Swans

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Saw em in Brixton last year man, quality live band.. hypnotic and savage. Definitely catch them if you can, Gira scares the shit outta me, even though he signed my record quite happily. Just something about him that is so intense and intimidating, even when he's being personable and friendly.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:Saw em in Brixton last year man, quality live band.. hypnotic and savage. Definitely catch them if you can, Gira scares the shit outta me, even though he signed my record quite happily. Just something about him that is so intense and intimidating, even when he's being personable and friendly.

Haha. That just about sums up everyone's reaction to Gira. I met him many years ago when he was doing a book reading for 'The Consumer'. He signed my copy but I was terrified of him. I think he's slightly less terrifying now but still the most intense artist I've ever seen.

Happy Cycler
Yeah, I have heard back in the 80s he was as hot headed as they come and their live show was deliberately intimidating, in volume and delivery, and even nowadays I have seen videos on him live losing it pretty bad. But really, I think he's just a proper artist, in the truest sense of the word, and all the best artists are usually intense and intimidating in some way. I've seen a few interviews with him from more recent times, and he's a obviously a really decent guy, but he has that way of passively demanding the best out of interviewers when he grants them the opportunity.

All things aside, I really believe SWANS are making some of the most interesting music at the moment, it's very original, despite not sounding all that different sonically to some other bands doing similar things, if that makes sense? I think it's just their kinda Krautrock approach to it, which gives it a groove you can dig, but it also pleases the more thoughtful chin stroker inside you with its twisted vibe and aesthetic haha.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Posts Quantity
just recently got into em. i really like the hardcore, hectic, slow, and brutal sound on public castration is a good idea. there newer stuff isnt as good imho, still okay, but nothing will match the pure, strung-out-on-heroin brutality of their first albums.
Dude, have you heard the new EVANESENCE?

Eagle Minded
The most recent 2 albums of theirs are actually among my favourite in their entire discography, most likely because I am quite into my hypnotic/drone. The sheer scope and magnitude of Soundtracks puts it at the top for me though, so many interesting ideas in that mammoth of an album.

Happy Cycler
New album 'The Glowing Man' came out recently, safe it say it is up there with SWANS best work. This one has a more brooding vibe in contrast to the aural attack of The Seer and To Be Kind. Definitely one of the albums of the year for me..

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Happy Cycler
Gotta reinvigorate this thread. This song is fantastic.

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
Just popping in to say Swans are fucking awesome. Was just listening to To Be Kind yesterday, probably my favorite.

Excited by the new release. Only recently feel like I'm starting to appreciate Swans after a long time struggling with them.

Slow down...

Boqurant
Swans. Saw them live twice. It was brutal and beautiful.

Swans > Tool
all things shining

Dayvan Cowboy
gestell wrote:Swans. Saw them live twice. It was brutal and beautiful.

Swans > Tool

They’re very different bands that I both love for what they are.

Sherbet Head
Swans permanently ruined my hearing. Not worth it.

Posts Quantity
The new Swans album features The Necks on a couple of tracks... as does the new album by Underworld!

Sherbet Head
Was a big fan until I learned what a creep Gira is. I can excuse and forgive certain bad behaviors, but sexual assault isn't one of them.

Previous

Return to This Random Sound