One on Twoism volume 7, how to continue?

WE DON'T BЯAINWASH

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

How to continue?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:10 pm

Re-open contributions and postpone the release of OoT7
59%
Continue with OoT7 and let someone else do the mixing
32%
End the One on Twoism project
3%
Something else.... (please explain)
6%

Total votes: 34

Site Admin
After multiple attempts I sadly came to the conclusion that I can't make anything out of all the submissions I got. It's a combination of the amount of songs, the diversity and the quality. So I see no other option than to throw in the towel, sorry.

Since OoT always have been a collective community output I'd like to put up a poll to hear the opinion of those who care about the next step. Though I think everyone should consider the downfall of interest in the forum over the years. The boards activity has been discussed before and although I see it revives in days of BoC news, the average interest has dropped. The way we visit twoism possibly has changed due to the way internet and most of our lives has developed over time.

Let's see where the poll will steer us.
Life is a Frequency

Sherbet Head
"After multiple attempts I sadly came to the conclusion that I can't make anything out of all the submissions I got. It's a combination of the amount of songs, the diversity and the quality."

Are you saying there is just too much diversity in the submissions to create a themed/comprehensive mix that makes sense and all fits together well?

The amount of songs can be fixed very well. just refuse some submissions. heck I'll gladly give my spot away if it is just to make OoT7 Happen.

"Re-open contributions and postpone the release of OoT7" This option isn't going to fix this issue, you can't fix stuff thats already not working great together just by putting more stuff in IE more work and postpone. postponing neither fixes the issue.

"End the One on Twoism project" That would be too sad, down the line another collective would take over and make tapes/mixes with user submissions. just less professional than what you accomplished <3 :mrgreen:

"Continue with OoT7 and let someone else do the mixing" Viable option if we're able to find someone without having to bring ink and paper/money into that.

You are absolutely right about this board's life shrinking more and more and only having some life at each releases every decade, but I see it fit that a last One on Twoism would be released right as the release of BoC's next album thats going to bring an influx of people in here for just a month or two.

Just know that whatever you have to do for your personal sanity/happiness comes first and that OoT is just a small project that we partake in for fun. Doesn't need to be as professional as the other releases too, just some compilation that the forum can identify with and be content and say "this is ours, we made this!"
Suck my BUTT

Sherbet Head
Also wondering, is Twoism Records still going to be a thing?
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
I am happy to assist with mixing despite the fact I don't have an entry. It would be a saddening day if the towel was officially thrown in and many people I notice like the opportunity to have their music heard and appreciated by a wider audience than if they were just releasing it on its own without any marketing.

I can't promise to do a phenomenal job, but I have time on my hands for the next few months and other members here that I have spoken to and shared music with privately can attest to my abilities with audio work. There is a way, regardless of the length and the diversity of sound, to make it all cohesive. It is a much more complex puzzle than previous releases might have been, but a satisfactory answer exists, I am sure of it.

Dayvan Cowboy
A method that might be of use:
Rank all of the tracks in order of intensity and then split the album into three sections, the middle of each section should have a heavier or more uptempo/intense track surrounded by ones that are slightly softer. It should follow a waveform with three peaks. The softest tracks should be between these peaks.

Rank each track from 1-10 in terms of intensity and then map them to the (very crudely made in paint) graph above.

Dayvan Cowboy
impressive attempt at giving aesthetics a lesson on how to make mixes

i voted for postpone, re-open contributions, i guess the missing step 3 is hope for inspiration from something new that comes in. I get TSP comment about adding more not improving the quality of the existing contributions but you can replace, not add, you know?

in short, we know your skills as a mix producer, some of the transitions we've had on oot so far have been really inspired, so i think if you can't find a good mix with the current tracks, i'm not holding my breath that anyone else can.

Posts Quantity
Hmm unexpected and saddening. I'm just coming up for air again and saw this post. I suppose this highlights how closely a community exists around a shared interest...very symbiotic. Hmm.
[ .... ... .. . .. … …. ]
http://clocolan.space

Dayvan Cowboy
I apologise if that came across as somewhat condescending. Ae has shown himself incredibly capable and I wouldn't doubt that for a second based on what has been presented historically. Moreso (capable) than me and I wasn't attempting to school anyone as an inferior. It is a method I have employed myself when I have been in situations in which the natural order of tracks doesn't seem to be something that comes naturally and one that I find works in situations where the tracks seem too stylistically different to each other to find a sequential order. It was more a "try this as a last resort and see what comes of it" rather than completely throwing the project down the drain.

At a point in which the project risks being completely discarded, even offering up something trivial in the hope that it may help can't be too bad a thing to do, can it? I am out of work at the moment and if the OOT7 album is more a case of hours spent, I have quite a few to offer for nothing in return if it will help secure the future of something that has now become tradition.

I will admit that the "graph" (in the loosest possible sense of the term) was beyond crude; I've had a migraine all day.

Posts Quantity
No.

Site Admin
Thank for the support and the supportive words Techboy :) I do understand Valotonins euphoric helping hand. No apologies needed man.

Mixing different styles is something I really like to do. If you have 3 hours of spare time and want a showcase of that then check this radioshow where I mix different styles and music eras with each other. It starts sort of coherent and slowly turns into all sort of styles. Also all my yearly best of mixes mostly are a great example of that.

The thing with OoT is that there isn't the world of choices. In previous volumes there are a lot of transitions that aren't even mixed but "connected" where the songs did the magic. Most of them have been created out of mini mixes with songs that fit well together where I managed to put the mini mixes in a logic sounding order. Or just a hard break to continue into a new chapter. Sometimes I even had to drop the most beautiful entries because there were no "soulmates".

This time there are a lot of stand alone's and I don't have much tracks to pick from too. I have to admit that I don't mix as much as I did. I stopped mixing the yearly "best of" mixes too a couple of years ago. So perhaps I miss the sharpness and am less "fit" that I can imagine. Even if I was, I can't make it happen so that's the reason why I want to offer to let someone else do the thing.

TheStatPow wrote:Are you saying there is just too much diversity in the submissions to create a themed/comprehensive mix that makes sense and all fits together well?
Yes, too much diversity and not much "soulmates".

TheStatPow wrote:The amount of songs can be fixed very well. just refuse some submissions. heck I'll gladly give my spot away if it is just to make OoT7 Happen.
I always drop submission which don't fit the flow of the mix.

TheStatPow wrote:"Re-open contributions and postpone the release of OoT7" This option isn't going to fix this issue, you can't fix stuff thats already not working great together just by putting more stuff in IE more work and postpone. postponing neither fixes the issue.
This sure might help to create mini mixes (as described above) and give me more tunes to choose from. Though I'm not sure if there is enough interest and will trigger new contenders.

TheStatPow wrote:Also wondering, is Twoism Records still going to be a thing?

Yes, it still is a thing but I'm not actively searching for candidates atm. Let's say it is on hold for now.
Life is a Frequency

Sherbet Head
Possibly a controversial suggestion but perhaps having a theme (Fake news) has thrown a curve ball to a lot of artists and maybe created such a varied interpretation of the subject that it is difficult to stitch it all together. Ive no idea, just hyptohersizing but what if there was no theme and then let the flood gates open for more artists to contribute?

The other OoT albums arent themed are they or are they and I havnt noticed? haha :)

Would be a massive shame to have you throw in the Towel Aesthetics and a bigger shame to have no more OoT`s.

Boqurant
vballs wrote:Possibly a controversial suggestion but perhaps having a theme (Fake news) has thrown a curve ball to a lot of artists and maybe created such a varied interpretation of the subject that it is difficult to stitch it all together.

As a contributor who hurried to make the original deadline - this was my biggest worry about my submission: That I failed to nail the theme and therefore my track wouldn't 'fit.'
+++++++++++++++++++++
bandcamp

Site Admin
vballs wrote:Possibly a controversial suggestion but perhaps having a theme (Fake news) has thrown a curve ball to a lot of artists and maybe created such a varied interpretation of the subject that it is difficult to stitch it all together. Ive no idea, just hyptohersizing but what if there was no theme and then let the flood gates open for more artists to contribute?

The other OoT albums arent themed are they or are they and I havnt noticed? haha :)

Would be a massive shame to have you throw in the Towel Aesthetics and a bigger shame to have no more OoT`s.
Valid point vballs but we've had theme's before. Perhaps this one was to vaguely, I don't know. It seems the community has a slight preference towards a restart so that should be one without a theme. Certainly considering bendu's post.
Life is a Frequency

Happy Cycler
vballs wrote:Possibly a controversial suggestion but perhaps having a theme (Fake news) has thrown a curve ball to a lot of artists and maybe created such a varied interpretation of the subject that it is difficult to stitch it all together. Ive no idea, just hyptohersizing but what if there was no theme and then let the flood gates open for more artists to contribute?

I was thinking the same thing. While there may have been themes in the past, none were both as in-your-face and / or open to interpretation as this one was.

I voted for re-open submissions... and I am thinking about what I might have laying around.

Friendly Stranger
Sorry to go off topic but could Aesthetics drop me a PM. I go back to 2006 but can’t get into my account. I’m one of the Uber’s who went to Earlyburn, honest..... :D

Release the compilation under a different name? This is Fake News after all. If you branch this one off of the OOT name, the theme makes it make sense, especially if the artist responses are all over the place (like the world is right now). Don't even bother mixing it? Just a standalone compilation of the best 12 or so tracks.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Happy Cycler
2020k wrote:Release the compilation under a different name? This is Fake News after all. If you branch this one off of the OOT name, the theme makes it make sense, especially if the artist responses are all over the place (like the world is right now). Don't even bother mixing it? Just a standalone compilation of the best 12 or so tracks.

I think you are onto something here. How about setting it up so that it sounds like you are randomly flipping through channels on television? No need for a solid musical continuity in that sense.

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:
I think you are onto something here. How about setting it up so that it sounds like you are randomly flipping through channels on television? No need for a solid musical continuity in that sense.

Again, I have no entry in the project but I do take an interest.
There is a certain synchronicity between this and last night's Societas mixtape, which featured segments of radio-chatter, sound segments and static to act as padding and interludes between a wildly diverse set of sounds.

I think applying that, in sound, to a television format would be a beautiful way to resolve the issue as Mechanismj has stated.

I second the "Flipping between channels" idea.

Happy Cycler
Valotonin wrote:
mechanismj wrote:

Again, I have no entry in the project but I do take an interest.
There is a certain synchronicity between this and last night's Societas mixtape, which featured segments of radio-chatter, sound segments and static to act as padding and interludes between a wildly diverse set of sounds.

I think applying that, in sound, to a television format would be a beautiful way to resolve the issue as Mechanismj has stated.

I second the "Flipping between channels" idea.

Oh, damn! Talk about serendipity. This idea is even more apt now.

Site Admin
I like that idea!

Does anyone know where to find copyright free sounds like that.. or someone who can possibly create some?
Life is a Frequency

Next

Return to Twoism Records