GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
I wonder if the three exclamation marks were a clue. If it was ChkChkChk though i'm not sure why they would be secret.
At this point, I don't really care.
You could feel the bullshit

Friendly Stranger
So it's been a while, and I still can't find the source of where "the wait for the next album won't be as long" came from. It wasn't mdg. Was it something someone said out of wishful thinking and it caught on?

Eagle Minded
Business as usual, I see.

'Till next time.. cheers.

Sherbet Head
Nottoolate wrote:
Echelon wrote:Well regardless of who it is, I cannot find any info anywhere about what happened at the event.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4VMNLhDsTS/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4VtcZgBUZq/

Turns out it was a surprise !!! set, makes sense since they had a three day string of shows in Japan before this. Seems unlikely anyone else played with them but from the few clips I've seen their set sounded funky as fuck :)

Ha, sorry totally missed your post when I commented below. Must have looked odd haha.
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
The BOC YouTube page finally gave XYZ its own playlist... Sorry guys, ran out of interesting observations to make :P
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:The BOC YouTube page finally gave XYZ its own playlist... Sorry guys, ran out of interesting observations to make :P

I am sure they are busy working on their next project... they still seem motivated judging by their most recent work... my hopes are for some sort of video album like the the wall or a live show in tamdem with an album... I still want to hear more guitar drone tracks and shoegaze tracks from them...fingers crossed!... ;)

Dayvan Cowboy
vapordracula wrote:So it's been a while, and I still can't find the source of where "the wait for the next album won't be as long" came from. It wasn't mdg. Was it something someone said out of wishful thinking and it caught on?

It wasn't MDG to the best of my recollection, it also wasn't a rumor or wishful thinking that caught on or was misinterpreted. I can't recall where I read the interview text from around the release of TH, but quite a few of us here also recall reading said interview. It wasn't a transcript uploaded by a user or anything of that nature, either, it was quite a well known publication.

Will attempt to dig it up and get back to you here.

All it amounts to is "we aspire to leave a less of a gap this time" inevitably, though. Whenever they say they intend to do something, it means they will work towards it but nothing is set in stone as far as we can see historically. Otherwise we would have had a BoC film and Chris Morris on bass by now; that said, how do we know Chris Morris didn't play bass on one of their tracks? There is some decent live bass guitar on XYZ...

Sorry, I am going on about different subjects loosely connected again. Oh well :mrgreen:

Eagle Minded
I also read that interview, I don’t remember which thread it was in and i thought it was also just on bocpages too but haven’t been able to find it.... might have been a blog interview or from a new magazine... i seem to recall the guy who contacted them and was able to pre-listen to it and he also posted a brief pre-review of each track listed with his thoughts about each... if that may jog your memory a little... it was around that time... I remember because of what he said about Jacquard Causeway... that it was blissful and reminded him of Dayvan Cowboy if I remember correctly.... even if it wasn’t that one it was around that time..

Sherbet Head
I think the interview was in a British newspaper, I can't remember which.. Maybe the Independant? Or perhaps that was just a Tomorrow's Harvest album review..

Can't remember but I'm sure it was an interview

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip and Luminousdusk both recall as I do, yes. It was a well known British newspaper (it may have been the Guardian), and as far as I can recall, they did have early access to the album. The interview came in late May or early June and I think it was an email conducted via email and the interviewer made a point of mentioning it, although that could be me confusing it with another.

Eagle Minded
can't believe I missed the "Look Sad Reel" video clip from Tomorrow's Harvest listening party from Hell Interface Youtube Channel... I absolutely love the broken VHS visuals and the warped vocals..... genius...
VHS recording has become a huge staple in a lot of my newer tracks and productions.... it has a certain "crunchy", wide stereo sound that is unique to that format... also certain tape formulations have their own "color" that is unlike that of certain tape decks but in a different light... just picked up a broadcast Panasonic multitrack VHS recorder that has some unique audio, speed, and pitch features which also has a midi sync function and built in vhs effects for weird visuals if I want to make music videos or music video albums.... very analog sounding... very twoismish/TH vibe... has 4 xlr i/o too! now I want to find a mixing board from that suite/era....

Dayvan Cowboy
I spoke to Joyrex about this phantom quote from MDG and/or the brothers and it turns out it was said to him in an email from MDG in 2014. Reproduced with his permission, MDG said: "What I can say is that there's clearly a desire to get a new record out soon, ie not years away like last time."

Make of it what you will, but personally I feel the brothers wanted to make the record quicker but life got in the way again. But Societas X Tape was a statement of "We're still alive and working" just give it a bit longer.

Dayvan Cowboy
That is interesting and thank you for going to the trouble. This basically means that it was said twice, though, as most do recall reading a 2013 written interview in which one of the brothers states that it wouldn't be as long a gap between releases. I am not sure why it has vanished, or perhaps it wasn't worded in the ways that I have been searching for it.

Dayvan Cowboy
It could also be us misremembering (is that not a word? Spellcheck could only suggest 'dismembering' which isn't quite the one) it in unison, but given the details that are recollected, that seems unlikely somehow.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:It could also be us misremembering (is that not a word? Spellcheck could only suggest 'dismembering' which isn't quite the one) it in unison, but given the details that are recollected, that seems unlikely somehow.

I mean one of them did say that they'd make a more melodic album (Oh I hope!) next time around. I don't know if that counts.

Eagle Minded
Yeah I hope so... another song or two like “IABPOITC” or Amo Bishop Roden would be awesome. I also like Mr. Mistake instrumental was also really melodic, although that song makes me feel a little sad haha like “it’s too late and there is nothing we can do”... lol
Although that was probably it’s intention.. still a masterpiece

Dayvan Cowboy
Roswell wrote:Just thought I'd put out my predictions, not sure if i already have but gotta keep this thread alive!!

2019: Some smaller releases for Warp30 anniversary, they'll definitely put out something for this.

2020: BoC set hopefully, MDG did say that it would be after the next release, which was TH, so hopefully thats whats coming next, regardless-something big should be coming in 2020.

2022: Geogaddi 20th anniversary, we will all feel very sad and old. but hey maybe another lithograph print!

So far Roswell's prediction in February was right! Sure enough we got something for Warp 30.

I'm willing to bet on the other two too. I mean 2022 is a given, but I have a good feeling about 2020. Just a bunch of weird little things seem to hint at it

Posts Quantity
Nice! Yeah some info or an announcement would be great. So far, my old predictions look like they were off the mark a bit:

- Announcement of a new album in 2019
- New album release in 2020

C'est la vie! :(

Dayvan Cowboy
The music is being made, although I want to get back into the excitement of new release predictions etc.
Someone throw some clues at me! I could use something to look forward to just now anyway.

Where is Opothocary these days?

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:The music is being made, although I want to get back into the excitement of new release predictions etc.
Someone throw some clues at me! I could use something to look forward to just now anyway.

Where is Opothocary these days?

1. "Give it a bit longer"
2. Warp 30 Bleep Store is a placeholder for something else
3. "Something else" is written on some boxes next to the Warp 30 boxsets
4. Sample clearance for XYZ means that they might have done other sample clearances. Also BOC are looking at their past unreleased music

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada