Echus cover

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Hello Twoism. I wanted to challenge myself by trying to make a recreation of one of my favorite tracks, Echus. Also to have a version without a noisy crowd. I would say the chords were the hardest part of the challenge because of all the small variations Boards put in there, presumably because it was played by hands. Anyway, I hope you will enjoy it.

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
blessed

Dayvan Cowboy
Are you sure BOC didn't just give you the studio version of Echus and you're being modest? This is great! :D
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Friendly Stranger
What a treat!

Sherbet Head
Very good, nice work

Eagle Minded
Great cover! Spot on with the synth patch there.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Are you sure BOC didn't just give you the studio version of Echus and you're being modest? This is great! :D

Seconded. This is flawless

Eagle Minded
This is fantastic, you've nailed the timbre and emotion, bravo.

Eagle Minded
Amazing

Sherbet Head
wow, this is really a great recreation! any details on the synth(s) / software / patch ?

Boqurant
northernlite wrote:wow, this is really a great recreation! any details on the synth(s) / software / patch ?

I made the patch with serum. I just tried to mimic the first note from the source and then play the chords with that. It sounded quite like it, but the chords also needed something so I layered a quiet simple square with it to get the missing harmonics.

Eagle Minded
Mansin wrote:
northernlite wrote:wow, this is really a great recreation! any details on the synth(s) / software / patch ?

I made the patch with serum. I just tried to mimic the first note from the source and then play the chords with that. It sounded quite like it, but the chords also needed something so I layered a quiet simple square with it to get the missing harmonics.

Serum really is a dark horse, so capable.

Friendly Stranger
Echus just hits you right in the heart every time. You did an excellent job transcribing the chord progression & recreating the timbres/ textures. There are chords that feel open and neutral until an additional note enters the picture and somehow shifts the entire piece harmonically into that intensely heartfelt zone..

Sherbet Head
Mansin wrote:

awesome! i love serum, it's my favorite VST by far.

Dayvan Cowboy
I tried syncing this over the original expecting to hear phasing or doubling etc. which is what you tend to get when recordings are incredibly close to each other; this is something else and the only result was that the crowd noise was reduced by 50%.

I know I posted before, but the more I listen to this, the more it is evident that the attention to detail here is surreal.

Boqurant
Well that's flattering.

New Seed
Sounds awesome, defo in my top 5 of theres, anyone know of any 747 covers? i have don emy own sort of reimagne of Echus check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SCIlrfQJaI

Eagle Minded
Already made a comment on the video. Here's your studio version guys.

Wanna recreate other unreleased tracks? 8)

Eagle Minded
Mansin wrote:

Did you program it all or did you use any sort of gear or midi controller? Great job by the way!
I have only covered Happy Cycling once live with my band but haven’t tried to record a multitrack yet..

Boqurant
Soul_Slip wrote:
Mansin wrote:

Did you program it all or did you use any sort of gear or midi controller? Great job by the way!
I have only covered Happy Cycling once live with my band but haven’t tried to record a multitrack yet..

I basically programmed it all. I am so bad at playing instruments. :oops: :lol:

Next

Return to Boards of Canada