Alpha and Omega

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
The slower Beware the Friendly Stranger is ruddy marvellous.

Eagle Minded
The promo copy has a locked groove at the end of Beware The Friendly Stranger so the static-y kids voices just loop forever. It's some creepy shit really.

Posts Quantity
Was it you that said you heard yellow? How can you hear yellow when I seen navy blue when looking at the night sky?

I heard a female voice saying yellow in the song "Alpha and Omega" by the brothers in that band Boards of Canada.

Maybe she said Youlow or Yo Low yo low meaning a shout out to the band "Low" for their copying of Boards of Canada''s sad style.

Maybe that means Boards of Canada's new album will be a happier album seeing they're millionaires now and that can hide in little places like "Pubs" or maybe they're "Alway's Up" sitting on a couch scared to leave their place of shizness. Wizzle with Lazlo.

Dayvan Cowboy
Low are fucking rad, Xaugh. Have you heard their new album? Amazing stuff.

It's a stretch to say that Low ripped off BoC.

Eagle Minded
dp wrote:Low are fucking rad, Xaugh. Have you heard their new album? Amazing stuff.

I have known Alan Sparhawk personally for a long time! He is from a town called Duluth that is only an hour away. Over the past five six years, I have ran sound as an audio engineer for a few local Duluth bars and have ran the sound for Low on multiple occasions. I personally enjoy his other band “Retribution Gospel Choir” and can say they remind me of Nirvana x AC/DC x Black Sabbath and maybe mix in a few lo-fi samplers.... one time they were doing sound check at the bar I was working at called “The Red Herring” and they were so powerful and loud I could hear everything clear as day from about 6 blocks away! They killed it that night!

Dayvan Cowboy
Oh wow dude that's awesome! Low have been one of my favorite bands for years. I'm super jealous!

Eagle Minded
dp wrote:Oh wow dude that's awesome! Low have been one of my favorite bands for years. I'm super jealous!

It was one of the best times of my life... running sound for those years... so many good... and terribly bad musical performances... although i have a soft spot for terrible music haha I love it all! Those years really taught from ground up the proper ways to mix and record music, whether it be for myself or another artist or band. “Mid-Side” recording/mixing is how my teacher taught me and it changed everything for me.... my first album was good and nostalgic but nothing compared to what I am doing now... :)
Alpha and Omega is my second favorite song by BoC. I would love to achieve that complexity and play with percussion and keys.... it almost sounds like they essentially created an entire polyrhythm with the entire song.... including all of the intricate parts... their use of “Hemiola” in music theory is absolutely astounding and better than almost any other artist I have ever heard... I love the off timing percussions

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip wrote:
dp wrote:Low are fucking rad, Xaugh. Have you heard their new album? Amazing stuff.

I have known Alan Sparhawk personally for a long time! He is from a town called Duluth that is only an hour away. Over the past five six years, I have ran sound as an audio engineer for a few local Duluth bars and have ran the sound for Low on multiple occasions. I personally enjoy his other band “Retribution Gospel Choir” and can say they remind me of Nirvana x AC/DC x Black Sabbath and maybe mix in a few lo-fi samplers.... one time they were doing sound check at the bar I was working at called “The Red Herring” and they were so powerful and loud I could hear everything clear as day from about 6 blocks away! They killed it that night!

Oh hey, you’re only an hour away from Duluth? Nice! I live out in rural west-central MN about an hour outside the Cities. My band plays around the metro a lot and we’ve talked about going up to Duluth for some shows. Maybe I’ll run into you at some point!

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Soul_Slip wrote:

Oh hey, you’re only an hour away from Duluth? Nice! I live out in rural west-central MN about an hour outside the Cities. My band plays around the metro a lot and we’ve talked about going up to Duluth for some shows. Maybe I’ll run into you at some point!

Oh dude! Awesome! I would actually love to meet up haha maybe in the future, your band could come and record something at my studio for free! I absolutely love recording and meeting new awesome musicians! I have a band called Kevlar that is based in Brooklyn Park, MN and we are 100% live analog improv! We are working on an album and are hoping to find gigs to play! We should all hang sometime soon!

Eagle Minded
Finally got a proper capture of the vinyl promo:

phpBB [media]

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada