GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Navaru wrote:Be pretty neat if they’ve been using over shortwave to broadcast stuff and no one has found it yet.

Yeah, I think they were ahead of a lot of musicians on using numbers stations in their music because they were scanning the shortwave bands before the Conet Project was a thing. Broadcasting stuff, too, I imagine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Drumshalloch wrote:Hey y'all, long time lurker, etc etc

I kind of wonder if the new found use of social media is just them keeping up with their kids - we know they have families, and its so possible the kids are now teenagers, who spend all their lives glued to phones, Fortnite, and the rest. I can just see M+M getting sucked into it all (and it's a way different place from the quoted MySpace), maybe by way of making personal social accounts to keep tabs on the kids, find that it's not allllll bad, and jumping onboard with BoC.

That's the one thing that makes me skeptical of those old quotes. They're really old. From a decade ago. Maybe it's because I'm a glass half full guy, but I'd like to consider your ideas a possibility. And if we're using old quotes, the TCH ones really showed that BOC were some down to earth guys who weren't totally above doing things that "regular" humans do.

Regardless of who is controlling the social media, it is generating goodwill towards the fans. Much like the modified plaque. Let's just sit tight and see what happens over the coming months. :wink:
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Btw, this is a comment more reserved for the trainspotters in the group, but the wooden BOC plaque has one difference in the line work from the original. Below the rectangle is the start of a line that is absent from the original.

I remember reading on reddit that BOC doctored an image of a Pioneer's Plaque carving, but did anyone ever manage to track down the original carving image?

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Btw, this is a comment more reserved for the trainspotters in the group, but the wooden BOC plaque has one difference in the line work from the original. Below the rectangle is the start of a line that is absent from the original.

I remember reading on reddit that BOC doctored an image of a Pioneer's Plaque carving, but did anyone ever manage to track down the original carving image?

No, it's there, was a bit strange trying to line these up, but this was the best I could do

https://imgur.com/GjZdwt9

https://imgur.com/OQTJ9D9

Eagle Minded
demo wrote:
Echelon wrote:Btw, this is a comment more reserved for the trainspotters in the group, but the wooden BOC plaque has one difference in the line work from the original. Below the rectangle is the start of a line that is absent from the original.

No, it's there, was a bit strange trying to line these up, but this was the best I could do

https://imgur.com/GjZdwt9

https://imgur.com/OQTJ9D9

it’s not a new line... it’s just a speck it seems. you zoom in on it enough you can clearly see it just a dot. also i personally think it looks more like copper than wood, but who knows. i think it’s pretty evident there are no secrets in the banner, they would’ve most likely been discovered by now.
no information at this moment in time

Eagle Minded
I dont think there is much to look into with that banner, I would really like to believe something is there that we havent noticed, but I dont believe that is the case. But for anyone who wants to analyse, there you go.

Truly seems like not much is going to happen for a while, next milestones are Record Store Day (probably not much wiill happen, as people stated they wont copy the TH post, however this is a day BoC know fans are aware of now so who knows) and the twitter and instagram 70'th and 5'th posts, which also could be absolutely nothing.

Boqurant
demo wrote:I dont think there is much to look into with that banner, I would really like to believe something is there that we havent noticed, but I dont believe that is the case. But for anyone who wants to analyse, there you go.

Truly seems like not much is going to happen for a while, next milestones are Record Store Day (probably not much wiill happen, as people stated they wont copy the TH post, however this is a day BoC know fans are aware of now so who knows) and the twitter and instagram 70'th and 5'th posts, which also could be absolutely nothing.

I think movement on Record Store Day is a possibility, but nothing at the level of the TH Hunt. It's pretty likely that it might just be another acknowledgement of the fans, maybe small info drop, or even nothing significant. Maybe nothing at all. Though, the banner change and posts/interactions were just in time to prepare us for something coming down the pipeline. Suppose there is another BoC release in the works, what are the chances that anything resembling the TH campaign is upon us?

I'd keep my eye on the 26th, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Boqurant
happy_cycling wrote:
demo wrote:I dont think there is much to look into with that banner, I would really like to believe something is there that we havent noticed, but I dont believe that is the case. But for anyone who wants to analyse, there you go.

I think movement on Record Store Day is a possibility, but nothing at the level of the TH Hunt. It's pretty likely that it might just be another acknowledgement of the fans, maybe small info drop, or even nothing significant. Maybe nothing at all. Though, the banner change and posts/interactions were just in time to prepare us for something coming down the pipeline. Suppose there is another BoC release in the works, what are the chances that anything even vaguely resembling the TH campaign is upon us? Just doesn't seem like their MO.

I'd keep my eye on the 26th, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Friendly Stranger
The 'streaming from a satellite' idea sounds pretty cool but I'm pretty sure it's already been done. I think John Frusciante did it a few years back with his album 'Enclosure'....think one or two other bands have done it...just can't remember them right now
All NNYz? music....Streams CDs & digital....https://linktr.ee/NNYz

Eagle Minded
We are in the deflation period of a BoC-Hype-Breadcrumb-Trail Balloon session -- everyone take care of yourselves until the helium tank is tapped once again.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Dayvan Cowboy
You know, a space album makes total logical sense both from both a narrative perspective in BOC's own work and what's going on in this planet right now! It just clicked in my brain what the final tracks in Tomorrow's Harvest mean.

New Seeds= People leaving a dying earth to "fertilize" other planets. There's a hopeful feeling that the human race will continue
Come To Dust = The unfortunate people who couldn't escape facing their last moments alive
Seeds of the Dead= The people who were left behind, now fertilize the cold earth with their corpses

I visualize the next album as an escapist soundtrack combined with some sixties/seventies influence with a jet black album cover and some kind of low-fi image of a rocket or some other kind of space gadgetry on the cover.

I don't know about you, but I'm ready for the space age! :D

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:You know, a space album makes total logical sense both from both a narrative perspective in BOC's own work and what's going on in this planet right now! It just clicked in my brain what the final tracks in Tomorrow's Harvest mean.

New Seeds= People leaving a dying earth to "fertilize" other planets. There's a hopeful feeling that the human race will continue
Come To Dust = The unfortunate people who couldn't escape facing their last moments alive
Seeds of the Dead= The people who were left behind, now fertilize the cold earth with their corpses

I visualize the next album as an escapist soundtrack combined with some sixties/seventies influence with a jet black album cover and some kind of low-fi image of a rocket or some other kind of space gadgetry on the cover.

I don't know about you, but I'm ready for the space age! :D

Ha, that's an interesting idea of the new direction BoC could take. But, frankly, I would like new BoC music to be much more "hazy-meadows-of-childhood" type of thing similar to random 35 tracks tape ... With everything going on in the world today this can sound like repetition of old approach amid chaos, but I don't think it would be escapist at all. Sometimes context changes everything - read Borges' short story "Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote" for example. So going back to the sound of, say, 5.9.78 today would be poignantly beautiful IMO.
all things shining

Eagle Minded
gestell wrote:read Borges' short story "Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote" for example. So going back to the sound of, say, 5.9.78 today would be poignantly beautiful IMO.

2 "things":

1. "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote" is a wonderful story -- x2 for suggestion

2. "5.9.78" is one of their best songs Perfectly captures their genius melodymaking.

On another note, I was revisiting Twoism last night and was astonished, all over again, at how simple most of the album is. It's one of the most poignant albums for me. The dissonance and simplicity are masterful. Would love to hear them make another downtempo, bare-bones album like that.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Eagle Minded
The banner imo reveals a more minimal/pagan-like vibe. It reminded me of the occult themes of Geogaddi and IABPOITC. If we listen to societas x and their remixes recently, it reflects a more rock-esque vibe... especially with mr mistake and sometimes. I also hope they do more of the wild styles on Random 35, but am also hoping for a more distorted guitar type album. I loved the guitar swell/fade in on Sometimes, and I also heard a similar guitar part briefly in mr. Mistake. Societas X barely resembled what we know from them and hope it is something entirely new. My personal hopes are for a more new wave 60’s psychedelic style album... with distorted guitars and funk beats, and orchestral pieces or something with their usual lush magic!

Eagle Minded
Societas X didn't resemble them? It was basically all music they ever mentioned in interviews since the beginning. These individual artists sometimes made no sense how can they be influences but when heard together like this it makes perfect sense. In every single one of those tracks you could hear an element that could be easily made by them. It could be anything from synth arpeggio to a recording straight off tape, I would go as far to even certain techniques how instruments were recorded and produced.

Eagle Minded
I've a feeling this has got something to do with a BoCset. the reasoning being we already got vinyl reissues, and frankly I don't think BoC would be so thematically straightforward to directly use one of the most recognizable artifacts from space travel as a representation of the direction of any new music. I really don't think they'd just say "hey this is our SPACE ALBUM LMAO", they've never had such strong allegiance to a singular aesthetic. Like, TH promotion used aesthetics indicative of the cold war and nuclear holocaust, but they didn't post a clip from Dr. Strangelove!
Thus, if this means anything, I think this is indicative of old material coming to light. A golden BoC record launched to us from far away in the past. Fingers tightly crossed !
member of pablo col.
https://www.pacol.bandcamp.com

Eagle Minded
Moz wrote:Societas X didn't resemble them? It was basically all music they ever mentioned in interviews since the beginning. These individual artists sometimes made no sense how can they be influences but when heard together like this it makes perfect sense. In every single one of those tracks you could hear an element that could be easily made by them. It could be anything from synth arpeggio to a recording straight off tape, I would go as far to even certain techniques how instruments were recorded and produced.
I didn’t mean you couldn’t find what equals them through those tracks, and some sounded a lot like them, i meant it had a lot more guitar based tracks and while we have campfire headphase, we don’t really have any rock stuff from them except maybe one or two tracks. It is only my personal wish that they release a rock album. Nothing more. Also hope the next one is reminiscent of in a beautiful place. But i would take anything from them.

Posts Quantity
Betterthanyourkids wrote:I've a feeling this has got something to do with a BoCset. the reasoning being we already got vinyl reissues, and frankly I don't think BoC would be so thematically straightforward to directly use one of the most recognizable artifacts from space travel as a representation of the direction of any new music. I really don't think they'd just say "hey this is our SPACE ALBUM LMAO", they've never had such strong allegiance to a singular aesthetic. Like, TH promotion used aesthetics indicative of the cold war and nuclear holocaust, but they didn't post a clip from Dr. Strangelove!
Thus, if this means anything, I think this is indicative of old material coming to light. A golden BoC record launched to us from far away in the past. Fingers tightly crossed !

I don’t really think they’re interested in releasing old material considering how they reacted after the leaks. Those leaks kind of set the tone for their post-geogaddi interactions with fans. Am I wrong?

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:
Betterthanyourkids wrote:I've a feeling this has got something to do with a BoCset. the reasoning being we already got vinyl reissues, and frankly I don't think BoC would be so thematically straightforward to directly use one of the most recognizable artifacts from space travel as a representation of the direction of any new music. I really don't think they'd just say "hey this is our SPACE ALBUM LMAO", they've never had such strong allegiance to a singular aesthetic. Like, TH promotion used aesthetics indicative of the cold war and nuclear holocaust, but they didn't post a clip from Dr. Strangelove!

I don’t really think they’re interested in releasing old material considering how they reacted after the leaks. Those leaks kind of set the tone for their post-geogaddi interactions with fans. Am I wrong?

I imagine this had more to do with the betrayal of trust than it had to do with it being old material.

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:

Well, as recently as 2009 (so definitely post-geogaddi), MDG did say they were interested in compiling their favorite old material for release. However, that's 11 years ago now, and they themselves do not mention this in the TH era interviews, so I suppose it could go either way
member of pablo col.
https://www.pacol.bandcamp.com

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada