Your Boards of Canada Collection

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:The paper of my Tomorrow's Harvest cd got stuck to a table and when I pulled it off, it tore the back cover right off. Trust me, I'd be pissed if it was any of other cd; but honestly, now my copy looks like one you'd find in a post apocalpytic world.

https://imgur.com/a/NH5b0tl

That is pretty beautiful, actually.

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:Image

The bowl looks like a red cornea.
Does that album see through red eye?

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:The paper of my Tomorrow's Harvest cd got stuck to a table and when I pulled it off, it tore the back cover right off. Trust me, I'd be pissed if it was any of other cd; but honestly, now my copy looks like one you'd find in a post apocalpytic world.

Ha! That’s awesome... I accidentally left my custom Tomorrow’s Harvest cassette in the car in the hot sun and it warped the piss out of it all... sound and artwork haha... super sun-bleached and all warbled and blended and lower pitch

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip wrote:

Ha! That’s awesome... I accidentally left my custom Tomorrow’s Harvest cassette in the car in the hot sun and it warped the piss out of it all... sound and artwork haha... super sun-bleached and all warbled and blended and lower pitch

That's awesome too. Honestly, it's funny how BOC is one of the only bands where the destruction of music is viewed as beautiful and so the destruction of their actual products actually fits in with their aesthetic.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
Soul_Slip wrote:

That's awesome too. Honestly, it's funny how BOC is one of the only bands where the destruction of music is viewed as beautiful and so the destruction of their actual products actually fits in with their aesthetic.

Yeah and that’s why when some people, here and on Facebook, criticized me for recording TH to cassette through some of my vintage equipment, I laughed it off knowing they don’t really know. BoC love old warbled filtered and destroyed material... what I call “cupboard tapes” that one finds in old houses/abandoned buildings.... I have quite the collection of such odd finds lol

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip wrote:Yeah and that’s why when some people, here and on Facebook, criticized me for recording TH to cassette through some of my vintage equipment, I laughed it off knowing they don’t really know. BoC love old warbled filtered and destroyed material... what I call “cupboard tapes” that one finds in old houses/abandoned buildings.... I have quite the collection of such odd finds lol

Tomorrow's Harvest probably sounds ten times better on cassette, especially broadcast out of an old car system. I've found that BOC sounds a lot more awesome on record players too. I have a fairly cheap one so the music sounds a bit wobbly. It produces an even more disorienting effect with Geogaddi playing on it.

Posts Quantity
Got myself my first BoC CD today :D

MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Posts Quantity
fefor wrote:Got myself my first BoC CD today :D

Grats! I have yet to own any on CD, but I got 'em all on vinyl (minus some rarities of course).

Enjoy Happy Cycling! That's a good track that I had to download separately.

Dayvan Cowboy
Because we only live once in this world, I bought myself an Aquarius single. https://imgur.com/a/1t6rqSy You can go on discogs and see how much money I spent and how insane I am for doing so.

Track reviews:

Aquarius Version One: I could be imagining things but are the synths more mellow on this version? There's also a more lo-fi quality to the drums. I noticed the counting is different too. Like all the other Aquariuses I feel there is one for every occasion. The standard Aquarius is when you're just in a fun, casual mood. Version 3 is when you're lit and wanting to party (I'm going to play this as soon as BOC announce their next move) and Version 1 seems to be the chilliest of them all.

Chinook: I've always loved Chinook from the Boc Maxima rip but this one sounds a lot closer to something from Music Has The Right To Children and is even better. The synths sound a bit more hi-fi (though it could just be how low quality the Boc Maxima recording is) and the drums and all those various effects around them sound so much cooler too. As for the extra few minutes, to me, there are very few electronica groups who could last a few minutes on the sound of drum tracks alone but BOC are absolutely one of them. There's just something magical about their crunchy drum tracks that is near impossible to reduplicate.

On a random note, Chinook reminds me of the post apocalyptic vein they were going for with Tomorrow's Harvest but with the colorful synths of their classic period.

New Seed
I only have the Music Has The Right digipak, but I think about a year ago I got Peel Session off of Bleep.

Posts Quantity
I bought Dirty Great Mable on Discogs for £2 just for the BOC mix. :mrgreen:

Posts Quantity
I think the most valuable BoC-related thing I own is an official poster of Tomorrow's Harvest cover from the listening session that happened in California, along with some stickers that were also given there.
I wasn't at the event, but some guy on this forum offered to give his to whoever could guess a number he picked. I got lucky and he very kindly sent it to me, from the US to France. It is now framed and hung in my bedroom and I love it.

Other than that I just own TH and Geogaddi on vinyl. Peel Session ordered.

Dayvan Cowboy
https://imgur.com/a/kT3iYJz

Played my Aquarius single for the first time. Pretty much the equivalent of cracking open a bottle of expensive fine wine and taking a sip. It sounded great though. I always lament that Chinook didn't have a better fate than this limited single because it's one helluva track, especially in this form.

Friendly Stranger
Echelon wrote:https://imgur.com/a/kT3iYJz

Played my Aquarius single for the first time. Pretty much the equivalent of cracking open a bottle of expensive fine wine and taking a sip. It sounded great though. I always lament that Chinook didn't have a better fate than this limited single because it's one helluva track, especially in this form.

Wow. How much did that run you?

Dayvan Cowboy
Juggle wrote:

150 + 15 dollar shipping. I don't know how often those surface on discogs so I bit the bullet. Might be the most expensive music purchase I made. I'm such a big fan that I wanted to own at least one piece of musical history with boc.

I'm not insane enough to buy the MASKs though. This was my limit in my fandom.

Friendly Stranger
Echelon wrote:
Juggle wrote:

150 + 15 dollar shipping. I don't know how often those surface on discogs so I bit the bullet. Might be the most expensive music purchase I made. I'm such a big fan that I wanted to own at least one piece of musical history with boc.

I'm not insane enough to buy the MASKs though. This was my limit in my fandom.

I guess as a fun sidenote relating to the Aquarius single, anybody notice some slight similarities between The Monkee's "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd." cover art and the Aquarius insert (maybe too the faceless people in MHTRTC/name of the track)?
Spoiler: show

Just something interesting I noticed while listening to the album.
edit: Also, just wanted to ask somebody with direct access to the single: what's with the tape on the cover? Is the "BOARDS OF CANADA" printed on the tape itself or does the tape just cover it?

Dayvan Cowboy
Juggle wrote:I guess as a fun sidenote relating to the Aquarius single, anybody notice some slight similarities between The Monkee's "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd." cover art and the Aquarius insert (maybe too the faceless people in MHTRTC/name of the track)?
Spoiler: show

Just something interesting I noticed while listening to the album.
edit: Also, just wanted to ask somebody with direct access to the single: what's with the tape on the cover? Is the "BOARDS OF CANADA" printed on the tape itself or does the tape just cover it?

No idea about the tape. It is peeling off and I'm scared to monkey around with it (pardon the pun) in case I need to sell it. I think that the font is printed on the single though.

Dayvan Cowboy
Got myself a Turquoise Hexagon from the Geogaddi listening party. I felt a bit of buyers remorse but it's from my personal favorite era of the band so I'm glad I bought it. Geodaddi will always be a beautifully trippy motion picture for my mind and now I have something to commemorate it.

I also wasn't able to attend said listening parties because I was in second grade so this makes up for it haha

Dayvan Cowboy
Triple post but here's my Geogaddi postcard and the turquoise hexagon: https://imgur.com/a/qD3YF0E

Looking for some of the original vinyl pressing stickers or post cards to buy if anyone has em :) Getting these started my collecting bug.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada