Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
sixtyniner wrote:Bumping this thread for a great find from the BoC fb group :]

A Moment of Clarity

phpBB [media]

Ooohh very nice! Sounds like they sampled it, then pitch-shifted it as needed while running it through multiple phasers/effects. :D

Posts Quantity
I'm trying to decipher the indistinct voice towards the end of Kid For Today. I'm thinking it's in reverse and maybe the voice of an air traffic controller of some sort.

phpBB [media]

I think I can hear "Ground control to AF ... You're clear to land"

Dayvan Cowboy
There's a bit further on from that as well that sounds like "can't return to [something] kingdom"

Posts Quantity
sixtyniner wrote:I'm trying to decipher the indistinct voice towards the end of Kid For Today. I'm thinking it's in reverse and maybe the voice of an air traffic controller of some sort.

phpBB [media]

I think I can hear "Ground control to AF ... You're clear to land"

Interesting... Makes me think of black box recordings of passenger flights gone wrong, which are all over YouTube now but this wouldn't have been the case 19 years ago.

Posts Quantity
I have no idea why that spam link keeps getting added to the "case nineteen" in my previous post, I apologize for that. :/

Eagle Minded
Listening to one of my favourite albums of all time, Beautiful Freak by Eels and during the song 'Susan's House' there's a break in the song where we hear some children cheering and then a group saying "Wow!" (1:50 in the below video).

It sounds very similar to the "Wow!" sample from Orange Romeda (2:40 in the below video).

Can anyone confirm/dismiss that they're the same?

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
Both sampling sesame street innit
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:Both sampling sesame street innit

I suspected if they are the same it would be both artists using the same source rather than BOC sampling Eels, especially because the first BOC use of the sample pre-dates the Eels album. Just curious to see if it is the same sample source both have used. Does definitely sound like Sesame St.

Sherbet Head
I'd say it's the same sample but they both took it irrespective of each other.
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
Can I just say I finally heard the kid choking in A Beautiful Place Out In The Country and it's one of the saddest, creepiest things I've ever heard. The way it sounds just like the laughter is a really dark thought provoking move.

BOC really started to subvert their image there. Just compare that to Aquarius on Music and you'll see how Boards weren't content with being known as the 'Sesame Street electronica' group.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Can I just say I finally heard the kid choking in A Beautiful Place Out In The Country and it's one of the saddest, creepiest things I've ever heard.

Timestamp?

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:
Echelon wrote:Can I just say I finally heard the kid choking in A Beautiful Place Out In The Country and it's one of the saddest, creepiest things I've ever heard.

Timestamp?

Listen with good headphones in the first 20 or so seconds and you can hear the sounds of children breathing hard and a kid choking in a way it almost sounds like laughing. It's pretty chilling to say the least, and I'm never going to look at the song the same way again. (Even with the cult mantra spoken throughout it)

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Listen with good headphones in the first 20 or so seconds and you can hear the sounds of children breathing hard and a kid choking in a way it almost sounds like laughing. It's pretty chilling to say the least, and I'm never going to look at the song the same way again. (Even with the cult mantra spoken throughout it)

phpBB [media]

That's just children laughing. The "breathing" or "choking" is just kids breathing for air from giggling or having fun, probably just some field recording of kids playing about. It sounds a bit weird because it's looped and timestretched.

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:
Echelon wrote:Listen with good headphones in the first 20 or so seconds and you can hear the sounds of children breathing hard and a kid choking in a way it almost sounds like laughing. It's pretty chilling to say the least, and I'm never going to look at the song the same way again. (Even with the cult mantra spoken throughout it)

phpBB [media]

That's just children laughing. The "breathing" or "choking" is just kids breathing for air from giggling or having fun, probably just some field recording of kids playing about. It sounds a bit weird because it's looped and timestretched.

I actually hope that's the case! Even though, it would fit with the whole Branch Davidian massacre theme.

Posts Quantity
The song "when the music starts to play" by The Incredible String Band contains several samples that the brothers have used.

https://youtu.be/RANBgWcPbxU

The flute intro was used in "You could feel the sky" around the 2:54 mark.

The piece around 2:10 was used in "Dead Dogs Two"

The outro around 2:30 was reversed and used as the intro of "the smallest weird number"

Posts Quantity
Helicoid wrote:The song "when the music starts to play" by The Incredible String Band contains several samples that the brothers have used.

No offence but this has been known for years and tbh I think this thread is more for discussion about new findings and speculation than past finds

Posts Quantity
sixtyniner wrote:
Helicoid wrote:The song "when the music starts to play" by The Incredible String Band contains several samples that the brothers have used.

No offence but this has been known for years and tbh I think this thread is more for discussion about new findings and speculation than past finds

Yeah you're probably right. I know the smallest weird number sample was known, but I just realized the dead dogs two sample recently. Neither that nor the you could feel the sky sample are listed on bocpages so I didn't figure it was that commonly known.

Posts Quantity
Helicoid wrote:Yeah you're probably right. I know the smallest weird number sample was known, but I just realized the dead dogs two sample recently. Neither that nor the you could feel the sky sample are listed on bocpages so I didn't figure it was that commonly known.

Ah you're right, I remember reading about that on the forums and included it in my video but didn't realise it wasn't actually on the wiki so I just assumed. I've updated the wiki pages now anyway.

Eagle Minded
Has anyone ever found out how they achieved the strange metallic chorus-like filter effect heard in The Way You Show, and in the MHTRTC version of Smokes Quantity? It's definitely not unique to them, as i've also heard it in a Muslimgauze track. Possibly from some kind of effects unit like an Alesis quadraverb or Ensoniq DP? I'm not entirely sure.

Eagle Minded
ParticleGhost wrote:Has anyone ever found out how they achieved the strange metallic chorus-like filter effect heard in The Way You Show, and in the MHTRTC version of Smokes Quantity? It's definitely not unique to them, as i've also heard it in a Muslimgauze track. Possibly from some kind of effects unit like an Alesis quadraverb or Ensoniq DP? I'm not entirely sure.

Kinda sounds like a delay with some modulation on on the rate, slowing down the rate causes a kind of phasing effect that sounds a bit metallic.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada