GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:
sixtyniner wrote:I suggest people stop getting excited at anything their social media posts or likes unless it's an actual announcement or message.

What do you make of them liking posts that mention new albums? Is that a Warp employee too?

Honestly, I think it would be messed up if a Warp employee was liking posts mentioning a new album if BOC had no intention of actually making a new album.
There’s no doubt that they are making a new record, only question is WHEN? Imo the likes only hint that something is in the works, but nothing is guaranteed to be happening remotely soon.

I certainly hope to eat those words soon enough though!

Sherbet Head
There should be a release within the next year.. not only myself but a fellow twoismer remembers an interview or a comment from either mdg or the brothers themselves that the wait for a new album after TH would be less than the wait between TCH and TH. So 8 years or less. We are on year 7..

But yeah probably not

New Seed
I guess one thing to consider is that they used several forms of media to promote TH. While likes and posts may not mean anything themselves, the fact that they are more active could be a precursor to another promotional campaign.

Posts Quantity
The fact that they pretty much never use Instagram for promo, and after years of promoting fan-made videos a certain way, this has me thinking there's more to it.

Not sure what to make of it exactly, but this seems deliberate beyond just letting everyone know about a fan-made video...

Posts Quantity
BOCalm down folks... B :wink: C just liked:

https://twitter.com/Beathhigh/status/12 ... 9430660096

Posts Quantity
LofiJunky wrote:I guess one thing to consider is that they used several forms of media to promote TH. While likes and posts may not mean anything themselves, the fact that they are more active could be a precursor to another promotional campaign.

Only as part of an ARG. What they posted on Instagram is not anything mysterious or any kind of hint towards an ARG, it's just something they've already been doing for years - recognising the community videos. The only difference now is the medium, it would literally just be a link to a youtube video if this was posted on twitter instead and probably no one would get as excited. If social media activity is any kind of precursor, it's a very inaccurate one as it's so sporadic and every time people theorise that "this means something" when it's probably just random social media activity from a Warp employee and it turns out a few months later it meant nothing at all, it's sort of setting yourself up for disappointment. So imho I really doubt this social media activity tells us anything substantial when we don't even know who manages it. We all should know there's a very good chance that a new album is coming, I'm sure making music is still important to them and they've said that they have no intention of stopping.

Boqurant
it seems unlikely to me that BoC would be very measured about their albums, interviews, marketing etc. and then for social media hand it over to warp and say "go ahead and like whatever you want"

Boqurant
Well I bet there is gonna happen something special when their twitter hits 70 tweets.

Friendly Stranger
Or they might just like the fact that people like the idea of a new album. Simple as that.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

Friendly Stranger
Or they might just like the fact that people like the idea of a new album. Simple as that.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

New Seed
When have they ever "liked" a statement about a new album? How many times have people said they want new music? It seems like lottery chances - out of thousands of statements like gimme my music and then this out of haystack, just doesn't seem random. But who knows... hype train, next stop Bonneville
K is silent

New Seed
*Bonkersville... Autocorrect and hidden meanings...
K is silent

Eagle Minded
I do some social media management work and I think this is likely an engagement test to see if it is worth continuing to update their Instagram page. The pages first and only other post was made a year ago for WXAXRXP, which I believe was done solely as a requirement for all the artists who took part in the NTS stream. I wouldn't be surprised if "update BOC instagram to gage interest in account" was on the to do list at warp, and they just got around to it now. It's become less important/crucial for artists and some brands to be on every single social media platform lately and figuring out the actually beneficial ones would be helpful in general for a variety of reasons. While most of these reasons are pretty broad, a big one is advertising. Would it be worth putting a large amount of money into ad spaces on Instagram if there was a new BOC album to promote? Are there Instagram users who would interact with a BOC advert?
With that said, I wouldn't say this explicitly points towards anything coming soon. They have their data, now it's up to them to figure out what to do with it.

Happy Cycler
Mansin wrote:Well I bet there is gonna happen something special when their twitter hits 70 tweets.

If BoC were the type of band who based their musical output on social media milestones, there is no way they would be as good as they are, and no way I would have any interest in listening to them.

The whole social media thing is so antithetical to their ethos anyway. It is undoubtedly, more often than not, curated by the fine folks at Warp Records.

Dayvan Cowboy
Love BOC. Love people in here. BOC is my favorite electronic music act. Tho, there's a catch. They could actually take some inspiration from Bibio. The guy just keep releasing the new music. I think it's great.

Eagle Minded
Don't think they need to gauge or monitor anything on social media to know that whenever they release anything with their name on it, it's gonna sell like hotcakes no matter what.

I don't think the brothers care about sales figures, but WARP obviously does.

Sherbet Head
They have def liked tweets asking about a new album before.
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Sherbet Head
I don't believe for a second that the brothers are hands-on with the @boctransmission account. Seems to me that these likes are gentle nudges from Warp's socials team along the lines of 'hey, see these fans? they keep asking for a new album and the label's accountants agree'

Dayvan Cowboy
luminousdusk wrote:There should be a release within the next year.. not only myself but a fellow twoismer remembers an interview or a comment from either mdg or the brothers themselves that the wait for a new album after TH would be less than the wait between TCH and TH. So 8 years or less. We are on year 7..

But yeah probably not

I spoke to Joyrex concerning this and he posted the email/PM where MDG said that. Unless he was pranking which I don't think he was considering he told the whole WATMM forum when he received that message.

Still not sure if the time really is going to be shorter between releases since it basically is the same length of time now.

I think that recent like is a very good sign about a future release. They liked a guy who wasn't even beating around the bush, he simply said "I want a new album" and they liked it. You can't get more obvious than that.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
They've liked so many posts about new music. They've been doing it for years. As far as I'm concerned it means "we like that you want a new album! Too bad it's not going to happen. :)"

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada