Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
By the way, here is a track from In Cahoots, another band Richard Sinclair was part of in the eighties.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bhrrwy3jv ... e.m4a/file

Take note of the fretless bass playing which sounds extremely similar to our elusive track. I suggest searching the 80s British Jazz Fusion scene for fretless bass players or even Richard Sinclair's discography himself.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:By the way, here is a track from In Cahoots, another band Richard Sinclair was part of in the eighties.

Take note of the fretless bass playing which sounds extremely similar to our elusive track. I suggest searching the 80s British Jazz Fusion scene for fretless bass players or even Richard Sinclair's discography himself.

Quite similar, yeah. I want to point out that there is some weird bump like a mic getting knocked around 1:03 in the fretless bass track. Maybe it's a demo or it is a band that doesn't have professional equipment to fix that.

Eagle Minded
Mansin wrote:
Echelon wrote:By the way, here is a track from In Cahoots, another band Richard Sinclair was part of in the eighties.

Quite similar, yeah. I want to point out that there is some weird bump like a mic getting knocked around 1:03 in the fretless bass track. Maybe it's a demo or it is a band that doesn't have professional equipment to fix that.

That's the exact sound you get when you hit a turntable.

Eagle Minded
I may have found something? Not the fretless bass track but the ambient synth one before it. It is a long song so there might be several parts of it which could be it.

https://youtu.be/NFe0cYvheqs?t=971

Tried some A/B comparison, track might need a bit pitching but everthing is here. Resonant bass tone, high synths. Could this be it? If not it's pretty damn close.

Eagle Minded
I think that's it.
Sounds like they've layered some of their own synth lines over it?

Happy Cycler
Moz wrote:I may have found something? Not the fretless bass track but the ambient synth one before it. It is a long song so there might be several parts of it which could be it.

https://youtu.be/NFe0cYvheqs?t=971

Tried some A/B comparison, track might need a bit pitching but everthing is here. Resonant bass tone, high synths. Could this be it? If not it's pretty damn close.

Oh man, that is VERY close! Good call on digging through the Skeleton Archives, too. Another good one.

Friendly Stranger
Perhaps someone could point me to a place where I can buy a high quality (lossless) version of The Selfkicker by Jasper van't Hof? I see that is hasn't been released on CD, only on vinyl.

Eagle Minded
Is there currently a canonical tracklist being maintained/updated anywhere of what we’ve uncovered so far?
preparation for a dive.

New Seed
tonx wrote:Is there currently a canonical tracklist being maintained/updated anywhere of what we’ve uncovered so far?

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Societas_x_Tape

Dayvan Cowboy
(related to BOC)
If it exists, Fredd-e has cataloged it.

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:(related to BOC)

Fredd-E has actually been completely inactive on bocpages except for posting on the facebook page occasionally. The Societas x Tape page was created by other people, and even though I've talked with him about how behind the wiki is, he still hasn't added it to the "news" on the main page even though it's nearly been a whole year! He's done a lot of good for the wiki but I do find this a bit frustrating when he's the only admin.

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:
Valotonin wrote:(related to BOC)

Fredd-E has actually been completely inactive on bocpages except for posting on the facebook page occasionally. The Societas x Tape page was created by other people, and even though I've talked with him about how behind the wiki is, he still hasn't added it to the "news" on the main page even though it's nearly been a whole year! He's done a lot of good for the wiki but I do find this a bit frustrating when he's the only admin.

I assumed it wasn't an actual release and that's why it wasn't on the front page. Maybe he was even shading Societas because it was disappointing after 6 years only to get a mixtape of non BOC music despite being great and fascinating in and of itself.

Just a theory.

Dayvan Cowboy
I hadn't actually been checking the bocpages in relation to societas x.
I only assumed that as the page there had been referenced so much, Fredd-e was playing a large part. Slightly worrying to see that he hasn't had much involvement. hmm. I hope all is well.

I shouldn't say things based purely on my assumptions in future.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:I hadn't actually been checking the bocpages in relation to societas x.
I only assumed that as the page there had been referenced so much, Fredd-e was playing a large part. Slightly worrying to see that he hasn't had much involvement. hmm. I hope all is well.

I shouldn't say things based purely on my assumptions in future.

Honestly, I think he, like everyone else, is in the dark with BOC and doesn't know what the future holds. Probably doesn't know if he should even believe they are coming out with something. I notice he doesn't come on here anymore and post.

This might be the darkest moment in BOC's history. Where we do not know if things will continue or if they have already said goodbye.

Dayvan Cowboy
^ saddening, but I am ever optimistic. If there would be a piano in the care home, I think they would still be making music into their late 90s.

Wake me up when Kevin Shields admits to making that short interlude for the tape that hasn't been identified yet.

Dayvan Cowboy
This is what one would expect if they were winding down in terms of their musical output, though. It would never be a definite point in time where they announce or it becomes clear that they have stopped, but rather a decrease in output over time. What I can imagine is frustrating for quite a few fans is that one can't always tell the difference between silence of a good nature and of a worrying nature. Are they hard at work?

Happy Cycler
Getting a little dark in here.

*Opens a curtain*

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:^ saddening, but I am ever optimistic. If there would be a piano in the care home, I think they would still be making music into their late 90s.

Wake me up when Kevin Shields admits to making that short interlude for the tape that hasn't been identified yet.

Maybe it's from Kevin Shield's new EP. The one he teased and said was coming out in 2019 and then never released it.

BOC and MBV now seem to operate in a very similar fashion. They also both have completely blank websites. I feel that if MBV does something again, maybe BOC might too.

Dayvan Cowboy
^ Yes! Thank you for reminding me of that. A few days ago I was checking their website and the usual searches to see if there had been any trace of an interview with Kevin etc. whilst noticing that their website had been entirely blank for a little while which is, in this world, something interesting and potentially signals a blank slate on which they will be writing something.

The EP has been being teased since MBV's 2013 album was released, believe it or not!

As the last time around, the MBV and BOC releases coincided within the same year, maybe the same will ring true this time. It was a dream come true last time, new MBV and BOC within months of eachother. It was surreal.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:^ Yes! Thank you for reminding me of that. A few days ago I was checking their website and the usual searches to see if there had been any trace of an interview with Kevin etc. whilst noticing that their website had been entirely blank for a little while which is, in this world, something interesting and potentially signals a blank slate on which they will be writing something.

The EP has been being teased since MBV's 2013 album was released, believe it or not!

As the last time around, the MBV and BOC releases coincided within the same year, maybe the same will ring true this time. It was a dream come true last time, new MBV and BOC within months of eachother. It was surreal.

I wonder how long that website was blank! Nothing but a psychedelic picture of a guitar. It's like all those other sites by BOC which are just black screens.

That would be amazing if BOC actually teased a new MBV EP with Societas. Since people have noted that it's very similar to Olson, (and Echus too actually) maybe there's a collab in the works. Unlike the Bowie collab both parties still operate on the same plane of existence :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada