most likely related to their song "Music for Pylons" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlXVfNRVLEM). But what really made me write this post in the first place was the way that Tomorrow's Harvest ends with the static fading out in Semena Mertvykh. Maybe the static that it ends with starts back up in the beginning of the next album, or perhaps makes another appearance at some point in the next release. I don't even know where I'm going with this one, and almost feel the need to apologize to the reader for taking the time to read this. You probably lost a few brain cells from this nonsensical rambling. But what messes with me is why BoC would choose to like that specific obscure-as-hell tweet out of thousands of comments they get.

I must say, this is NOT serious and I am just entertaining myself with nonsense. But it fits with my schtick with coming up with off-the-wall ideations and theories to keep us thinking during the downtime. Carry on.

Friendly Stranger
Soul_Slip wrote:at least in that album Tycho used some actual downtempo electronic beats for some songs... rather than the same old upbeat dance version of fake lo-fi electronic tape music.... there was a newer song they released that sounded more experimental which was surprising considering Tycho sounds very "plugin-ish" and polished and "plasticy" in a way that causes me anxiety as a listener sometimes.... I saw them live and there was a "hidden" team of people on laptops near the left stage that were constantly sending samples to the controllers they were using.... it honestly made me sad as a musician and made me remember the BOC interview where one of the brothers mentions a well-known high priority electronic musician friend had once said he played a show live where he "pretended" to play instruments to a backing cassette mix with pre-recorded material........ it made me not repsect Tycho more than I already didn't.... lol There are other songs by Tycho that I really dig such as his very early more downtempo IDM experimental stuff, or like the song "Adrift".... that song to me is pure bliss.... but some others not so much..... I think he spent more time trying to capture only one type of aspect to what he liked about BOC rather than realizing that they put so much of a physical effort to achieve what we here... such as the brothers claiming in interviews that they rarely ever use physical effects boxes to achieve their weirdness... which completely blows me away haha o.O ....really? so most of the crazy effects on Geogaddi are not hardware effects but achieved through the recording process??? that blows me away haha... Tycho imho cannot fathom that level of musical achievement and prowess........

Dude, I'm afraid you're way off here. Maybe you just get a real kick out of bashing a band just for the hell of it.

How are Tycho "pretending to play instruments"? They perform as an actual four piece band, playing real instruments. Drums, bass, guitars, analog synths. Do they trigger the occasional sample (mainly pads and extra percussion)? Sure. But 95% of the live show is a pretty damn tight band doing its thing. If you really saw them live as you claim, you wouldn't have missed that.

Also as for Tycho sounding "plugin-ish" and "plasticy". Anyone who knows the first thing about gear will understand there's a (not so) small fortune hidden in Scott Hansen's studio just by looking at his Instagram. Vintage and modern top of the line recording equipment (Neve, SSL, UA, ELI etc.), lots of classic analog synths (Moog, Korg, Sequential etc.) and FX (Roland, Lexicon, Ursa Major). His sonic aesthetic may not be for you but by making these sweeping statements and vague and factually inaccurate assumptions you only prove that you're completely missing the point.

Don't get me wrong, I love BoC to death but this blind worshiping paired with this idea that Tycho's spent the past 13 years (since the release of the record you were referring to) trying to out-BoC the bros themselves... Come on.

And to stir the pot a little more, exactly how "live" do you think BoC's sporadic shows really were? Try to be a little objective.

Posts Quantity
Mozart wrote:But what really made me write this post in the first place was the way that Tomorrow's Harvest ends with the static fading out in Semena Mertvykh. Maybe the static that it ends with starts back up in the beginning of the next album

Oh man I like how that sounds, if that ever happens I would totally lose my shit.
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada