Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Has anyone managed to find the Bing Crosby Minute Maid ad yet? :)

I tried looking but I didn't find the one they included.

Friendly Stranger
sixtyniner wrote:Has anyone managed to find the Bing Crosby Minute Maid ad yet? :)

I'm thinking it might be from the old radio shows, but there are so many. There are a fair few here https://archive.org/details/otr_crosby.

Eg listen to the live ads for Chesterfield cigarettes! https://archive.org/details/otr_crosby/BingCrosby_1951-05-23_LouisArmstrong.mp3

Friendly Stranger
On second thoughts, the commercial is probably much later than the 50's: "no preservatives or additives". So 1970s+ ?

Eagle Minded
When potatoes pour out from beneath the earth surface, Incredible flavoured crisps sometimes occur.

https://youtu.be/tguGciAQ4Ek

Dayvan Cowboy
Sl Flk wrote:When potatoes pour out from beneath the earth surface, Incredible flavoured crisps sometimes occur.

The preparation for a snack is always a tense time

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:
Sl Flk wrote:When potatoes pour out from beneath the earth surface, Incredible flavoured crisps sometimes occur.

The preparation for a snack is always a tense time

MIND BLOWN hahahah

Boqurant

Oh my word I haven't seen that see ~ 1986 at primary school - wow thanks for sharing. Nothing healthier than crisps served with baked beans - not! :D

On another note I still keep listening to this broadcast and its become a really strange experience - like with TH I listened to it live via streaming online and I'm still emotionally blown away by the music, samples and influences...that two hour journey will stay with me for a long time to come.

Dayvan Cowboy
The two main messages I get from Societas X Tape are "We're working on music but while we're doing that, go out and see the musical world. Really dive in deep and find these wonderful little obscurities."

In a way, it's sort of like The Avalanche's two albums. Those guys take music that literally no one knows and flush it out to a bigger audience with a humorous good natured flair.

Not every track hits home for me, (There's one in particular that sonically annoys me, but I refuse to name names) but a good majority of them are wonderful discoveries that I would never know without the help of my favorite electronica group.

I could go for a second one if the brothers don't want to release music at the time. Hint hint ;)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:The two main messages I get from Societas X Tape are "We're working on music but while we're doing that, go out and see the musical world. Really dive in deep and find these wonderful little obscurities."

In a way, it's sort of like The Avalanche's two albums. Those guys take music that literally no one knows and flush it out to a bigger audience with a humorous good natured flair.

Not every track hits home for me, (There's one in particular that sonically annoys me, but I refuse to name names) but a good majority of them are wonderful discoveries that I would never know without the help of my favorite electronica group.

I could go for a second one if the brothers don't want to release music at the time. Hint hint ;)

It kind of seems like The Avalanches are hinting towards a new album or EP in the near future, posting cryptical hints and stuff.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Dayvan Cowboy
portiss wrote:
Echelon wrote:The two main messages I get from Societas X Tape are "We're working on music but while we're doing that, go out and see the musical world. Really dive in deep and find these wonderful little obscurities."

It kind of seems like The Avalanches are hinting towards a new album or EP in the near future, posting cryptical hints and stuff.

That's awesome that it's not going to be another 15 years for them. :lol:
Let's hope BOC never take 15 years. Hope I didn't jinx us :P

Eagle Minded
Pretty sure one of the first unknown tracks, the dark techno esque song, is a “Sean Booth” recording or tape. BoC have consistently mentioned they used to “trade” demo tapes of samples and songs with Sean Booth and Autechre, and this track sounds almost the same in terms of style and beat structure as one of the tracks on the Autechre WARP 30 warp tapes mix. I listened to both of them right after each other again the other day and that song was almost clear as day!.... i will post back after work with track numbers and time stamps...

Friendly Stranger

Happy Cycler
Walkingcloud wrote:https://youtu.be/SQ959s4j3o4

Nice find! I always wondered if those background voices were part of the actual track or something BoC worked in. Now we know!

Posts Quantity
Walkingcloud wrote:https://youtu.be/SQ959s4j3o4

Wow finally
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Sherbet Head
What we listening for?

Boqurant
luminousdusk wrote:What we listening for?

What?

Dayvan Cowboy
These days make me think of one of the adverts on Societas

Get a shot of protection....Get a shot of protection... Get a shot of protection...

Pretty damn creepy if you ask me

Sherbet Head
The corona virus shot ;)

Eagle Minded
Any new leads on fretless bass track? If found this could cure corona virus.

Eagle Minded
Moz wrote:Any new leads on fretless bass track? If found this could cure corona virus.

I think it's a BoC original. Especially since they mention in several interviews that they have recorded a ton of songs where you would never believe it's them. Also it sounds a lot like Julie and Candy. We also know that they own a fretless bass since we can hear it in Dave I'm a Real Traditionalist off OTV2.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada