Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
There is also definitely some tube drive of some kind... not sure what amps or preamps they prefer but I can definitely hear tubes in it... could just be the tubes from the grundig

Sherbet Head
Sounds like short digi delay. Like a DD3 but obv that's only mono. Many things could get in that ball park.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:Sounds like short digi delay. Like a DD3 but obv that's only mono. Many things could get in that ball park.

Interesting.. i'll have to keep searching around, then! Also, here's that Muslimgauze track i mentioned if anyone was curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF8VtCGvyN0 at 4:22

Sherbet Head
I'm not sure about the filter sound, but the grainy, metallic one sounds to me like they brought a sound through a ring mod, resampled it, and then played it back while altering the speed.

Eagle Minded
Ah, so it seems like some kind of ring modulator + slow flange combo then.

Sherbet Head
sixtyniner wrote:
Echelon wrote:Listen with good headphones in the first 20 or so seconds and you can hear the sounds of children breathing hard and a kid choking in a way it almost sounds like laughing. It's pretty chilling to say the least, and I'm never going to look at the song the same way again. (Even with the cult mantra spoken throughout it)

phpBB [media]

That's just children laughing. The "breathing" or "choking" is just kids breathing for air from giggling or having fun, probably just some field recording of kids playing about. It sounds a bit weird because it's looped and timestretched.

I dunno man, listened to it a few times and it definitely doesn't sound like breathing air from giggling to me, but who knows. Either way it does sound pretty ambiguous and twisted, in a good way :twisted:
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Sherbet Head
drillkicker wrote:I'm not sure about the filter sound, but the grainy, metallic one sounds to me like they brought a sound through a ring mod, resampled it, and then played it back while altering the speed.

Which part of the track are you hearing this? I don't here any ring mod in those tracks. Def digi delay through some tile room style reverb patch. The smokes Quantity main synth warble is not going through the same sound. It's just processed and degraded but there will probably be some delay and possibly some chorus for gloss/colour before the degrading. The warble will be LFO on the synth beforehand. Unless you mean a totally different part?

That muslimgauze track, you mean 4.50+ ? That is digi delay with tile room rev again.
You could feel the bullshit

Posts Quantity
Gazebo4 wrote:I dunno man, listened to it a few times and it definitely doesn't sound like breathing air from giggling to me, but who knows. Either way it does sound pretty ambiguous and twisted, in a good way :twisted:

I think you're seeing something the artists never intended. It sounds weird because it's looped, timestretched and drenched in reverb. It seems way too edgy for the brothers to sample anything as violent or distraught as children suffocating and gasping for air.

Sherbet Head
sixtyniner wrote:
Gazebo4 wrote:I dunno man, listened to it a few times and it definitely doesn't sound like breathing air from giggling to me, but who knows. Either way it does sound pretty ambiguous and twisted, in a good way :twisted:

I think you're seeing something the artists never intended. It sounds weird because it's looped, timestretched and drenched in reverb. It seems way too edgy for the brothers to sample anything as violent or distraught as children suffocating and gasping for air.

Yeah that makes sense. Especially the bold part. Still they probably did intend it to sound kind of dark in a way, the laughing.

I mean, just take the title of the track. As we all know, it seems something it's not, a beautiful place out in the country... Quite disturbing.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy
I know the sound of children suffocating might be too edgy for them, but I've always thought all the references to the Branch Davidians were a little button pushing.

Though to be honest, I feel they started to reference them halfway because it fascinated them and halfway because I think they were commentating on how they were getting a cult following themselves. Maybe warning people who were a little too dedicated to the brothers that cults generally don't end well.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
I am inclined to agree with a lot of what Echelon said. An obscure "conspiracy theory" documentary was sampled in a track on Tomorrow's Harvest, arguably the most famous documentary by that particular filmmaker was on Mount Carmel and the crimes of the ATF therein. A particular emphasis is on the fact that CS gas was released into the basement area where they were keeping the children away from harm before, according to them (and I am also leaning towards that version of events being true) the ATF intentionally started the fire that claimed their lives. There was one possible escape route and it was sealed by the ATF driving a tank into that portion of the building and collapsing it.

I would imagine the adults tried to keep the children in good spirits. You don't tell a child that there is a slim chance they will make it out of such situations alive, that isn't right. The rest you can hear in the track as far as I have always been concerned.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:I am inclined to agree with a lot of what Echelon said. An obscure "conspiracy theory" documentary was sampled in a track on Tomorrow's Harvest, arguably the most famous documentary by that particular filmmaker was on Mount Carmel and the crimes of the ATF therein. A particular emphasis is on the fact that CS gas was released into the basement area where they were keeping the children away from harm before, according to them (and I am also leaning towards that version of events being true) the ATF intentionally started the fire that claimed their lives. There was one possible escape route and it was sealed by the ATF driving a tank into that portion of the building and collapsing it.

I would imagine the adults tried to keep the children in good spirits. You don't tell a child that there is a slim chance they will make it out of such situations alive, that isn't right. The rest you can hear in the track as far as I have always been concerned.

I'm glad I'm not the only one hearing this. Honestly, if BOC were referencing this, I now think they'd be doing it in memorial than as some kind of sick joke. You can honestly hear in the tones of 1969 and A Beautiful Place that they were trying to create music as horrifically cultish as the subject matter. The creepy but peaceful title frack of A Beautiful Place makes me imagine a scene in the peaceful meadows outside the facility with the ghosts of children haunting it. It's very evocative and messed up, but I don't think its meant to be dishonor anyone. BoC are simply playing back the scenes they've witnessed/read about through their eyes.

I think what's more scary is the kid's voice in Sunshine Recorder that sounds like it's melting. The one that goes "AN EAGLE IN YOUR MIND." I haven't listened enough to the Sunshine Recorder from 2001 to see if that was added pre or post 9/11 but it's one of the scariest parts of Geogaddi imo.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
I just realized that the sound reminds me of this one that I made a few years ago
phpBB [media]

If you took a piece of that recording, loop it, and run it through a flanger, I think you would get something very, very similar to the sound in the way you show. Unfortunately, I don't remember how I made that sound.

Posts Quantity
Gemini
========

sorry if this has already been discussed, but I didn't find any mention of it.

The sound, or 'logotone,' at the beginning of Gemini is also at the beginning of the Criterion trailer for 'Woman in the Dunes.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kX4h_sEBiI&t=4s
==

I've never heard it on other Janus/Criterion trailers before so I thought maybe it was for the Teshigahara Production company who originally released the film, but I couldn't find it used on any of the director/company's other trailers.

In any case, the film is based on a novel by Kobo Abe and on its wikipedia page the critic Max Tessier says,' the main theme of the film is the desire to escape from society.' Even if that's a total coincidence it seems fitting.

Posts Quantity
softfokus wrote:Gemini
========

sorry if this has already been discussed, but I didn't find any mention of it.

The sound, or 'logotone,' at the beginning of Gemini is also at the beginning of the Criterion trailer for 'Woman in the Dunes.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kX4h_sEBiI&t=4s
==

I've never heard it on other Janus/Criterion trailers before so I thought maybe it was for the Teshigahara Production company who originally released the film, but I couldn't find it used on any of the director/company's other trailers.

In any case, the film is based on a novel by Kobo Abe and on its wikipedia page the critic Max Tessier says,' the main theme of the film is the desire to escape from society.' Even if that's a total coincidence it seems fitting.

Description:
"My custom trailer for the amazing Japanese thriller, Woman in the Dunes."

Posts Quantity
lol. looked right over that.

Eagle Minded
Hi,

I was listening to some April Orchestra catalog and came across a track by Patrick Vasori called digital symphony. There is a 4 second part of the track where it is almost identical to BoC - m9. BoC seemed to have developed the idea a lot more but I am convinced of it's inspiration. I've recently put the track on a mix I did on soundcloud. The part in question happens at 07:01.

Please feel free to listen to the whole mix though by all means :P

https://soundcloud.com/soulflask/soul-f ... -throw-mix

Eagle Minded
Deezer's new tool, Spleeter, can separate several audio tracks from mp3. Is anyone here willing to try it out? It can separate up to 5 'stems', I started trying it on Tomorrow's Harvest on my office but it makes my crappy PC crash. It would be interesting to hear what can come out of it, maybe we can find something interesting.

https://github.com/deezer/spleeter

Dayvan Cowboy
^ Interesting although I suspect that even with improvements it might not get beyond a certain point. It isn't all that intelligent, I know people throw words like 'smart' and 'AI' around a lot these days, but it just seems to be very selective noise reduction switching to different values based on the track*. The weird artifacts you get with that are unlikely to go any time soon.

Still, it could be interesting for use on BoC tracks. I would imagine the reason it crashed on you was precisely because it was a BoC track. They maybe didn't have that kind of recording in mind, which is amusing. They likely had success with three piece punk bands and pop music and weren't expecting the big boys of audio fuckery to become involved.

Keep us updated if you manage to get a track through there!

*inb4 someone else pitches in and tells me that the way in which it has learned to change the value technically makes it smart and/or AI

Eagle Minded
I still want to know what particular tube amps/preamps they prefer to use... minus the grundig... I don’t think everything is tape recorded. Some tracks sound digitally recorded but not on cheap recorders or interfaces. They mentioned they like to layer sometimes hundreds of one keyboard sound onto one tube tape track... they mention it “microtonally blends sounds together”... I have recently tried this and it definitely produces some very interesting anomalies in the tracks... some of which sound almost identical to what they have achieved... add that plus heavy compression and maybe a ring mod... blend that with an obscure vocal sample and voila!.... I recently used my Revere 1950’s mono tube r2r and man.... it sounds very very similar... you can then sample that and fine tune pitch adjust it to fit whatever song they are working on plus they use custom made sequencers too...

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada