Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

sixtyniner wrote:
Valotonin wrote:(related to BOC)
If it exists, Fredd-e has cataloged it.

Fredd-E has actually been completely inactive on bocpages except for posting on the facebook page occasionally. The Societas x Tape page was created by other people, and even though I've talked with him about how behind the wiki is, he still hasn't added it to the "news" on the main page even though it's nearly been a whole year! He's done a lot of good for the wiki but I do find this a bit frustrating when he's the only admin.

Well life can be frustrating sometimes. bocpages is still my baby and I‘ve kept it running since 2005 and plan on keeping so for the foreseeable future. Other than that it’s low priority for me now due to life in general and personal stuff. But sometimes I like to post something on the Facebook page. Thanks for understanding.

Dayvan Cowboy
We do, and thank you for everything you have done and continue to do for the community, Fredd-e.

Eagle Minded
It doesn't say on bocpages, but the track after Jardim De Prazares is "Whispered Song" by Burundi Musiques Traditionnelles.

Eagle Minded
Sorry, I misunderstood completely.

Dayvan Cowboy
You know that platform that the band are standing on in the picture (Cement, Gravel, Rock) from Disney Land used, that entire thing disappears into the ground. It has some kind of plant feature on top. I think the band, using Disney's interconnected series of staff tunnels under the park, literally appear from the ground and start playing. I can imagine that is pretty special/magical for the youngsters.

Eagle Minded
Has anyone went through the Bosworth Backgrounds library in search for the fretless track? I've heard some stuff by them and it sounds really similar.

Eagle Minded
Especially the work of Anthony Mawer.

Happy Cycler
bungler666 wrote:Especially the work of Anthony Mawer.

I have done a little digging through Bosworth before. I will take another dive today.

Eagle Minded
I'm still floored by this mix, Billy Miller is a masterpiece of production! That keyboard solo that sounds like it morphs into a racing car/jet taking off but the sound of it drifting away, totally fucking mindblowing! Colourbox as well, I really needed that song at the time, love mixes that tell a story and intertwine with each song/track perfectly. They need a few more of these broadcasts the lazy louts! :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
The anniversary of this tape (along with WXAXRXP itself) are coming up soon. Looking back, I quickly went from disappointed to treating this radio show as a secondary part of the band's canon.

It was not only a treat because it introduced us to so much great music, but it also showed a lot of esoteric finds the brothers have made over the years. I imagine this stuff as the stuff they found when they were blindly picking out records and cassettes as kids. Even if this was simply something Warp required of them, I can definitely tell that this music is important to them and their art.

So while it wasn't new music, it was a nice peek "under the hood" of their work.

My friend calls this their end credits, however. I guess we'll see.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:The anniversary of this tape (along with WXAXRXP itself) are coming up soon. Looking back, I quickly went from disappointed to treating this radio show as a secondary part of the band's canon.

It was not only a treat because it introduced us to so much great music, but it also showed a lot of esoteric finds the brothers have made over the years. I imagine this stuff as the stuff they found when they were blindly picking out records and cassettes as kids. Even if this was simply something Warp required of them, I can definitely tell that this music is important to them and their art.

So while it wasn't new music, it was a nice peek "under the hood" of their work.

My friend calls this their end credits, however. I guess we'll see.

Very well said, Echelon. Weird to think it's almost a year old at this point, I guess digesting Societas X really made me numb to the passage of time :lol:

If this ends up being their "end credits" (which I personally doubt), it's a great and fitting end. It's like they're passing down their findings throughout their years onto us with the hopes we can find hidden and obscure music just like they did. One of my favorite things about them is the respect they have for their audience and I feel like Societas wasn't just a job for WARP, but a kind gesture to us as a thank you for all those years.

Dayvan Cowboy
~nick wrote: It's like they're passing down their findings throughout their years onto us with the hopes we can find hidden and obscure music just like they did.

I've actually become jealous of their music taste, but in a good way. It's inspired me to get a lot more esoteric and weirder with my music finds. I now want to find artists who try to write songs and music that others have never wrote before with oddball chord changes and unique production

After all, it's those qualities that make BOC one of my all time favorites! :D
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
I just had my hard disk crash on me. No backups because I'm kind of an idiot. It had all my MP3s on it and most of my own unreleased music going back to the early 90s. And I was just thinking about whether I cared enough to go back and pay a recovery firm to dump what they can off it and I thought you know what, I listen to the same albums all the time, I need to broaden what I listen to, what I MAKE even. So I've just been letting Spotify play and even better than that, Bandcamp, so many hidden gems on Bandcamp. Youtube channels like Sonne Immage, 11db11 and rare groove playlists... it's been pretty eye opening.

Happy Cycler
I'm so sorry M.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Boqurant
well, happy one year anniversary SXT!

New Seed
broke wrote:well, happy one year anniversary SXT!

Not sure about anyone else, but somehow it feels both longer and shorter than a year since SXT was released.

broke wrote:well, happy one year anniversary SXT!

That's insane. 365 days? Bloody hell that's gone quick.

Slow down...

Boqurant
For those who like "Sinking Ships - Strangers", you're in luck! I've had conversations with Terry Welbourn, the bassist and vocalist, and they are going to release a remastered 12" on vinyl later this year. The tracklist will be:

SIDE A:
Strangers
Lifetime
Speak To Me
The Cinema Clock
Dream
The Runner

SIDE B:
Ghosts
Everything
After The Rain
Leaving Home
The Romance
Last Words

Eagle Minded
Oh, did he say when? Fall, winter?
I'll make sure to pick that up.

New Seed
So much amazing artists on this list, i am just listening to Heldon....wow, superb

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada