GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
mechanismj wrote:Not sure if this is what you are hinting at, but I tend to think that the title MHTRTC has to do with how open and impressionable our minds our when we are children. The sounds and music we hear as children deeply affect us much more than the stuff we hear later on in life.
Agreed. MHtRtC, with it 1970s nature documentary and Sesemy Street samples are clear references to the Brothers' own childhoods. Obviously alluding to how much of an impression music has on children at a young age.

Sent from my ASUS_A002A using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
100 PERCENT CERTAIN THIS IS NEW BOC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BogeXh39LJc

Happy Cycler
Sl Flk wrote:100 PERCENT CERTAIN THIS IS NEW BOC

Nah, that's the OST. It even says so.

Eagle Minded

Happy Cycler
Sl Flk wrote:who is ost? Im telling ya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMqfmCscYGk

Must be someone who really loves making BoC influenced music. Tempest is actually pretty awesome.

I dunno. A band who has expressed disinterest in social media and the internet at large randomly decides to drop full tracks on an unknown social media account? I'm not buying it.

Don't let me stop you though. If you find any other awesome tracks let us know!

Eagle Minded

This is Ben Machin. I seen the Facebook post. He's a great musician and overall a great guy. I've talked to him before and trust me, this isnt BOC. He''s just great at making BOC inspired music.
no information at this moment in time

Eagle Minded
Roswell wrote:

This is Ben Machin. I seen the Facebook post. He's a great musician and overall a great guy. I've talked to him before and trust me, this isnt BOC. He''s just great at making BOC inspired music.

It is VERY good music. I was sure it was them :) I was also linked to this music by Ben, but thought his profile looked suspect.

Sherbet Head
It's unmistakably not BoC. Anyone that tries to do a BoC tunes goes way too hifi or lofi, this is so clean and underworked that it's just a nice, decent homage.
BoC's final master output is super clean of course but it's the process that's been pawed over for an age to get the lofi.
Other people try and match BoC sounds in a quick easy way then age in the mix and master. It should be the opposite if you want to make a tune that could be theirs. You cannot create a sound that they would use with one source. Spend time destroying sounds in their infancy, turning things inside out and degrading on the way in, combine many sounds in order to sound like one. Then once mixed and sounding how it's meant to be, master really high quality.
Of course i'm still speculating, I don't actually know but because I do very similar you kind of recognise how people could get their sound by the accidents and surprises from your experimentation.
Also, with the melodic content, you have to get into their minds and assume what they will come up with by studying their past techniques all while assuming that they will have learnt new tricks and expanded their chops. Their chops are again unmistakeable and people who try to make a BoC tune have their own style which gets in the way.

Mumblings of an idiot, sorry.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:It's unmistakably not BoC. Anyone that tries to do a BoC tunes goes way too hifi or lofi, this is so clean and underworked that it's just a nice, decent homage.
BoC's final master output is super clean of course but it's the process that's been pawed over for an age to get the lofi.
Other people try and match BoC sounds in a quick easy way then age in the mix and master. It should be the opposite if you want to make a tune that could be theirs. You cannot create a sound that they would use with one source. Spend time destroying sounds in their infancy, turning things inside out and degrading on the way in, combine many sounds in order to sound like one. Then once mixed and sounding how it's meant to be, master really high quality.
Of course i'm still speculating, I don't actually know but because I do very similar you kind of recognise how people could get their sound by the accidents and surprises from your experimentation.
Also, with the melodic content, you have to get into their minds and assume what they will come up with by studying their past techniques all while assuming that they will have learnt new tricks and expanded their chops. Their chops are again unmistakeable and people who try to make a BoC tune have their own style which gets in the way.

Mumblings of an idiot, sorry.

I agree almost 100%. The old sounds are exactly that.... old, made by physical artifacts from a heavy production process.... My favorite quote from their interviews is “I don’t think people listen to our music the same way we do..... considering what goes into making it..” and also “we literally just jam out on instruments for hours and hours...” ....they combine hundreds of one key sound onto one mono track for micro-blending...i am sure there is a whole side to their music they we have no idea about and that possibility really intrigues me..

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm not a huge unreleased BOC expert. But you have to be listening to them for the first time in your life. To think that ost is BOC

Eagle Minded
You can say whatever you like. But, I'm sticking to my intuition on this one. One thing for sure, is that I'm not afraid to be wrong.

Eagle Minded

:twisted:

Posts Quantity
Mozart wrote:Image

another hi scores repress. this isn't the BoC release i was hoping for <:)

Eagle Minded
Mozart wrote:Image

It's always interesting to listen to anybody's interpretations of Boards Of Canada's track, album titles, song lengths, the list goes on. At the very least it proves that we are supposed to be thinking about this.

I'm sure they're working us up to something new though. I can feel it in my bones. It's getting close. And It's great that all their old music is likely reaching a new, younger audience.

I mean... I'm 40 (which is likely what I'm really feeling in my bones) and as you will read in the article I wrote, I remember very well listening to them for the first time, as many of you do too. I for one get very excited by the fact that they are still lifting the heads of the youth. That is an incredible achievement for any band. The past inside the present. It gives me hope for the future.

Boqurant
Something just occured to me while listening to the version of Julie and Candy that's on youtube from Warp Lighthouse Party - the live one that was uploaded in 2009. I remember this video was somewhat related to the launch of Tomorrow's Harvest because at one point X's appear on the screen like the untitled records that were found during that time.

There's a muffled voice in that version of Julie and Candy that sounds as if it's saying "seven years" and it dawned on me that Tomorrow's Harvest was released June 5th, 2013. I bought my copy from a local CD shop just before it closed down.

If you total "seven years" with TH date of 2013 you get 2020. I don't know if this has been noticed before, or if maybe I'm hearing the voice sample incorrectly so I might be wrong. Given some of the number theories etc. I thought it was curious. Probably nothing, just wanted to mention since it had crossed my mind.

Sherbet Head
I know they like to plan but hinting at a future release before they even start to promote their next one is a stretch.
You can find plausible ideas in anything if you look hard enough. I just don't think they are that arsed to do stuff like that. Sure they embed many things and some we have maybe still yet to uncover but things with insanely thought out preplanning are just fantasy.
Shouldn't stop you finding little fun coincidences though, that's cool.

Boqurant
True, considering that version of Julie and Candy was played around the year 2000, so that would imply at least 2 decades of planning/waiting. Improbable as you say, I agree. In a lot of ways something like that doesn't make sense for a band to do, I also thought that I can't really imagine another group who might intentionally design something like that, for whatever reason.

BoC seems like they are careful with every song and how they approach every release, so in my mind it didn't seem like that far of a stretch. As always I guess we'll wait and see if something happens hehe.

Dayvan Cowboy
They were hinted at "few" albums at the release of TH in 2013. If Iremember correctly in one interview. They said almost " we have so much unreleased matterial laying arround. Which need still to be polish. But something along the lines, "we select from the best. and it's enough for an album or two"
Anyway, my theory is that the album is done long time ago. They just don't release it for some reason.

Sherbet Head
Eastern european theme for next album confirmed!

Posts Quantity
arvy wrote:They were hinted at "few" albums at the release of TH in 2013. If Iremember correctly in one interview. They said almost " we have so much unreleased matterial laying arround. Which need still to be polish.

Kurwa Industries?
Piotr Standing Alone?
Slow This Barszcz Down?

I'm so sorry..

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada