Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
sixtyniner wrote:
IronMark wrote:The one I've always wanted to source is at the start of Sherbet Head, a male voice says "It's getting busy, it's getting buuusssyy" - sounds like it's from a TV show or something

I think it's a slowed down female voice.
phpBB [media]

I can't tell if she's saying "It's getting busy" or "It's getting dizzy". It sounds like it's from a field recording or an old home video, like Turquoise Hexagon Sun and Alpha and Omega.

To me this has always sounded like a Scottish female saying 'Thank you.. Thank you!' in an East Coast accent

Don't think it sounds slowed down

Posts Quantity
luminousdusk wrote:To me this has always sounded like a Scottish female saying 'Thank you.. Thank you!' in an East Coast accent

Are we talking about the same thing? In Sherbet Head the woman's voice is definitely slowed down and I don't hear "thank you" at all

Eagle Minded
luminousdusk wrote:
sixtyniner wrote:
IronMark wrote:The one I've always wanted to source is at the start of Sherbet Head, a male voice says "It's getting busy, it's getting buuusssyy" - sounds like it's from a TV show or something

I think it's a slowed down female voice.
phpBB [media]

I can't tell if she's saying "It's getting busy" or "It's getting dizzy". It sounds like it's from a field recording or an old home video, like Turquoise Hexagon Sun and Alpha and Omega.

To me this has always sounded like a Scottish female saying 'Thank you.. Thank you!' in an East Coast accent

It definitely is slowed down in Sherbet Head, the sample posted above has been sped up by Sixtyniner, revealing a Scottish female voice. As someone who has lived in the east of Scotland my entire life, you may well be right about the east coast accent but she's definitely not saying thank you, she's saying "it's getting busy" or dizzy, depending on how you hear it.

For me, it's 100% "It's getting busy" - maybe as it's such a familiar accent to me, I can't hear any other word.

Sherbet Head
Interesting.. Might need to get that sample through the wash and give it a good wringing out

Eagle Minded
Hello again... It's probably nothing but... Doing a little digging I came across this track called Aquarius Blue by MJ Lallo. Now I am not sure when this track was originally released but she did release a cassette back in 1988 called 'the channelled voice' . She does a hell of a lot of vocal work so it may possibly be the origin of that choir type voice on aquarius version 3. However the rhythm track on this sounds a little like the percussive sounds on version 3. Tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QqOoS0MOk

Posts Quantity
luminousdusk wrote:Interesting.. Might need to get that sample through the wash and give it a good wringing out

Maybe this is some sort of "yanny", "laurel" situation haha
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Eagle Minded
I'm pretty sure I'm onto something interesting with regards to that choir type sample

Posts Quantity
Sl Flk wrote:However the rhythm track on this sounds a little like the percussive sounds on version 3. Tell me what you think.

Do you mean these percussion sounds on version 3?
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
yes sixtyniner

Eagle Minded
Right I am pretty much certain this is it. Once again, the discovery of the 'I'm Listening' sample from Blue Aquarius led me to this artist that made a track called aquarius blue. She also released a cassette in 1988 that features a track called deep dreams, its track 09 on the album. I changed the pitch and tempo and added a little reverb but but I'm sure it's the one.

I think the sample they use may loop back on itself?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/g5tnu2

Eagle Minded
Lol, it sounds nothing like it listening back. Maybe someone else can do a better job. Maybe it's just a coincidence? However in my experience there are no such things.

Eagle Minded
sounds nothing like it. sorry

New Seed
Has anyone tried to decode the sped up morse code in the radio transmission at the start?

Eagle Minded
Ready Let's go sample in here. What I once thought could have been captures of short wave radio stuff I now believe it is this passed through a bit of a wobble effect. 100% convinced on this one. Found from listening to the full album of Stefan Zauner that was played on the mix. Excellent prog rock album I've never heard before.

https://youtu.be/9teU6BZC1SM?t=937

Friendly Stranger
Sl Flk wrote:Ready Let's go sample in here. What I once thought could have been captures of short wave radio stuff I now believe it is this passed through a bit of a wobble effect. 100% convinced on this one. Found from listening to the full album of Stefan Zauner that was played on the mix. Excellent prog rock album I've never heard before.

https://youtu.be/9teU6BZC1SM?t=937

Dead on. These connections are kind of rare too considering that BoC usually only sample dialog/vocals. Your ears are leading you well!

And yes, the entire album sounds great –– the prog elements in the music never seem to overpower the songwriting.

Eagle Minded
Another one... This time it is 'Open the light'

Now obviously it has that running piano sound most of the way through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6SiI11qXNs

Now the track Billy Miller by Stefan Zauner has a very familiar piano thing that runs through towards the end. Listen here :-

https://youtu.be/VUF0dcnDAes?t=212

The interesting thing here comes in the lyrics. Basically the first two paragraphs of the song and you're confused as to who Billy Miller is . But then he goes to read the local paper as he has done many times. It's obviously the court proceedings page. He reads about all the recent crimes and their outcomes and then his own criminal doing as the song reveals he is in jail for drugs possession. Its VERY clever and the music is beautiful.

But from the lyrics of the first paragraph :-

Empty wall's and nothing's moving
Useless time lies in the corners.
Not a sound to start a thought.
Strips of sunLIGHT slowly leaking down the door.
And the windows hold no sight.
Except a sky that has no room

Basically if you have ever found yourself in jail. You want that door to open! In this track the light is behind the door. Hope is behind the door. I believe the Boards of Canada track 'Open the light' Is some sort of resolve to Billy Miller's situation some 5 years later after his release.

Sherbet Head
Sl Flk, that's a bit far fetched imo. It's just the word light innit?

Eagle Minded
chronical wrote:Sl Flk, that's a bit far fetched imo. It's just the word light innit?

Maybe, maybe not. It's just a feeling I get about the feel of both tracks. It's pretty much 100% certainty that they've heard this track and the song open the light is a piece of music that brings absolute calm and resolve. I'm obviously smoking too much and i've had too much to think.

Posts Quantity
Has anyone mentioned that Beck (BoC's pal) just a did a cover of Colourbox's Tarantula earlier this year?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jcEIvLG3I

New Seed

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada