Dawn Chorus & Lavender Town

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 10
Joined: 11 Aug 2019
A lot of people have posted about how disturbing Dawn Chorus is. But did you know that Dawn chorus samples the melody from the Lavender Town theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sOadAaGiq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRJ_uZClz4Y

Never saw anyone else post it, so I knew i had to!

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 302
Joined: 23 May 2013
Nah, there are no 8bit sounds in Dawn Chorus unless they are manipulated so much that you can't tell anymore. The tinkling melody lines in Dawn Chorus could be from anything but they sound like they originated from BoC i.e. they are playing the synth. That and there are no similarities in melody at all (I did not listen to your links all the way through, so may be missing it) I would say that you are looking for some links to other stuff you like for some sort of ownership kudos. Timestamp exactly where you think the offending parts are please.
You could feell the bullshit

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 869
Joined: 19 Jun 2015
I personally think Dawn Chorus is a later version of A06 from R35TT. The two tracks have the same rhythm and a similar style of background sounds fading in and out.
Image

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 211
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
As someone who has childhood memories of playing that Pokémon game with my mother way back in 1999/2000, I really don't see the similarities at all. I do know the Lavender Town theme produces the same effect amongst the Pokémon fanbase that Geogaddi does for the BOC fanbase though. I.E. It's the most sinister, disturbing, fucked up music that both enterprises have produced. That's the only extent I see these two pieces of music crossing paths.

But seriously, Mike and Marcus do not strike me as gamer types. I cannot for the life of me imagine Marcus lazing on the couch with a beer playing Call of Duty while screaming Scottish expletives over his headset.

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 836
Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Location: Washington
But Mike and Marcus did play video games as children. Iraq Says is sourced from a Genesis game from 1992. I thought this was widely known. It isn't outside the realm of possibility they could have used video game music again at some point.
phpBB [media]

Spoiler: show
Super Nintendo was better.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 211
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
zeoevil wrote:But Mike and Marcus did play video games as children. Iraq Says is sourced from a Genesis game from 1992. I thought this was widely known. It isn't outside the realm of possibility they could have used video game music again at some point.
phpBB [media]

Spoiler: show
Super Nintendo was better.


That's what I get for saving those Old Tunes albums for later so I wouldn't run out of new BOC material. Though now that I come to think about it, wasn't Donkey Kong sampled on an R35TT track too?

Man, all because I wanted to make my joke about one of them being an online gamer tool. :lol:

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 262
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
drillkicker wrote:I personally think Dawn Chorus is a later version of A06 from R35TT. The two tracks have the same rhythm and a similar style of background sounds fading in and out.


A06 sounds like a rough sketch of Seven Forty Seven to me. Don't get any Dawn Chorus vibes from it.

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 869
Joined: 19 Jun 2015
IronMark wrote:
drillkicker wrote:I personally think Dawn Chorus is a later version of A06 from R35TT. The two tracks have the same rhythm and a similar style of background sounds fading in and out.


A06 sounds like a rough sketch of Seven Forty Seven to me. Don't get any Dawn Chorus vibes from it.

Listen to both of them while focusing only on the drums
Image

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 4685
Joined: 7 Jun 2007
Location: scorched hell
zeoevil wrote:
Spoiler: show
Super Nintendo was better.


I'LL FIND YOU
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 333
Joined: 1 Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Boards of Canada have stated many times in interviews that they mostly create their own melodies and don't understand why so many people sample when they can just create their own. I highly doubt they'd sample something from pokemon too. It's really just not in their style or even aesthetic era. Misinformed.

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 4685
Joined: 7 Jun 2007
Location: scorched hell
I don't think it's totally outside the realm of possibility. My money's on 'No', but topics like this one used to float a fair bit of this board's activity, so it's kind of nice to see one pop up again. As zeoevil showed - while being completely wrong about which console was better - they've sampled a videogame at least once, even if it was ages ago. So people saying it's straight up not their aesthetic might have to get more specific if they wanna be strictly true!
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 4291
Joined: 1 Dec 2005
drillkicker wrote:
IronMark wrote:
drillkicker wrote:I personally think Dawn Chorus is a later version of A06 from R35TT. The two tracks have the same rhythm and a similar style of background sounds fading in and out.


A06 sounds like a rough sketch of Seven Forty Seven to me. Don't get any Dawn Chorus vibes from it.

Listen to both of them while focusing only on the drums


I agree with IronMark. There are actually legit elements from A06 in the officially released Seven Forty Seven. Not hearing any connection in the drums at all. A06 has what sounds like some muffled tribal style percussion whereas Dawn Chorus has fucking huge, bombastic, crisp, distorted hip hop drums from hell.

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 836
Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Location: Washington
turquoise70 wrote:As zeoevil showed - while being completely wrong about which console was better - they've sampled a videogame at least once, even if it was ages ago.

What was that? I couldn't understand you through that pathetic Genesis soundboard.

Spoiler: show
Don't @ me. I don't give a fuck. ;)

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 4685
Joined: 7 Jun 2007
Location: scorched hell
zeoevil wrote:
turquoise70 wrote:As zeoevil showed - while being completely wrong about which console was better - they've sampled a videogame at least once, even if it was ages ago.

What was that? I couldn't understand you through that pathetic Genesis soundboard.

Spoiler: show
Don't @ me. I don't give a fuck. ;)


[Insert comeback involving Blast Processing here]?

(Sorry, I picked that fight without actually having an exit strategy. SNES wins by forfeit!)
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 836
Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Location: Washington
turquoise70 wrote:[Insert comeback involving Blast Processing here]?

(Sorry, I picked that fight without actually having an exit strategy. SNES wins by forfeit!)

[Hilarious retort about six button controllers and Super FX here]!

That fighting game pad Genesis had was fire, though. Sega's controllers were always on point.

No ban for /twoism/ - Video Games, please.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 54
Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Funny, I've been hearing quite a bit of Genesis/MD soundboard thrash talk (both ironic and unironic) on various places. Figured I'd drop this here while I'm at it :lol:

The brothers have expressed an interest in manipulating samples beyond recognition (at least I recall reading that in an interview, correct me if I'm wrong), so technically it is within the realm of possibility that the Lavender Town theme was used. However, I still find that highly unlikely.

Return to Boards of Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests