Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Odd... This version doesn't contain the 'I'm Listening' sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St-mEIhvKOI

Sherbet Head
Sl Flk wrote:Odd... This version doesn't contain the 'I'm Listening' sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St-mEIhvKOI

The original never contained it, iirc the one with that sample is called "Aquarius V3"
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
Does Sl Flk know how long we have been looking for the "I'm listening" sample source?
Christ... This is fantastic. Thank you

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:Does Sl Flk know how long we have been looking for the "I'm listening" sample source?

I'd love to find the source of that female choir sample used in ver 3, and this track someday
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
ParticleGhost, likewise.
It probably isn't a match, but the closest I found was in Amon Tobin's (an electronic artist who doesn't usually work within the video game format) work for the Splinter Cell soundtrack.
phpBB [media]

Again, not a direct match but there is something about the choir sample at 33 seconds. Do they share a sample source? Obviously this is much later than the BoC usage. The one used in audiotrack 12 is slowed down, you can hear that it isn't at its natural pitch so the Aquarius Version 3 usage is closer to the original of whatever source it is, sounds like a south american children's choir.

Posts Quantity
Gotta tread carefully as certain things can't and shouldn't be discussed here as Hexagon Sun intervene, but the that album title Blue Aquarius explains something else also.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:Does Sl Flk know how long we have been looking for the "I'm listening" sample source?

It's very strange how no one found it earlier. I mean. Version 10 saying 'sixtyten blue Aquarius', the band being called blue Aquarius and with it being cult music once again. It's such a beautiful song though. I can hear The Beatles in there (all you need is love).

The age of Aquarius is pushing through. The monsters will soon retreat and the misery will be over soon.

Eagle Minded
outhudd wrote:Gotta tread carefully as certain things can't and shouldn't be discussed here as Hexagon Sun intervene, but the that album title Blue Aquarius explains something else also.

The Divine Light Mission? The birth of the age of Aquarius? Can you give us a clue?

Boqurant
I think I hear a bit of piano at the end of the choir loop in Track 12 / Aquarius v3. Maybe that helps.

Eagle Minded
What a time to be alive.

"I'm Listening" truly was one from the holy grail of unfound BOC samples.

The one I've always wanted to source is at the start of Sherbet Head, a male voice says "It's getting busy, it's getting buuusssyy" - sounds like it's from a TV show or something

Posts Quantity
IronMark wrote:The one I've always wanted to source is at the start of Sherbet Head, a male voice says "It's getting busy, it's getting buuusssyy" - sounds like it's from a TV show or something

I think it's a slowed down female voice.
phpBB [media]

I can't tell if she's saying "It's getting busy" or "It's getting dizzy". It sounds like it's from a field recording or an old home video, like Turquoise Hexagon Sun and Alpha and Omega.

Eagle Minded
sixtyniner wrote:
IronMark wrote:The one I've always wanted to source is at the start of Sherbet Head, a male voice says "It's getting busy, it's getting buuusssyy" - sounds like it's from a TV show or something

I think it's a slowed down female voice.
phpBB [media]

I can't tell if she's saying "It's getting busy" or "It's getting dizzy". It sounds like it's from a field recording or an old home video, like Turquoise Hexagon Sun and Alpha and Omega.

Oh wow, great job clearing up that audio, I had made a mental note to myself to piss around with it and see if I could get it to come out more clearly. I once drove myself half demented doing that with the children's voices from In The Annexe to try and hear them more clearly :mrgreen:

Definitely a female voice then, still sounds like "getting busy" to me.

Posts Quantity
IronMark wrote:Oh wow, great job clearing up that audio, I had made a mental note to myself to piss around with it and see if I could get it to come out more clearly. I once drove myself half demented doing that with the children's voices from In The Annexe to try and hear them more clearly :mrgreen:

Yeah that one's really hard to clean up. Also I think it's actually in reverse. Best I can do myself
phpBB [media]

I hear children chanting "mary jay, mary jay", then "danger, danger, danger" at the end. Someone else can probably do a better job than me at cleaning it up.

Eagle Minded
It sounds to me like the woman is saying "She's getting dizzy, you're getting dizzy" that would also go inline with the title Sherbet Head. Maybe Sherbet Head is a state of consciousness?

I remember once when the late, great Terence Mckenna said something along the lines of... We humans like to escape our own heads, be it through drugs or alcohol, we enjoy experiencing changes to our consciousness. He then went on to say something like...

'what is the first thing that children do as soon as they are mobile enough? They lift their arms and spin around to the point where they become dizzy, fall over and the world starts to look very different'.

They are actively trying to perturb their reality. I think that with the references to Sherbert being a kid thing and 'head' in the title it somehow points to a state of being. That and the fact that the tune is very disorientating to listen to and sounds 'DIZZY' :P :P

Posts Quantity
May have a small lead on the "thank you for not smoking" sample. The slogan was invented by Betty Carnes. I found a interview of her in which she's actually saying the line. I don't think it's the exact sample though. I'ts at 33:45 https://archive.org/details/tobacco_qhw27a00

Dayvan Cowboy
Kreide wrote:May have a small lead on the "thank you for not smoking" sample. The slogan was invented by Betty Carnes. I found a interview of her in which she's actually saying the line. I don't think it's the exact sample though. I'ts at 33:45 https://archive.org/details/tobacco_qhw27a00

Nice! Hopefully we will be able to track down the original soon.

Eagle Minded
sixtyniner wrote:
IronMark wrote:Oh wow, great job clearing up that audio, I had made a mental note to myself to piss around with it and see if I could get it to come out more clearly. I once drove myself half demented doing that with the children's voices from In The Annexe to try and hear them more clearly :mrgreen:

Yeah that one's really hard to clean up. Also I think it's actually in reverse. Best I can do myself
phpBB [media]

I hear children chanting "mary jay, mary jay", then "danger, danger, danger" at the end. Someone else can probably do a better job than me at cleaning it up.

Yeah that's kinda similar to the result I got from messing around with it, for me it sounds like children singing the nursery rhyme "here we go round the mulberry bush" and then the later sample sounds like "chase the rabbit, chase the rabbit"

Friendly Stranger
Sl Flk wrote:They have left many clues as to where their inspirations and even samples come from in that NTS mix -

I have located the 'I'M LISTENING sample from Aquarius. I've been obsessing today over the track Dance with us Lord from the One foundation. A tape that was circulated around the Divine Light Mission cult/group whatever.

It comes from another tape. This time by a band (i think called Blue Aquarius) It happens 54 seconds in

http://www.ex-premie.org/gallery/mp3/At ... master.mp3

Thank you. Truly awesome to hear the original source. The entire song would fit well on Societas X Tape...

BoC have consistently mentioned their influences in interviews throughout the years but this mixtape adds so much depth to the whole picture.

P.S. I love the Stefan Zauner song.. sits so well next to Devo

Eagle Minded
ParticleGhost wrote:

I'd love to find the source of that female choir sample used in ver 3, and this track someday
phpBB [media]

This is quite similar but more recent. The original has to be some Balearic gem from the 80s, early 90s.
phpBB [media]

Boqurant
Sl Flk wrote:It sounds to me like the woman is saying "She's getting dizzy, you're getting dizzy" that would also go inline with the title Sherbet Head. Maybe Sherbet Head is a state of consciousness?

I remember once when the late, great Terence Mckenna said something along the lines of... We humans like to escape our own heads, be it through drugs or alcohol, we enjoy experiencing changes to our consciousness. He then went on to say something like...

'what is the first thing that children do as soon as they are mobile enough? They lift their arms and spin around to the point where they become dizzy, fall over and the world starts to look very different'.

They are actively trying to perturb their reality. I think that with the references to Sherbert being a kid thing and 'head' in the title it somehow points to a state of being. That and the fact that the tune is very disorientating to listen to and sounds 'DIZZY' :P :P

This fits well with the whole theme of TCH being psychedelic (stated in an interview). Quite interesting, but I doubt we'll find the sample source.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada