GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
Or they might just like the fact that people like the idea of a new album. Simple as that.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

New Seed
When have they ever "liked" a statement about a new album? How many times have people said they want new music? It seems like lottery chances - out of thousands of statements like gimme my music and then this out of haystack, just doesn't seem random. But who knows... hype train, next stop Bonneville
K is silent

New Seed
*Bonkersville... Autocorrect and hidden meanings...
K is silent

Eagle Minded
I do some social media management work and I think this is likely an engagement test to see if it is worth continuing to update their Instagram page. The pages first and only other post was made a year ago for WXAXRXP, which I believe was done solely as a requirement for all the artists who took part in the NTS stream. I wouldn't be surprised if "update BOC instagram to gage interest in account" was on the to do list at warp, and they just got around to it now. It's become less important/crucial for artists and some brands to be on every single social media platform lately and figuring out the actually beneficial ones would be helpful in general for a variety of reasons. While most of these reasons are pretty broad, a big one is advertising. Would it be worth putting a large amount of money into ad spaces on Instagram if there was a new BOC album to promote? Are there Instagram users who would interact with a BOC advert?
With that said, I wouldn't say this explicitly points towards anything coming soon. They have their data, now it's up to them to figure out what to do with it.

Happy Cycler
Mansin wrote:Well I bet there is gonna happen something special when their twitter hits 70 tweets.

If BoC were the type of band who based their musical output on social media milestones, there is no way they would be as good as they are, and no way I would have any interest in listening to them.

The whole social media thing is so antithetical to their ethos anyway. It is undoubtedly, more often than not, curated by the fine folks at Warp Records.

Dayvan Cowboy
Love BOC. Love people in here. BOC is my favorite electronic music act. Tho, there's a catch. They could actually take some inspiration from Bibio. The guy just keep releasing the new music. I think it's great.

Eagle Minded
Don't think they need to gauge or monitor anything on social media to know that whenever they release anything with their name on it, it's gonna sell like hotcakes no matter what.

I don't think the brothers care about sales figures, but WARP obviously does.

Sherbet Head
They have def liked tweets asking about a new album before.
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Sherbet Head
I don't believe for a second that the brothers are hands-on with the @boctransmission account. Seems to me that these likes are gentle nudges from Warp's socials team along the lines of 'hey, see these fans? they keep asking for a new album and the label's accountants agree'

Dayvan Cowboy
luminousdusk wrote:There should be a release within the next year.. not only myself but a fellow twoismer remembers an interview or a comment from either mdg or the brothers themselves that the wait for a new album after TH would be less than the wait between TCH and TH. So 8 years or less. We are on year 7..

But yeah probably not

I spoke to Joyrex concerning this and he posted the email/PM where MDG said that. Unless he was pranking which I don't think he was considering he told the whole WATMM forum when he received that message.

Still not sure if the time really is going to be shorter between releases since it basically is the same length of time now.

I think that recent like is a very good sign about a future release. They liked a guy who wasn't even beating around the bush, he simply said "I want a new album" and they liked it. You can't get more obvious than that.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
They've liked so many posts about new music. They've been doing it for years. As far as I'm concerned it means "we like that you want a new album! Too bad it's not going to happen. :)"

Nottoolate wrote:I do some social media management work and I think this is likely an engagement test to see if it is worth continuing to update their Instagram page. The pages first and only other post was made a year ago for WXAXRXP, which I believe was done solely as a requirement for all the artists who took part in the NTS stream. I wouldn't be surprised if "update BOC instagram to gage interest in account" was on the to do list at warp, and they just got around to it now. It's become less important/crucial for artists and some brands to be on every single social media platform lately and figuring out the actually beneficial ones would be helpful in general for a variety of reasons. While most of these reasons are pretty broad, a big one is advertising. Would it be worth putting a large amount of money into ad spaces on Instagram if there was a new BOC album to promote? Are there Instagram users who would interact with a BOC advert?
With that said, I wouldn't say this explicitly points towards anything coming soon. They have their data, now it's up to them to figure out what to do with it.

What do you say about the posts they like on Twitter?

Are they just liking them because they genuinely like them or hinting? Is it Warp? Because some of these tweets about wanting a new album are being liked and...

I ran a social media account for something like Red Bubble and would have never liked tweets hinting at something like that unless it was about to happen and/or far enough along in the works.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:
I ran a social media account for something like Red Bubble and would have never liked tweets hinting at something like that unless it was about to happen and/or far enough along in the works.

This. Warp is a professional company and they take themselves more seriously than any record company I've ever seen. What would they get out of yanking people's chains about a new BOC album? Sure there would be laughs to be had about it but everyone always reacts the same way and surely the joke would get tiring after 4 years of doing it.

Unless proven otherwise, I think this might be their way of telling us of future plans. After all, it's a lot easier than having MDG keep telling us something's coming and getting yelled at by naysayers. People constantly told him he was wrong about a new record from 2007 to 2013 and sure enough we got one.

Eagle Minded
They probably 'like' messages because 'they' feel like it and it's not meaningful in any way, shape or form. Who's gonna check the likes ratio on their respective social media accounts outside of a few peeps from Twoism anyway?

Eagle Minded
Moloch wrote:Who's gonna check the likes ratio on their respective social media accounts outside of a few peeps from Twoism anyway?

So you're implying the world doesn't revolve around this community? How dare you!

Eagle Minded
Twoist wrote:Seems to me that these likes are gentle nudges from Warp's socials team along the lines of 'hey, see these fans? they keep asking for a new album and the label's accountants agree'
This is kinda what I meant, I forgot to explicitly say it but I doubt BOC has anything to do with personally managing their Instagram account and that Warp is in control here, at least for now

2020k wrote:What do you say about the posts they like on Twitter?

Are they just liking them because they genuinely like them or hinting? Is it Warp? Because some of these tweets about wanting a new album are being liked and...

I could be completely wrong but I feel like the brothers have a little more control with their Twitter, especially after seeing the Bowie tweet. Liking tweets about new music feels like an easy way to keep fans interested without contractually giving anything away that Warp might not want getting out yet. I'll admit band/musican PR/SMM is a vastly different world I myself still don't completely get lol

Moloch wrote:Don't think they need to gauge or monitor anything on social media to know that whenever they release anything with their name on it, it's gonna sell like hotcakes no matter what.

I don't think the brothers care about sales figures, but WARP obviously does.
A new BOC record would undoubtedly do well even without Instagram marketing, but it can't hurt to sink a little money into pushing it if Warp thinks a platform that's never been used to promote an album of theirs before is worth utilizing

Anyway yeah all speculative of course but I don't think it's too crazy to think that Warp is just feeling things out right now. Of course ultimately hoping all of this means something is coming :]

Posts Quantity
Apparently Bleep is restocking on the green two boys and full logo tees too. Didn't know they were out of stock.
Let's hope that means the Warp marketing guys are also working on other BOC-related stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
BOC: "I'm shocked every time someone tells us our previous record is eight years old, it feels like a lot less than that, cause we've been very busy with things that's not of any business of the outside world."

Deja vu! XD

Friendly Stranger
Always the chance that the brothers and Ian Rankin know each other/or at least have cross paths at some point. Both used to live in Edinburgh (Rankin still does), and pretty sure they would have frequented a couple of the same pubs (given where they used they both used to be based).

Dayvan Cowboy
Stu808 wrote:Always the chance that the brothers and Ian Rankin know each other/or at least have cross paths at some point. Both used to live in Edinburgh (Rankin still does), and pretty sure they would have frequented a couple of the same pubs (given where they used they both used to be based).

Sorry for posting again so soon, (and thus pissing off that one guy) but who is Ian Rankin? I noticed the check mark next to his name and it made me wonder, should his message be considered even more important than a regular fan asking about a new album?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada