TR01 The Weathermonger - The Ephemeral City [2018]

WE DON'T BЯAINWASH

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Okay, I haven't posted here in a hot minute - I love this, I love the melodies / progressions / mixing / etc.. But, I'm a little bit confused, is this not a bit too much self-promotion? This is music from admins and seniors of this forum, this isn't exactly original Boards of Canada music, so does it belong in this thread? Again, it probably doesn't really matter at all and I'm in no way casting any stone against the artists involved I'm just sincerely confused about it.

A major gripe I have is that it sounds a lot like BoC, so is it right to make something so self similar and then promote it through the thread? I hope this is understood to not be insulting but more an inquiry. I have distanced myself from this website for the better part of a year and a half because I saw a personally frustrating trend of artists replicating BoC, so maybe I have a rusty and dated take on this but I am genuinely curious.

Again, I still rly like it. Even though I'm rly nitpicky about synth sounds..

*haters commence*
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Dayvan Cowboy
Nevermind, I understand that it's promoted on every part of the forum. Let me die from embarrassment in the corner in the meantime, Bye.

I still love the tunes on it tho
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Dayvan Cowboy
I think it's an interesting debate to have - where the line is between replicating another artist and having them as an influence? Obviously, BoC are major influence on the sound of the album. I have an emotional connection to those kind of synth sounds and general ambience and, if I think about it, I've had that connection long before I ever heard BoC. It's there in the post-rock and shoegaze of my youth. I could just as easily cite MBV and Seefeel as major influences too. They were really what lead me to BoC (alongside early Autechre and SAW-era Aphex).

For what it's worth, I deliberately steered clear of things like sampled children and tape degradation effects precisely because those really are the things that I feel step too closely to mimicking BoC. In terms of synth sounds I think there's more of a Vangelis/John Carpenter thing going on, with a bit of Amber-era Autechre. Of course, it's all very subjective. :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Okay. It's been two years now. Should we let this reside in the general threads of the Twoism Records sub-forum? It feels a bit weird to have it at the top of every listing when it's far from "new" news. :)

Sure, if I can remember how to unsticky the thread.

Shuffles off the read mod manual again....

Slow down...

Site Admin
LOL. Me stealthy unstick-ed it globally and moved it this morning already :D
It now only is sticky in the Twoism Records section.
Life is a Frequency

Sherbet Head
It's already been 2 years? god damn!
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
Thing with this album. I discovered I've been listening to it in entirely the wrong order cos the memory stick I have it on in the car occasionally just scrambles track orders. Blew my mind when I redownloaded it.

Happy Cycler
Anyone was ever so concerned Redpoint got a couple years of promotion? Really?
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Sherbet Head
Should have grabbed a cassette when it was possible. Anyone selling their cassette version? :mrgreen:

No?

Yeah i thought so too ...
Suck my BUTT

Previous

Return to Twoism Records