Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
sixtyniner wrote:
ZosoCon wrote:
sixtyniner wrote:I've just realised that from 4:30 in Chromakey Dreamcoat, there's a slowed down voice in the right channel:

What I hear is something like "it started out of god! barbecue see that thunder" :P

Nice find! It's from a Reese's Peanut Butter Cups commercial from 1979
"Peanut Butter. It's doggone good!"

Holy shet! Nice one mate

WHAT?! Holy hell, man! Nice find! It's as if the commercial were peanut butter, and the song was the chocolate, and you put the two great tastes together!

Seriously though that is some impressive sleuthing. How did you figure it out?

Also, anybody else surprised by the crunchy peanut butter cups?

Sherbet Head
ZosoCon wrote:
sixtyniner wrote:I've just realised that from 4:30 in Chromakey Dreamcoat, there's a slowed down voice in the right channel:

What I hear is something like "it started out of god! barbecue see that thunder" :P

Nice find! It's from a Reese's Peanut Butter Cups commercial from 1979
"Peanut Butter. It's doggone good!"

how in the hell did you figure that out?!

Eagle Minded
mechanismj wrote:
WHAT?! Holy hell, man! Nice find! It's as if the commercial were peanut butter, and the song was the chocolate, and you put the two great tastes together!

Kudos to sixtyniner putting the magnifying glass on it. It didn't take much effort actually to find, gotta love the internet these days. Straight away I could hear what was being said "peanut butter it's doggone good", though "barbecue see that thunder" would have been a more glorious catchphrase ;).

Sherbet Head
Some funny observations I made when listening to Tomorrow's Harvest a bit louder than usual today on my more than decent headphones. Perhaps they've been mentioned before of course.

But right at the start of Nothing Is Real before the real track actually starts it sounds like people are hanging out in a pub or something playing pool/snooker and you can actually hear the balls hit twice.

And in New Seeds @ 00:39 there is this 'water dripping in the basement' kinda sound, two drops in a row, then changing in pitch up and down as the track progresses.

Disclaimer: my hearing might be wildly imaginative :lol:

I have to spot more of these I like them.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Eagle Minded
ZosoCon wrote:
mechanismj wrote:

Kudos to sixtyniner putting the magnifying glass on it. It didn't take much effort actually to find, gotta love the internet these days. Straight away I could hear what was being said "peanut butter it's doggone good", though "barbecue see that thunder" would have been a more glorious catchphrase ;).

I want to make a song with that as the title! Epic haha
“Barbecue See That Thunder”... what a cool interpretation
Sounds like “Oscar see through redeye” in a way

Eagle Minded
the 'sinusoida1' patch on the roland alpha juno sounds very similar to the pad on basefree. i accidentally played the part at 5:05 in the song and my mind snapped to that track in an instant. lol

Boqurant
I was listening to Satellite Anthem Icarus slowed down which revealed more details. I noticed the arpeggiated synth at 1:46 and thought it sounded familiar. I think it is the first webloop (first one in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6_FlG27Amo) I tried to take the loop and play the same notes and it sounded pretty alike. If you listen closely you can still hear the sweeping filter in Satellite Anthem Icarus that is baked into the sound.

Eagle Minded
The arpeggio that starts around 15 seconds in to Energy Warning sounds very similar to the one at the beginning of Paul Hart's album Futurism. It sounds like it was sampled in mono, pitched down, and then double tracked for a stereo effect. could be coincidental, but hey who knows?

Eagle Minded
So the other night I was listening to Mr. Mistake with my noise cancellation headphones and noticed something very subtle around 00m16s. I put it in Mono (the sample seems to be well centered in stereo so isolating the L or R channel didn't give any better clarity) then tweaked with the EQ and dynamics. https://soundcloud.com/zosocon/mr-mista ... ple-00m16s
I really don't like to stir up the BoC hysteria of hidden patterns/voices that aren't there; it's all subjective if there's not much to go off of. So with that said, here's what I'm hearing:
I think it's a 5 syllable voice sample through a vocoder. What is being said is anyone's guess and I'd like to see what other people think before hearing what I hear:
Spoiler: show
"Come and play with us", which would be a cool nod to Kubrick's masterpiece and would fit in with TH's 80's horror theme ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arS6NGJL9Ho&t=36s

It's now hard to hear anything else, but it could also be another voice sample taken from the FEMA videotape (Linda Thompson) as in Split Your Infinities. Anyway, kind of fun.

New Seed
Jango9 wrote:There's a repeated sample in The Beach At Redpoint that sounds something like a large animal growling that's been chopped up and spliced together, possibly from an old nature documentary or something? The same track also contains what seems to be a kid yelling "Wait!", and I don't think BoCpages has acknowledged either of these.

Maybe it comes from this documentary between 24:17 to 24:22? I'm not sure.
phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Someone in the comment section of my video managed to find the original interview with Jeff Lynne from ELO sampled on Happy Cycling

It's from Rockline hosted by Bob Coburn on 27 June 1983. You can hear the start of the sample at 22:06:
http://www.elodiscovery.com/interviews/ ... ckline.mp3

But the introduction heard in Happy Cycling wasn't on that broadcast, so they must have sampled something else instead. Maybe it's on this site which has a lot of other old ELO interviews: http://www.elodiscovery.com/Jeff-Lynne- ... iews2.html (Make sure you enable flash in your browser's site settings)

Boqurant
Just realized that the end of Open The Light samples a synth soundtrack from the Sesame Street Alaskan Ice Fishing segment:
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Image ImageImage

Eagle Minded
wow! good find

Posts Quantity
I found the sample at the end of concourse. It was known to be from an episode of Bob Vila's Home Again, so I took the trouble of finding it lol (I just used youtube's transcript tool, took me around 10 minutes). It's from episode 509:

phpBB [media]

Timestamps:
- 09:45 "I noticed that you.."
- 11:01 "It's another one of these.."
- 10:45 "right, that's correct.."
- 08:49 "looks like full-dimensional.."
- 11:42 "it makes a lot of sense.."
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Posts Quantity
So, in case some of you didn't see a post in the Societas Discussion topic, user Sl Flk noticed that on the Prisms & Views album by Stefan Zauner, the same album that contains the song Billy Miller, there's a particular sound at the end of song 3 (at 15:38 in the video) that sounds super similar to Ready Lets Go. The thing is, it's not EXACTLY the same in my opinion, just because I hear subtle differences or sounds that are not in Ready Lets Go (please have a listen to check for yourselves).
However, I recently noticed that the end of track 4 (21:01 in the video) features some children's laughs that are extremely similar to the ones at the start of IABPOITC, except for the kind of throaty/choaky laugh of one of the children. So both of these sounds are very similar to the samples used by BOC, but just not quite.

Do you think we have something here or not?

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Ok so on the verge of looking like a sample looking freak (I've just had luck, promise :mrgreen: ), here's the version of Quia Fecit Mihi Magna used in Soylent Night. I had to upload it to youtube cause it wasn't there.

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
Whoah, really does sound like Ready Lets Go was either sampled or modeled after that Zauner ending.

Eagle Minded
More Van Hoft influences, this can't be coincidence

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
Smallest weirdest number?!

Boqurant
Moz wrote:More Van Hoft influences, this can't be coincidence

phpBB [media]

Woah...I wonder how the brothers would feel about all this new information about the sources of songs and samples being discovered. The amount of stuff being revealed now is kind of astonishing after everything being shrouded in mystery for so long.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada