GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:"BOC will have a new site up at some point with news of what they're doing."

-Said by MDG, on February 3rd, 2015.

Five years ago. That must be one hell of a website. Maybe they've spent the last 7 years perfecting web design and haven't even started the new record. XD

Maybe they're trying to get juuuuust the right pitch on that HTML5 code, but can't seem to find the right distortion level in this brave new digital world :D
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:"BOC will have a new site up at some point with news of what they're doing."

-Said by MDG, on February 3rd, 2015.

And now with flash gone we have to wait another five years for them to redo the website in html5 :shock:

Dayvan Cowboy
I personally think they're redesigning that flight simulator. The old graphics reminded me of Star Fox for SNES but now they're making it all HD with more explosions and the ability to fly around a ruined San Francisco.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
They have said that Music70 is into film making and visual stuff too. So we might see the day of a BoC movie, maybe an hour long Reach For The Dead kind of video to go alongside the next album.
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
The Spaniard wrote: It is not like they jump down from their cloud and give us an album for free.

Eh, their official Youtube has been filled with effectively their entire discography for free. These days, artists really do bestow their music on the world. To listen to an album at home is no longer something gated by the need to purchase it.

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:
The Spaniard wrote: It is not like they jump down from their cloud and give us an album for free.

Eh, their official Youtube has been filled with effectively their entire discography for free. These days, artists really do bestow their music on the world. To listen to an album at home is no longer something gated by the need to purchase it.

Haha, yes, like any other music artist in the world!! Now, I wish I could freely download their t-shirts too, which cost at least $30 to $33 dollars once you add shipping.

Hey guys, by the way, they have restocked their "20th anniversary" (1998) celebration tshirts with the kids and stuff stamped on them. Isn't that good news? But don't you purchase them. Let's just wait to give them our money only if they release a new album.

And... today is Feb 29th, a day that takes place every four years only. Another good date to release an album passing by!

Posts Quantity
TheStatPow wrote:They have said that Music70 is into film making and visual stuff too. So we might see the day of a BoC movie, maybe an hour long Reach For The Dead kind of video to go alongside the next album.

Yes, that is true. I have read that Mike actually worked at the university or am I mistaken about this? I think I read that somewhere.

Dayvan Cowboy
I got a newsletter from Warp records announcing a Squarepusher EP in April and it got me wondering, do you think that Warp have a schedule/deadline for BOC and they're going to release something when none of the other giants are releasing stuff?

I always think of the big four on Warp (Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Autechre and BOC) and how Warp always go all out when promoting their releases. I'm sure when BOC get around to finally releasing something, it's going to be with a huge promotion from the label.

I'm also amazed how relaxed Warp are with BOC. I wonder if they even have a deadline sometimes. That and no touring commitments either. I guess that comes with being one of the hugest bands on the label.

Eagle Minded
Funny thing. Almost 7 years after its release, TH sounds and feels more relevant than ever.

Posts Quantity
Moloch wrote:Funny thing. Almost 7 years after its release, TH sounds and feels more relevant than ever.

I always thought that th was the "weakest" boc album for the longest time. every re listen grooves my old self wrong.

Eagle Minded
what can we really expect from a new album? what do we want in a new album? Harking back to older sounds, exploring new sounds? continuing the expedition of TH's sounds? A complete overhaul and experimentation? What COULD BoC make that they haven't already touched upon? I'm curious and trying to envision and imagine what it would sound like but it seems hopelessly impossible.
you don't care to hear until you listen

Eagle Minded
I think maybe the styles of their latest remixes could make for a really interesting album.... those had the classic sounds but also were a lot different then what we were used to. “Sometimes” sounded to me like a mixture of MHTRTC and CH.... I would absolutely dig an album along that vein, or even more newer experimental stuff like Basefree and audio 07A from R35TT. Maybe a more melodic album like they have recently said they may consider for the future.... even an official OST to some movie.... or video project like “The Wall”

Dayvan Cowboy
In_The_Annexe wrote:what can we really expect from a new album? what do we want in a new album? Harking back to older sounds, exploring new sounds? continuing the expedition of TH's sounds? A complete overhaul and experimentation? What COULD BoC make that they haven't already touched upon? I'm curious and trying to envision and imagine what it would sound like but it seems hopelessly impossible.

I've said this before but the Sometimes remix is like flowers growing in the cracks of the dilapidated buildings of Tomorrow's Harvest. It's very bright, organic and hopeful.

I think BOC might make a hopeful rebirth record but temper it with the paganist beliefs that come at the start of every new civilization.

Maybe it'll be a fusion of the cultism of Geogaddi and the naturalism of Headphase. Closest examples of that is Last Walk Around Mirror Lake where clicky drums and geogaddi synths were tempered with the natural acoustic guitar.

Eagle Minded
'tween my sophomore'n'junior years'f college, I subletted in a rainforest-humid apartment with an old friend who was very into bong rips and watching deepdark-YouTube UFO conspiracy videos (Not the beginner shit ... you basically have to watch days worth'f UFO vids to access these prophecies. [And this is what he did.])

Anyway, (our other roommate collected his unwashed beer bottles atop a cabinet and we had to bushwhack through fruitfly clouds), I noticed within me a subtle rumble: a belief that some sort'f planetary moment was impending and I just knew this, somehow ... only to realize my roommate's videos had wormed into my mind (even though I was mostly disinterested in said videos).

I bring this up 'cause I've been majorly rediscovering BoC's work with fresh eyes (a peak experience of life, rediscovering) and so visiting Twoism and other BoC-related forums more than average ... and I've come to feel like the world is portending that a new BoC release is imminent ... but it's just like the UFO thing!
"We are what we read."

And isn't there a funny lesson here about perception?

Also: I'm not sure I appreciated fully, as a high-school and college student, how cool it is that this forum exists. A bunch of people "gathering" in a "place" just to appreciate this work and see how our lives align otherwise. 'Cause BoC's impacted me almost certainly more, musically, than any other artist. So we're all here trying to figure that out. It's twisty.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Eagle Minded

Eagle Minded
Wonder if Tomorrow's Harvest's ARG would have been successful had it been released during this mess? Hope everyone is making out alright!

New album should be a mix of Geogaddi Pt. 2 with the overarching themes of TH right aboot now....2020, what a time to be alive.
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Dayvan Cowboy
Did anyone ever figure out what the X in Societas X Tape meant?

Anyone think it's the roman numeral for 10? Like Societas 10th Tape? I'm still thinking it might actually be a series of tapes that get released one day.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Did anyone ever figure out what the X in Societas X Tape meant?

Anyone think it's the roman numeral for 10? Like Societas 10th Tape? I'm still thinking it might actually be a series of tapes that get released one day.

I always thought of the x to represent "mix".

Eagle Minded
drixlin wrote:

Same! ^^

Dayvan Cowboy
drixlin wrote:

That's unfortunately the more plausible answer. My mind always dreams up the coolest things in the absence of actual facts :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada