GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:So I'd say - stay calm because they have many hidden stuff that can be released any day, that's one difference from other bands, second - if there's something out, it will be (and must be) another original gem sounding like nothing before...

Exactly how I feel. You have to keep csilence before saying something.

The thing is that, nobody here knows for sure. But at the same time, someone here knows something.... Like someone said, you just feel the BOC in the air right now. But you can only guess.
:)

Dayvan Cowboy
I think the two things that work against BOC releasing things are 1) Their perfectionist tendencies and 2) Their quality control.

It's pretty clear that if they're making something, it's something that's going to fit solidly into their established canon. The only time I feel they ever tossed something off was Trans Canada Highway and that is definitely the weakest thing they released from the classic era 1995-2006.

I think one reason why I like BOC so much is because they really don't do toss-off albums. Compare them to my other favorite Warp artist Bibio where you can tell he has a bit of a quality control issue. For every Ambivalence Avenue and Ribbons you get a Mineral Love or Mind Bokeh. (No offense to people who like those albums, btw, to me they just seem to be dumping grounds for experiments or filler among good tracks.)

But then again, I'm really happy to be getting a new Bibio album this year and I wish I could say the same for his endorsers. Sleep on the Wing already sounds like it's going to be a friendly pat on the shoulder in an insane year.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

I expected Warp to fly into Hexagon Sun with a vile of Coronavirus and threaten to unleash it in their studio if they didn't release a record or EP during this time. The mood is perfect for them. We're basically living out Tomorrow's Harvest IRL.

I'm honestly so surprised we haven't had a muttering from them.

At first, I wondered if they didn't want to put it out right now because of how delicate the economic world is right now, but came to the conclusion that the band and the label know BOC listeners are fiercely loyal and if someone had to pirate it, they'd go snatch up a CD or vinyl when they were financially able.

Heck, even the logistics of getting physicals pressed wouldn't stand in their way if you look at how Fiona Apple (who is just as reclusive between album cycles as BOC, she hadn't released since 2012) pushed her label to put out the digital-only release of her record, months ahead of when it was originally scheduled. Her label just put up a store where fans could buy physicals and let them know it'd be shipping out later in the year. It's all doable.

Now, I'm with the rest of everyone in thinking it's just that whatever they've been working on still isn't finished. I work slow too. I get it. But, I want ittttttt.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:I expected Warp to fly into Hexagon Sun with a vile of Coronavirus and threaten to unleash it in their studio if they didn't release a record or EP during this time. The mood is perfect for them. We're basically living out Tomorrow's Harvest IRL.

I'm honestly so surprised we haven't had a muttering from them.

At first, I wondered if they didn't want to put it out right now because of how delicate the economic world is right now, but came to the conclusion that the band and the label know BOC listeners are fiercely loyal and if someone had to pirate it, they'd go snatch up a CD or vinyl when they were financially able.

Heck, even the logistics of getting physicals pressed wouldn't stand in their way if you look at how Fiona Apple (who is just as reclusive between album cycles as BOC, she hadn't released since 2012) pushed her label to put out the digital-only release of her record, months ahead of when it was originally scheduled. Her label just put up a store where fans could buy physicals and let them know it'd be shipping out later in the year. It's all doable.

Now, I'm with the rest of everyone in thinking it's just that whatever they've been working on still isn't finished. I work slow too. I get it. But, I want ittttttt.

I'm still thinking how nice it would be to get the Bocset during these times. It would be a dream come true getting to spend my hours in quarantine digging through some unreleased marvels from all different eras. Imagine getting to hear the history of BOC but through entirely new tracks; everything from 80s PSA style MHTRTC tracks to trippy to sinister Geogaddi tracks to laid back acoustic Headphase tracks.

I actually sent Warp an email (I didn't expect them to respond but I did want them to read it) how nice it would be to get a BOC release during these times. It wasn't a demand, more like "wouldn't this be nice" :wink:

I've reached the level of boredom to where I opened this thread, went back to the first days of the pandemic, and just read through everything. Through it, I thought about sending Warp an email as well, but only to ask them if they could give us any information. They can't, so the attempt to contact them seems more self-serving than it is anything else, but it was a thought.

Even during an album cycle, they're unhelpful aside from mass emailed press releases. When I was reporting on the Tomorrow's Harvest campaign I was getting my sources from everyone but Warp, so they're very tight-lipped about the band. I'd leave them alone. I'm sure they're busy.

That being said, the thing I loved most about scouring the pages was that Warp is doing a weekly mixtape and http://wacocult.tripod.com/visit.html this.

Someone reminded me too that Mike and Marcus have lives outside of the band too. It's something I always think about, but I'm sure what they do day to day has been affected by the pandemic as well and they've had to adjust. When this all started it took me a month and a half to even think about opening a DAW between changes in my employment (working from home) and being exhausted by asinine conspiracy theorists and the president.

All this being said, I still want the album :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:I've reached the level of boredom to where I opened this thread, went back to the first days of the pandemic, and just read through everything. Through it, I thought about sending Warp an email as well, but only to ask them if they could give us any information. They can't, so the attempt to contact them seems more self-serving than it is anything else, but it was a thought.

Even during an album cycle, they're unhelpful aside from mass emailed press releases. When I was reporting on the Tomorrow's Harvest campaign I was getting my sources from everyone but Warp, so they're very tight-lipped about the band. I'd leave them alone. I'm sure they're busy.

That being said, the thing I loved most about scouring the pages was that Warp is doing a weekly mixtape and http://wacocult.tripod.com/visit.html this.

Someone reminded me too that Mike and Marcus have lives outside of the band too. It's something I always think about, but I'm sure what they do day to day has been affected by the pandemic as well and they've had to adjust. When this all started it took me a month and a half to even think about opening a DAW between changes in my employment (working from home) and being exhausted by asinine conspiracy theorists and the president.

All this being said, I still want the album :lol:

Yeah with Warp, I didn't expect a response. I was just letting them know I was interested in future releases. I made sure to phrase it that way too. I also did so because I was pretty scared at the time (a few months ago) about how the world was going and wanted nothing more than to hear from BOC again. No harm intended whatsoever and I made sure not to cross any lines.

I've been paying close intention to the weekly mixtape btw. They had a warp artist choose it last week. I'm hoping they somehow manage to get BOC to choose the selection. That would be awesome. A second Societas and maybe this time a hint at the future!

Eagle Minded
I have Facebook so I'm writing a comment on their latest post to let them know it would make me very happy to hear something. Surely won't accomplish much but it can't hurt either. If you want you can join and post when you read this.

Dayvan Cowboy
Radiobuzz wrote:I have Facebook so I'm writing a comment on their latest post to let them know it would make me very happy to hear something. Surely won't accomplish much but it can't hurt either. If you want you can join and post when you read this.

If you're not joking, Twitter's probably the best place for them to see that. They usually like stuff regarding new albums. They haven't done it in a while but I feel whenever they (or MDG, or the warp intern) log on they might see it and like it.

...Then log off for three months again.

Eh. I sent out a transmission. What's a little positive energy into the atmosphere?

Dayvan Cowboy
No Warp Earth Tape so far this week. Did they give up on it already or are they busy wrangling the Sandison bros to make one for their starved fans? :P

Sherbet Head
Echelon wrote:No Warp Earth Tape so far this week. Did they give up on it already or are they busy wrangling the Sandison bros to make one for their starved fans? :P

wouldn't
Spoiler: show
you like to be free?
that be nice

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:I'm honestly so surprised we haven't had a muttering from them.

Btw, this is aggravating, but I hope that there's something up their sleeve that they're finishing. The reason I don't speak more angrily about them is because I feel I'm probably going to eat my words later this year if I do.

Sherbet Head
I want Echelon to get a YouTube channel and give us daily updates on the new BoC album. Kind of like how David Lynch gives a daily weather report on his channel, but instead Echelon checks boardsofcanada.com and just says, "Nope. Nothing today". This would be a repetitive and boring thing to watch *until* something happens -- and when something does happen -- I know I wouldn't want to miss seeing the reaction. :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:I want Echelon to get a YouTube channel and give us daily updates on the new BoC album. Kind of like how David Lynch gives a daily weather report on his channel, but instead Echelon checks boardsofcanada.com and just says, "Nope. Nothing today". This would be a repetitive and boring thing to watch *until* something happens -- and when something does happen -- I know I wouldn't want to miss seeing the reaction. :D

Haha tbh, I think being cooped up during the outbreak made a habit out of this. Now I check things out with my morning coffee and probably post something before I get on with my day.

But honestly, if I actually went through with your plan, this page would probably use a gif of me reacting to actual news in place of the Ron Paul gif :lol:

Sherbet Head
Haha tbh, I think being cooped up during the outbreak made a habit out of this. Now I check things out with my morning coffee and probably post something before I get on with my day.

But honestly, if I actually went through with your plan, this page would probably use a gif of me reacting to actual news in place of the Ron Paul gif :lol:

A lot of us are habitually checking the Internets for any sign of something happening. There's no shame in that. And it's time to retire the Ron Paul gif and replace it with something better. This is why I think you should really consider going for it. :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:I want Echelon to get a YouTube channel and give us daily updates on the new BoC album. Kind of like how David Lynch gives a daily weather report on his channel, but instead Echelon checks boardsofcanada.com and just says, "Nope. Nothing today". This would be a repetitive and boring thing to watch *until* something happens -- and when something does happen -- I know I wouldn't want to miss seeing the reaction. :D

haha, funny idea. I'm in!

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:

A lot of us are habitually checking the Internets for any sign of something happening. There's no shame in that. And it's time to retire the Ron Paul gif and replace it with something better. This is why I think you should really consider going for it. :)

I've certainly got enough time on my hands.

You know what, just because I know the end result would be funny, I'm in.

I'll start planning this out and see if I can add anything else to it that would make it more interesting

Sherbet Head
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:rare sighting of the boys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82BeEVcIPg

:lol: I needed that. It was like the IT Crowd did a sketch on Boards of Canada

Echelon, start the YouTube channel.

I had a dream last night that I met Mike and Marcus. They said they'd never put out another BOC record again because it didn't give them enough money to help anyone anymore, so they wanted to stick to day jobs. Made me sad.

For the record, this is also the first BOC dream I've ever had, whereas I feel like everyone in this thread has probably had a premonition or five in Dreamland about the album if I look back far enough in this thread ;)

The dream is probably my own subconscious' projection of an article I read a few days ago where an employee with a big venue said "artists are just going to have to get used to not getting paid as much anymore" because the pandemic has shut down the only money maker musicians have in the 21st century...shows.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada