A big, BIG quandry

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
What would be your reaction if BoC were interviewed and openly said that they believed that the earth is flat?

:shock:

obv this thread is just for fun and could open up some fun discussion, to pass the time obviously.
You could feel the bullshit

Ok, so we've discussed the whole FE thing as infinitum. Let's keep this to discussing the BOC angle, rather than the usual FE debate. If it goes off topic we can move to The Playground or lock etc.

In the meantime, Twoism, play nicely ;-)

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
yeah lets not get into that whole can of crazy worms. I have not seen any discussions on here about either so I guess this is a new subject for me on twoism.

Dayvan Cowboy
Well as artists making unexpectedly wrong statements goes in 2019 it's on the benign side, so I wouldn't have to worry about whether it's OK to like them any more like I've had to with certain others. I think I might ask them if they've actually studied their video for Dayvan Cowboy though :lol:

Happy Cycler
This is an impossibility since they understand math.

Posts Quantity
mechanismj wrote:This is an impossibility since they understand math.

Good answer! :mrgreen:

Sherbet Head
damn, thread shutdown already ha

I'm not sure they have demonstrated any crazy math skills though, just some nice numerology at times.
I'm sure most flat earthers can add and subtract well enough. We assume the brothers are intelligent because they make the music they do but plenty of talented people have warped views and logic when concerning other things.

Dayvan Cowboy
Negamuse wrote:Well as artists making unexpectedly wrong statements goes in 2019 it's on the benign side, so I wouldn't have to worry about whether it's OK to like them any more like I've had to with certain others. I think I might ask them if they've actually studied their video for Dayvan Cowboy though :lol:

Is it impossible that Boards of Canada could also be tricked about the real shape of the world?

On a real, who cares? Is you or anyone you are going to space in the near future? probably not. so maybe your life is not changing so much, no matter is it FE or a GE.

But what about all this created human mythology about space travel, aliens and so on? The moon is not what it seems? Maybe aliens are demons who living under the earth (in Hell?).

Dayvan Cowboy
Most flat earthers are religious fanatics and BoC have stated that they are not at all religious, so I would be extremely surprised. That said, I would probably assume they were just fucking with us.

Eagle Minded
I'd literally throw all their records in the sea, then throw myself in after them.*

Sherbet Head
Cold Flat Earth?

Dayvan Cowboy
2009: Flat Earth? Oh that's weird haha. Whatever you want to believe, though. It takes all sorts...
2019: -redacted under 'play nice' protocol-

I don't believe in a Flat Earth, but I always look into conspiracy theories and see how one could get them to work to check if they hold any water. I find it quite entertaining and thought provoking to do so.

Amazingly, with the Flat Earth theory, I managed to be able to find an answer to or figure out myself as to absolutely everything except for a couple of points. First was stars in the southern hemisphere and their visibility from certain points, without an obtuse explanation, this isn't possible. Lunar eclipses (but not solar eclipses) also either required an obtuse answer that created more questions or was otherwise inexplicable on the FE model.

Sunsets, disappearances over the horizon, most of the common "duh" questions that come to people's minds have actually been explained very thoroughly in some places and I am in admiration of the way it stimulates thought. Digital models show a flat scenario's solar and lunar cycles actually looking very akin to our own. It is the finer points that bar the theory inevitably, though.

These people aren't all insane or mentally deficient.
I wouldn't care either way if BoC were, although unlikely, personally subscribed to that theory.

Dayvan Cowboy
A lot of artists you like probably believe all kinds of things that would cause you to throw your records out if you knew. Important just to focus on the music unless they have a belief that actually harms or expresses the desire to harm people. It is also important to keep friends with a diverse set of opinions and to appreciate art and music from people that you disagree with, be it politically or otherwise. Tribalism over such things never gets people far.

Sherbet Head
Absolutely and the reason I can still like the Smashing Pumpkins music even though Billy Corgan is a right bellend.
I'm glad I didn't love the Lost Prophets though, that would be the biggest quandry.

I'm kind of surprised by peoples answers though as, you have to admit it, BoC kind of stirs the superfan in some of us so to shrug off something like a strong belief of our idols to be unimportant but then scrambling around for any info on them bordering on stalky creepiness, kind of contradicts. This is not a diss to anyone by the way, just a general observation.

Friendly Stranger
Valotonin wrote:2009: Flat Earth? Oh that's weird haha. Whatever you want to believe, though. It takes all sorts...
2019: -redacted under 'play nice' protocol-

I don't believe in a Flat Earth, but I always look into conspiracy theories and see how one could get them to work to check if they hold any water.

There's your answer right there! A flat earth wouldn't hold any water!
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:Absolutely and the reason I can still like the Smashing Pumpkins music even though Billy Corgan is a right bellend.

I can empathise on that one. Corgan isn't my favorite despite the fact he is a very talented musician. I am still a fan of both Morrissey and Jonny Marr from the Smiths. This whole thing about people throwing Morrissey records out because he has made some inflammatory statements or, on the flipside, fans not listening to Jonny Marr anymore because he is pro-europe/anti-brexit, it is very petty. It's like saying that one can't like Soviet funk music if they disagreed with the USSR.

Morrissey is pushing his luck with my personal boundary when it comes to advocating harm, though. It is okay to talk about the rights of who you perceive to be your own people, but his whole "subspecies" comments are a bit too much. There is a huge difference between advocating rights of a particular ethnic group and claiming superiority on racial grounds, but I won't get into that.

Anyway, I am guessing you made this thread as a response to BoC including 'This Flat Earth' in the Societas X Tape?
chemical_si wrote:There's your answer right there! A flat earth wouldn't hold any water!

Flat Earthers would claim that the impenetrable antarctic ice wall holds in the water. They don't tend to believe something akin to depictions of ships falling from the edge of the earth etc. They believe that it is a snowglobe-esque dome world with a firmament and a flat plane below. For an imaginary theory, it is really fascinating and detailed. It is kind of cute.

Sherbet Head
It doesn't matter what you believe, it only matters what you can perceive.

And my reaction would be that they would be trolling, hard.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Friendly Stranger
They know the real truth, that the Earth is actually a hexagonal prism. We live on the "top" side, which is of course flat, hence all the confusion. For proof, one need only look at the rock formations of Giant's Causeway, which is at the intersection of several very strong Ley Lines and as such has been protected from elemental erosion since the dawn of time.

New Seed
Boc saying they held FE beliefs would somehow be a clue to their upcoming album....

I’d make the Earth flat, duh.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Return to Boards of Canada