Sick Times: Coronavirus

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
I shall continue to extend my hand to those who unfortunately go without due to hoarding during these times, supplies and all else. Best wishes to everyone.

All positivity to the very strong Megan!
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm OK! I'm looking forward to being able to go outside and lend a hand with deliveries and shit.

The hoarding thing is wild to see, we did OK for supplies without needing to, we had just enough frozen (from like way back), to get us through to a supermarket delivery, which bought us just enough time to restart cooking boxes and the local pizza place leaves deliveries outside the front door like it's a prisoner exchange. It's surreal because for all this is a huge disruption for everyone I've not actually been outside in March and the last time I went to the supermarket was well before shelves started running out. Only thing we ran out of was chocolate and paracetemol and a friend sent a box from up north with some panadol and a toblerone so we were good, even though we did it in the most middle-class way possible and unexpectedly had one more person quarantined with us than we meant to have. I've just been watching the absolute scenes on the news in disbelief.

What am I on now, I think day 10? My fever was on the 16th so assuming I make it through the next few days I've basically got away with it.

Sherbet Head
For those who are stuck at home thinking of any way you can possibly help find a vaccine for COVID-19, you can donate your computer's resources (CPU and GPU cycles) by downloading software from and joining Folding@Home. If you're familiar with the SETI@Home project, it works essentially the same by using distributed computing.

https://foldingathome.org/

We could even start a twoism team if enough people are interested.

Boris Johnson has contracted it. I'm trying to be a sensible, rational adult about this fact. The urge to snigger is palpable however.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm not in the UK but I identify. Sadly Trump tested negative (or so he says, at least).

Dayvan Cowboy
Negamuse wrote:I'm OK! I'm looking forward to being able to go outside and lend a hand with deliveries and shit.

The hoarding thing is wild to see, we did OK for supplies without needing to, we had just enough frozen (from like way back), to get us through to a supermarket delivery, which bought us just enough time to restart cooking boxes and the local pizza place leaves deliveries outside the front door like it's a prisoner exchange. It's surreal because for all this is a huge disruption for everyone I've not actually been outside in March and the last time I went to the supermarket was well before shelves started running out. Only thing we ran out of was chocolate and paracetemol and a friend sent a box from up north with some panadol and a toblerone so we were good, even though we did it in the most middle-class way possible and unexpectedly had one more person quarantined with us than we meant to have. I've just been watching the absolute scenes on the news in disbelief.

What am I on now, I think day 10? My fever was on the 16th so assuming I make it through the next few days I've basically got away with it.

Nice one, this might sound funny but are you relieved to 'get it over with', so to speak?
My wife's a doctor, others in her surgery have it and I reckon it's coming down the line for us and in a way I'm hoping it's sooner, before the shit really hits the fan here.
Shitting it a bit now, I'm not afraid to say, looking toward the next few weeks....

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah, there's no guarantee that it'll mean I'm immune to getting it again, and I was pretty resigned to getting it just because as soon as it looked like it was going to go everywhere, there was just no way I was going to be able to avoid it. So if I had to get it it was good to get it out of the way in case something went seriously wrong. I mean, it still might, I guess, if I get pneumonia. More than anything I'm just looking at how badly it can go wrong and counting my lucky stars that everyone I know whos had it has got off OK.

Sherbet Head
Our pretenses of reason have finally shattered. We are dense knots of entangled chaos and we are pulling each other into insanity. I'm considered an essential, so I'm still working, but I'm making less than half as much as the unemployed are getting for free. It seems like people are getting punished for working to keep society afloat. What a wonderful system.

Happy Cycler
The Coronavirus is bringing back the terrifying PSA.

phpBB [media]

Everyone who's had it on Twoism is accounted for and okay now?
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Both ANorthernSoul and Negamuse are alive. I've been chatting with both over the past few days.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Almost 3 weeks in and I'm just about back to normal. Still have a bit of a cough but not much to worry about; the only real lingering symptom now is tiredness - I just feel a bit more tired than usual. I went out for a walk on the 1st night I was allowed and it just knocked me for six; I wasn't ready, so i've just been taking it really easy. I'm working but from home and at a much reduced pace due to looking after the kids too. Mrs_A_Northern_Soul fell ill 5 days before me and she's back to full health now; so certainly from our experience (as two reasonably healthy and fit early 40-somethings) it was a 3 week illness - 1 week absolutely horrendous like nothing I've ever had before, one week on the mend but EXHAUSTED all the time, 1 week of almost back to normal. I'm very conscious that my household got off really lightly - the kids bounced back incredibly quickly.

Dayvan Cowboy

Happy Cycler
Glad all is well!

Unfortunately, my close friend's grandfather is now unresponsive and likely to pass away either today or early tomorrow morning. He's 96 and a D-Day vet. He photographed many Nazi atrocities on the Western Front in 44/45. Family aren't allowed to see him to say goodbye. Horrible.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Ah that's so horrible :( Condolences. This thing is such a fucking scary thing for the elderly.

Dayvan Cowboy
Here in the US, Trump is trying to force the country to lift social distancing guidelines WAY too early to minimize economic losses. He and other Republicans have also implied (and in some cases outright stated) that the elderly should be willing to die for the economy. Meanwhile there have actually been people who have died here after being refused care due to lack of insurance, and hospitals are so underequipped that nurses are actually being forced to re-use disposable masks, and even wearing garbage bags instead of gowns.

If it wasn't certain that this was a dystopia before, it certainly is now.

It's the same alt-right, pseudo-scientific eugenics horseshit over here too. The mask slipped long before the lockdown.

I also note that the usual libertarian snake-oil peddling weasles are conspicuous by their collective absence.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Villagers burning down the 5g masts because Amanda Holden reckons they're causing it to spread (ok Google, what is germ theory)

Burn the witch!

I'm talking metaphorically.
I'm not suggesting Amanda Holden is a witch or should be immolated.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I'll never forgive her for what she did to Les Dennis.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground