Sick Times: Coronavirus

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I've been watching with morbid interest as cases of the coronavirus (2019-nCoV, originating in the Wuhan Seafood Market from live animals) continue to spread across the world. As with many viruses (any with an R0 > 1.9) it exhibits an exponential growth pattern, with each infected person spreading the disease to 3-4 others on average. Adding in the fact that the virus is apparently contagious before carriers display symptoms, and that it emerged right on the verge of the Chinese lunar new year when millions were traveling to and from China and throughout all the provinces, we could really have an emerging global pandemic.

It's been almost exactly a century since the last massive global pandemic... maybe we're overdue.

Sources:

General info:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/29/coronav ... dates.html

Video showing severe conditions inside the Wuhan Red Cross hospital:

https://nypost.com/2020/01/24/coronavir ... -hospital/

Bird Flu, Swine Flu, SARS, etc....I think we'll be okay. The flu is still a lot more deadlier than this thing.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Sherbet Head
Probably exaggerated. Where was all of this fuss when ebola was eating through North Kivu last fall (and still today even) ? I'm not scared of coronavirus right now, I'm scared of how easily the public can be manipulated into panic whenever it might be profitable.

Eagle Minded
Its incredibly interesting to monitor the global situation, which is viable in this age. Makes people freak out too, as mentioned. Anything could take a turn for the worse . Here is a remarkable monitoring dashboard of the virus -- interesting to watch! I wish it had an age breakdown of the poor victims -- remember these are human beings -- but here I am curious about it all.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Sherbet Head
Interesting how there are cases all over the world, but still nothing in Tibet ?

Eagle Minded
Isolation? And for perhaps a learned good reason too.

Happy Cycler
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
mechanismj wrote:
phpBB [media]

Haha awesome! :lol:
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Sherbet Head
Well, that shit blew up to epic proportions jesus... :lol:

This will certainly be the end of the world as we know it, armageddon is upon us!
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Happy Cycler
I thought this thread might have been a bit more lively- I hope everyone is keeping well. I came down with it this afternoon and it is hitting me HARD. Absolute agony in my joints and temperature going crazy - I’m roasting hot but feel freezing (I think; maybe I feel hot - I’m not actually sure). Head totally fuzzy - it feels almost like a psychedelic experience.

If anyone is nursing a fever; let Lord Sabre guide you through it. This is beautiful....

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/55GNe ... NmNJSwmLRw

Dayvan Cowboy
Hope you come through unscathed Northern Soul. Community transmission has just been confirmed in my area and we're entering lockdown mode. My wife is working from home for the foreseeable future, though at this point I'm not yet. Both my bands have suspended practice as well.

I have a 6 month old so it was a major relief to learn it's not particularly dangerous for young kids. My main worry now is for my parents and older family members.

Interesting to look back just a month or two and see posts suggesting the concern might be exaggerated. I was hoping it wouldn't get to this point, but not optimistic. We were overdue for a serious pandemic. I just hope we come through better this time around than the 1918 flu pandemic.

Happy Cycler
A_Northern_Soul wrote:I thought this thread might have been a bit more lively- I hope everyone is keeping well. I came down with it this afternoon and it is hitting me HARD. Absolute agony in my joints and temperature going crazy - I’m roasting hot but feel freezing (I think; maybe I feel hot - I’m not actually sure). Head totally fuzzy - it feels almost like a psychedelic experience.

If anyone is nursing a fever; let Lord Sabre guide you through it. This is beautiful....

Yeah, I hope my initial light-heartedness about the subject does not offend anybody.

Hang in there!

Happy Cycler
A_Northern_Soul wrote:I thought this thread might have been a bit more lively- I hope everyone is keeping well. I came down with it this afternoon and it is hitting me HARD. Absolute agony in my joints and temperature going crazy - I’m roasting hot but feel freezing (I think; maybe I feel hot - I’m not actually sure). Head totally fuzzy - it feels almost like a psychedelic experience.

Shit mate! I hope you're ok. It's a very strange feeling in the air right now...
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Chalk up another case here. Joints on fire, temperature going crazy, difficulty breathing. Do try and not get this. It's miserable. It feels like the Yamazaki Flu that was going round the other year and the only saving grace with it right now is I don't have cold symptoms so I can breathe through my nose. Well, I'm immunosupressed for other things so I knew I was gonna get it, just gotta fight it now. Also chuckling a bit at the science on the survivability of it based on male/female (which they say seems to be down to hormone balance and it isn't fussy about where they hormones come from) so yeah dodged a bullet there lol. I'm worried about my mum though :/

Get well soon Megan. So sorry to hear you're poorly.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Fuckin'ell. Brings it home when two of our longest-standing members here are suffering. Wishing you both all the strength to fight it.

Sherbet Head
Here on my end they're closing every dining room of fast foods. I,ve had less than 10 customers in 4 hours yesterday. and my work shift today as been completely erased from the schedule.
Suck my BUTT

2020k wrote:Bird Flu, Swine Flu, SARS, etc....I think we'll be okay. The flu is still a lot more deadlier than this thing.

Wow this quote didn't age well.

Megan, feel better! Please keep us updated.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Happy Cycler
Thanks for the kind words everyone. This is honestly the most horrible illness I’ve ever been through; I’m into day 4 of symptoms now - frustratingly I spent yesterday afternoon thinking I was feeling better and being a lot more active, but by the time I went to bed last night I wound up doubled up on my kitchen floor struggling to breathe. I’ve now got all my initial symptoms back!

Do absolutely anything you can to avoid this guys and look out for vulnerable family members, friends and community members. I’m a fairly resilient and sturdy middle aged man who can usually shake things off quite quickly and this has knocked me for six..

Dayvan Cowboy
Yep thanks for the kind words everyone. Temperature seems back down to the low 38s today but my back is siezed up like I've been lifting concrete blocks. Two others in the house have both got it and I know it does this "you're getting better... Syke!" thing from them we're just helping each other out. Still short of breath and that worries me most, keep dreaming of drowning.

Next

Return to The Playground