Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Sl Flk wrote:https://youtu.be/UyL6-Vb8beA?t=196

This isn't the right topic for this discussion, but Rue the Whirl was named after the children talking in From One Source. In your clip it doesn't sound enough like 'rue the whirl' to me.

Sherbet Head
That's one theory, not sure that's been confirmed.
I always thought it might have something to do with 'the murders in the rue morgue'

Boqurant
I just thought of something. All you detectives must have gone through tons of music which means you probably discovered some good music. Perhaps you could compile a mix of the best you've found.

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
Mansin wrote:I just thought of something. All you detectives must have gone through tons of music which means you probably discovered some good music. Perhaps you could compile a mix of the best you've found.

This is what I've been doing the whole time. Though gonna think about what I will do. Make a mix or sample those for my tracks.

Dayvan Cowboy
Mansin wrote:I just thought of something. All you detectives must have gone through tons of music which means you probably discovered some good music. Perhaps you could compile a mix of the best you've found.

I've found hours of music which fits into the theme of the mix. Still unable to find the fretless bass track, but this song seems to have a similar vibe, whilst also laced with various other tracks played in the mix - Blue Gas etc...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XD1im7qRLDo

Happy Cycler
Not sure if it has been brought up yet, but that Doxa Sinistra track has been floating around this board since 2014

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12410

Eagle Minded

Eagle Minded

I've done just that.

A collection of tracks, t.v adverts, t.v shows, and vhs clips from things I have recently discovered, had in my own collection for a while or found from vhs tapes at my local tip.

To make it interesting I have left out all track titles and artists out. If you know any of them then please tag them.

https://soundcloud.com/soulflask/soul-f ... al-streams

New Seed
In regards to the ATP photo. I noticed that William Gibsons book ( soft cover ) with the same title has a image of the Golden Gate Bridge blurred and ghostly which really reminded me of Tomorrow’s Harvest imagery ( also sf).

New Seed
I want to point out that 13. Flayer - Wanna Get Back Your Love (Mix 1) (20:53) is the song remixed in Samo DJ - Flyer Edit, which is being played slowed down on the BoC show.

phpBB [media]

Boqurant
Sl Flk wrote:

I've done just that.

A collection of tracks, t.v adverts, t.v shows, and vhs clips from things I have recently discovered, had in my own collection for a while or found from vhs tapes at my local tip.

To make it interesting I have left out all track titles and artists out. If you know any of them then please tag them.

Awesome mix, dude. I remember some of the tracks. An April Orchestra track here and there and Serge Gainsbourg

Eagle Minded
Mansin wrote:
Sl Flk wrote:

I've done just that.

Awesome mix, dude. I remember some of the tracks. An April Orchestra track here and there and Serge Gainsbourg

Thanks for listening. Although not sure if I played any April Orchestra music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VopOZ3o ... e=youtu.be

Boqurant
@Sl Flk I might got it all mixed up I just remembered one of the tracks as being from an april orchestra playlist that got posted here.

Friendly Stranger
billywhite wrote:I want to point out that 13. Flayer - Wanna Get Back Your Love (Mix 1) (20:53) is the song remixed in Samo DJ - Flyer Edit, which is being played slowed down on the BoC show.

Nah, the Societas one is at the correct speed.

https://www.deejay.de/FLAYER_Wanna_Get_ ... yl__932659

Posts Quantity
Someone on Facebook discovered that the interlude at 1:04:42, is a sped up version of the track right before it: Jardim de Prazeres by Egberto Gismonti.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/boardso ... 596270323/

https://soundcloud.com/hawkone/slowed-d ... -x-mixtape
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Happy Cycler
WaitingFor_22 wrote:Someone on Facebook discovered that the interlude at 1:04:42, is a sped up version of the track right before it: Jardim de Prazeres by Egberto Gismonti.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/boardso ... 596270323/

https://soundcloud.com/hawkone/slowed-d ... -x-mixtape

It's not a new discovery. I pointed it out in an earlier post. It sounds as if they pressed fast forward on the rest of the track.

Eagle Minded
if anyones interested Flayer is now on spotify with all 3 versions of the track - probably no coincedence with the renewed interest in the track

if anyones vaguely interested the writer/singer of track is Alain Salvati.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/604782-Alain-Salvati
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Eagle Minded
Hello Everyone.

I've Just had an email from Terry Welbourn from the former band 'The sinking Ships' I thought It might interest you to see/read some of the reviews of the record from back in the day and recording locations etc so I'll paste it here.

Third World & Weight Loss

Simon Brighton: Guitars, Nick Green: Drums, Colin Hopkirk: Vocals & Terry Welbourn: Bass

Recorded 15-16 March 1980 at 'Studio Playground' Wragby, Lincolnshire.

Produced by Sinking Ships & engineered by Andy Dransfield & Rick Woolgar.

Third World & Weight Loss were released as tracks on Stark Products compilation, vinyl LP ‘Household Shocks’, Summer 1980. STARK LPCO1. (re-released on Dark Entries Records: DE-114, 2016). Sinking Ships appeared alongside; Product of Reason, Thunderboys, One Gang Logic, Juveniles, Mystery Girls, Defectors, Fault 151 & Urbantech.

Reviews:

New Music News : “.....Elsewhere, Lincoln's Sinking Ships' ‘Weight Loss’ debuts a fine punk-ska band who owe much to drummer Terry Welbourn.” - Nigel Burnham (NB. This of course should have read; drummer Nick Green!)

--------------------------------------

The Cinema Clock c/w Strangers

7" Double 'A' side, vinyl single released as a Stark Products/Dead Good Records, November 1980.
DEAD 14/STARK 2

‘The Cinema Clock’ & ‘Strangers’ were published by Dead Good Tunes/Street Corner Music Ltd.

Simon Brighton : Guitars, Nick Green : Drums & Terry Welbourn : Bass & Vocals

Recorded Spring 1980 at 'Studio Playground' Wragby Lincs. Produced by Sinking Ships & engineered by Rick Woolgar & Andy Dransfield.

REVIEWS:

Sounds : December 13th 1980 : "Spatial atmospheric intro gives way to what early Wire might have sounded like if Lewis had sung instead of Newman. Clinched by simple, logical guitar overdub. A grower." Andy Gill

New Musical Express : November 29th 1980 : "You can laugh all you like, but I swear this lot sound like early (censored). Spindly, clanking found noises give way to finger lickin'/finger clickin' bass and steamy metronomic drums. It trundles along and goes flying over the edge, retaining stable altitude just like those classic Liebezeit/Czukay rhythm departures of yore. Smart." John Gill

Musicians Only : December 20th 1980 : "Takes a while to get going and the vocals are rather in the modern mekanik idiom, but Sinking Ships have managed to track down a tune to sing over the hypnotic beat. I am assailed by 
the alarming thought that I'd quite like to see Sinking Ships live. The record distorts by the way." Pete Douglas

Select : December 13th 1980 : "First named (Strangers) keeps even keel without memorable line but basic hard edged beat allied to strong vocal projection interests while he flip (The Cinema Clock) after long instrumental intro has pushed back Joy Division style in vocals though later given frontal attack before instrumental break. More attractive than first."

Drum Beat : December 1980 : "The Sinking Ships have signed to Dead Good Records in the wilds of Lincolnshire and released their first single for the label, a double Aside 'The Cinema Clock' and 'Strangers'. The three-piece comprising of Terry Welbourn (Vocals/Bass), Simon Brighton (Guitar/Vocals) and Nick Green (Drums/Percussion), are currently in the studio recording tracks for a six-track 12" set for release in January 1981."

Known Airplay :
BBC Radio 1 - The John Peel Show : Strangers - 24 November 1980

BBC Radio 1 - The John Peel Show : The Cinema Clock - 29 January 1981

BBC Radio Lincolnshire - The Ed Lacey Show : Strangers - 22 November 1980

--------------------------------------

Dream c/w After the Rain (live)

7" vinyl single released on Neal Quincey's 'Recession' label, April 1981. REC S1. 

‘Dream’ was published by Express Songs/Leeds Music Ltd. ‘After the Rain’ was published by Dead Good Tunes/Street Corner Music Ltd.

PERSONNEL: Charlie Anderson: Sax, Simon Brighton: Guitars, Nick Green: Drums, Steve Orient: Keyboards & Terry Welbourn: Bass & Vocals

‘Dream’: produced by Colin Moss and engineered by Rick Woolgar, Andy Dransfield and Neal Quincey.

Recorded at 'Studio Playground', Wragby, Lincolnshire - Spring 1981.

‘After the Rain’: Recorded and engineered by Neal Quincey. Recorded live at Carr's Grammer School, Sleaford, Lincolnshire on 30 January1981.

The single was cut by, Boppin’ Bob Jones, on 6th March 1981 at the Music Centre, De Lane Lea Music Ltd. Engineer's Way, Wembley, Middx.

REVIEWS:

Record Mirror : " I love the name of the band but when applied to the music it does not appear to fit the bankrupt set of ideas laid down here." Mike Gardner - April 25th 1981.

The Hot Press : ".....Equally earnest contenders also waiting the big one are Lincoln's Sinking Ships, whose ‘Dream’ is released this week on Recession Records (292-3 Hight Street, Lincoln LN21A1). One of the best bands on last year's excellent ‘Household Shocks’ compilation (still available, on blue vinyl t'boot: Low Farm, Brigg Road, Messingham, Scunthorpe, South Humberside) SS are yet another act staking a claim for a share in the Joy Division national heritage. Alongside their mighty ‘Cinema Clock’ single of last year, this is even graver stuff but fuses sax, guitars, drums and intense vocal in a nervous powerful way. 'Stark' and 'minimalist', maybe, but brave too. It's fashion!" Nigel Burnham - May 1st-14th 1981.

Smash Hits : "Lincoln band Sinking Ships take their homage to Joy Division too far. The sleeve is suitably bleached and bleak and, while its message might be meaningful, "Dream" (Recession Records) is as starched as those wing-tipped collars that the Blitz Kids used to wear. Still, there is obvious room for improvement." Ian Birch - June 10th 1981.

Known AIRPLAY:
BBC Radio 1 - The John Peel Show : ‘Dream’ - 8 April 1981.

Eagle Minded

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada