Could use Help From Producers on this Board

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Hey all!
I wanted to ask for some assistance on some things, and honestly I know the quality of some of the musicians on here! ala One on Twoism, and I still listen to Saturday Index at least weekly.

Ive been curious about the best way to record my synths/drum machines/samplers with regards to the way I come up with ideas.

Basically I use a lot of older (and newer) gear when I play around and I just want some advice on the best way to record and get songs together. Usually I just hook up the gear I'm currently playing and just mess around, but I've come up with more than enough ideas/saved patches, samples & sequences etc. to create a few tracks.

Basically I'm trying to figure out some different ways to streamline all this with MIDI and kind of the best possible route to go about this.

Just for reference sake, here's what I currently have set up:

Synths:
ARP Odyssey
Roland SE-02
Roland SH-101
Roland SH-01a
Roland JX-3P
Roland TB-03
Arturia Minibrute 2s

Drum Machines:
Roland TR-08
Roland TR-606
Jomox Alpha Base

Samplers:
Akai MPC X
Akai S3000XL
Ensoniq Mirage

I also have a couple reel to reels.

I don't like the idea of recording each piece of gear individually unto the tape or DAW (plus I don't own a reel to reel with enough tracks). Would it be better to sequence each individual piece of gear through the DAW through MIDI and then record the whole take back into the computer through an audio interface? The MPC X is great for sequencing both MIDI and CV, but then should I cycle the audio BACK through the MPC? These things confuse me!

I like sampling through my Mirage or Akai S3000XL more than my MPC X or DAW, whats the best way using the computer or gear I have to trigger these samples alongside my Jomox and synths?

Also I have a good number of pedal and rackmount effects I like. Is it possible to have an FX send from the computer to this gear and re record it back with the effects added.

Forgive my ignorance on this issue... I'm just trying to gather all the knowledge I can.

I appreciate ANY and all help I can get on this issue!!!!!

Sherbet Head
Come by at the "Synthesisers, yo" discord channel, many producer/experienced people on there that will gladly help you with your issue.

https://discord.gg/HF94kS9
Suck my BUTT

Eagle Minded
One way to do it would be to use the MPC X as the master MIDI/CV sequencer for as much gear as possible, run all the gear's audio outs through a quality mixing board to control levels, and then run the stereo out signal from the mixing board back into the MPC X. Biggest headache is routing the MIDI/CV properly, but when it's all set up and done right the timing sync of everything is amazing and can outperform a PC/MAC based DAW, especially when multi-tracking audio.

You could also use the Mirage (if its the keyboard) as a master keyboard for everything by running the MIDI out from that into the MPC X and then routing that keyboard input MIDI to whichever instrument. Plug the out from the Mirage into input 3 or 4 on the MPC and you can sample jam over your played back sequences also.

Posts Quantity
I do this.

Stage 1:

Compose in Daw
Daw midi> Synth
Synth Midi & Audio To Daw

Stage 2:

Daw>console
Console> outboard gear>
Everything to Daw
>Print to tape > everything back to daw

Stage:3

Mix in console or daw>
Console> Outboard>
Master Print to Tape.

Id only use hardware sequencers if I need it for a special purpose.
But Daws have billion sequencing options.

Eagle Minded
Kyla wrote:I do this.

Stage 1:

Compose in Daw
Daw midi> Synth
Synth Midi & Audio To Daw

Stage 2:

Daw>console
Console> outboard gear>
Everything to Daw
>Print to tape > everything back to daw

Stage:3

Mix in console or daw>
Console> Outboard>
Master Print to Tape.

Id only use hardware sequencers if I need it for a special purpose.
But Daws have billion sequencing options.

This! ^

Return to This Random Sound