GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
IronMark wrote:
Skyraider wrote:
IronMark wrote:I'm tired of checking this thread to see if there's anything more from an official source only to see three pages of discussion about some random posting coordinates in a Youtube comment or something :cry:

No more speculation in the speculation thread!

New release speculation, not speculation about random posts on social media that could literally be the work of anyone.

I'm not saying it should be banned, silenced or censored at all, just expressing my opinion that I'm not a big fan. Others are, such is life. No Biggie.

I kind of wish someone official from Hexagon Sun would let us know who exactly is liking the posts. I think that would actually put a lot of these posts you don't like to rest. Because until we actually know, people are going to talk about the likes and if they have any significance.

Perhaps this is the great BOC enigma post TH and they catered it exactly to the social media age :lol:
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
I have no crazy theories, no numerology, and I didn't sacrifice a goat or anything else to arrive at this conclusion...but my guess for the next IG post, marking their 5th post, from the only full length album not yet represented:

Telephastic Workshop, specifically this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orG5TIOU8Ts

Don't know why, but I have a good feeling about the IG page being theirs, and this will be the next post. Soon...ish.
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Eagle Minded
drixlin wrote:I have no crazy theories, no numerology, and I didn't sacrifice a goat or anything else to arrive at this conclusion...but my guess for the next IG post, marking their 5th post, from the only full length album not yet represented:

Telephastic Workshop, specifically this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orG5TIOU8Ts

Don't know why, but I have a good feeling about the IG page being theirs, and this will be the next post. Soon...ish.

Olson was the first post. am I missing something here?
no information at this moment in time

Eagle Minded
Nope, just me being a dumbass.

I'm a better lurker than problem solver. I'll see myself out...
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

northernlite wrote:I’d like to apologize to the forum at large. It was definitely not my intent to ‘dox’ or in any other way breach the privacy of the band. Thanks to Mexicola for being cool about it.

No harm done. Relax ;-)

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Some of you have been talking about the possible “space theme” for the 5th LP.

Speculating, if so, It would maybe be a cool idea to use this video for the 5th IG video since it has space imagery, it’s the only official video - but manipulate it to hide something new embedded in it to hint towards a 5th album.

https://youtu.be/A2zKARkpDW4

I personally find it a bit hard to see BoC going full on “space” theme - since many of the themes of their work is grounded in some way back to earth, nature, environment, place, people, life, living and the like.

Also the “space” album concept is a bit trite nowadays in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayvan Cowboy
drixlin wrote:Nope, just me being a dumbass.

I'm a better lurker than problem solver. I'll see myself out...

Not embarrassing at all my friend. Especially when you remember I was dead set on them performing at Shibuya (or whereever it was) and it turned out to be the band, !!!

Edit: Also just an update on the Bleep inquiry: they never responded. First time that's ever happened. They usually respond in one working day (excluding weekends) but not this time. I'm starting to feel that people want this to be a mystery.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:I kind of wish someone official from Hexagon Sun would let us know who exactly is liking the posts. I think that would actually put a lot of these posts you don't like to rest. Because until we actually know, people are going to talk about the likes and if they have any significance.

Perhaps this is the great BOC enigma post TH and they catered it exactly to the social media age :lol:

Why wouldn’t BoC be running their own account?

I've seen a few people saying "oh, it couldn't possibly be them" but to me that just sounds like part of the tendency to over-mystify them. They’re not total luddites or anything, and it's not like they're such big celebrities they can't be bothered with social media. They're not hugely social but we have no reason to believe they despise their fans so much they can't spend a couple of minutes a day liking posts.

To me their account activity seems very much in the band's communication style- vague hints, nothing more. And the allegation that there's someone at Warp HQ running their social media account sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Echelon wrote:I kind of wish someone official from Hexagon Sun would let us know who exactly is liking the posts. I think that would actually put a lot of these posts you don't like to rest. Because until we actually know, people are going to talk about the likes and if they have any significance.

I've seen a few people saying "oh, it couldn't possibly be them" but to me that just sounds like part of the tendency to over-mystify them. They’re not total luddites or anything, and it's not like they're such big celebrities they can't be bothered with social media. They're not hugely social but we have no reason to believe they despise their fans so much they can't spend a couple of minutes a day liking posts.

To me their account activity seems very much in the band's communication style- vague hints, nothing more. And the allegation that there's someone at Warp HQ running their social media account sounds like a conspiracy theory.

agreed 100%. the thing I always hear is “they hate the internet, they hate social media!!!” and yes while they did seem very cynical to the ideal of social media (and the internet in general) in past interviews, people change. I think they’ve gotten over themselves a little bit and realized that running a twitter/instagram account won’t destroy their morals.

the idea that BoC wouldn’t be running their accounts because it doesn’t seem “BoC-like” is a direct contradiction because does letting some random Warp intern run their entire online presence sound “BoC-like”? no not at all, remember when they said they had trust issues.
no information at this moment in time

Sherbet Head
PerniciousKnid wrote:Some of you have been talking about the possible “space theme” for the 5th LP.

Speculating, if so, It would maybe be a cool idea to use this video for the 5th IG video since it has space imagery, it’s the only official video - but manipulate it to hide something new embedded in it to hint towards a 5th album.

I personally find it a bit hard to see BoC going full on “space” theme - since many of the themes of their work is grounded in some way back to earth, nature, environment, place, people, life, living and the like.

Also the “space” album concept is a bit trite nowadays in my opinion.

Let's go bigger than imagining space as a theme for BoC's next album. What about space as the way BoC delivers music and content? For example, SpaceX has its Starlink program which is deploying thousands of miniature satellites in Earth orbit with the goal of making access to space-based telecommunications relatively cheap. People are already thinking that in the very near future cell phone plans will be obsolete and satellite telephony will be the norm. I don't know if that's for sure, but we'll know soon.

My point in bringing up Starlink was that these mini-satellites are designed to transmit and receive from space to anywhere on Earth -- that would include New Zealand. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Josh on Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts Quantity
PerniciousKnid wrote:it’s the only official video

Let’s not forget Reach for the Dead! :)

Eagle Minded
A spaced-themed BoC album would be amazing and would follow nicely after the themes of in Tomorrrow's Harvest of having to leave a dying planet for space....

Posts Quantity
Josh wrote:

Let's go bigger than imagining space as a theme for BoC's next album. What about space as the way BoC delivers music and content? For example, SpaceX has its Starlink program which is deploying thousands of miniature satellites in Earth orbit with the goal of making access to space-based telecommunications relatively cheap. People are already thinking that in the very near future cell phone plans will be obsolete and satellite telephony will be the norm. I don't know if that's for sure, but we'll know soon.

My point in bringing up Starlink was that these mini-satellites are designed to transmit and receive from space to anywhere on Earth -- that would include New Zealand. :mrgreen:[/quote]

That’s big thinking, friend!

Massive Attack reissued mezzanine as DNA so why not go big or go home!

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/massive ... -dna-album

Dayvan Cowboy
The only thing I fear about a space themed album is that it might be very dry like Tomorrow's Harvest. A lot of the interludes on TH seem more like soundtrack-y mood setters than miniature melodic worlds like the Geogaddi and Music interludes. If the next album is indeed a soundtrack to the stars, I really hope it's inspired by acid rock 60s musicians like Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead and their fixations on space rather than something you'd hear in a planetarium XD

Posts Quantity
Josh wrote:

My point in bringing up Starlink was that these mini-satellites are designed to transmit and receive from space to anywhere on Earth -- that would include New Zealand. :mrgreen:[/quote]

That’s big thinking, friend!

Massive Attack reissued mezzanine as DNA so why not go big or go home!

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/massive ... -dna-album

Posts Quantity
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

Why would they manage their own account when their record label and friends at Hexagon Sun could do it all for them? You're right, they're not luddites at all, but they're known to dislike both social media and doing promotional work.

mdg wrote:to clear this up: the myspace page was taken over by warp some time ago, and is now maintained by both warp staff and a couple of friends of the band, on a 'when time permits' basis. the 'you and i' player on the page is apparently only visible to US users, and was added by myspace themselves. they've been contacted a few times with requests to remove the 'you and i' thing but they've ignored the requests.
viewtopic.php?p=67197#p67197

mdg wrote:
Numerator wrote:twitter? perhaps they're going to tell us whether they've just had a shit or what they had for breakfast...

In response to this, (and I agree with you); these official pages have been picked up in reaction to a series of bogus pages lately, where people have squatted on the band's name. The guys have very little interest in using sites like these, but they will be used by music70/warp for news announcements etc when needed.
viewtopic.php?p=110167#p110167

mdg wrote:The guys' 'radio silence' is simply because they're busy. They're not retiring anytime soon. If it gives you guys any kind of useful insight, Mike and Marcus hate doing promotional work, and they see things like MySpace as counter-productive homogenizing communities.
viewtopic.php?p=69945#p69945

Sherbet Head
sixtyniner wrote:
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

Why would they manage their own account when their record label and friends at Hexagon Sun could do it all for them? You're right, they're not luddites at all, but they're known to dislike both social media and doing promotional work.

mdg wrote:to clear this up: the myspace page was taken over by warp some time ago, and is now maintained by both warp staff and a couple of friends of the band, on a 'when time permits' basis. the 'you and i' player on the page is apparently only visible to US users, and was added by myspace themselves. they've been contacted a few times with requests to remove the 'you and i' thing but they've ignored the requests.
viewtopic.php?p=67197#p67197

mdg wrote:
Numerator wrote:twitter? perhaps they're going to tell us whether they've just had a shit or what they had for breakfast...

In response to this, (and I agree with you); these official pages have been picked up in reaction to a series of bogus pages lately, where people have squatted on the band's name. The guys have very little interest in using sites like these, but they will be used by music70/warp for news announcements etc when needed.
viewtopic.php?p=110167#p110167

mdg wrote:The guys' 'radio silence' is simply because they're busy. They're not retiring anytime soon. If it gives you guys any kind of useful insight, Mike and Marcus hate doing promotional work, and they see things like MySpace as counter-productive homogenizing communities.
viewtopic.php?p=69945#p69945

Thank you for digging up those MDG quotes. This is really important for those trying to read the tea leaves through social media likes and whatnot. It's a waste of time. Full stop.

Happy Cycler
Not that I don't love the enthusiastic search for hidden meaning but I especially enjoy when an mdg quote cuts through it all with a clear explanation. Thanks for digging those quotes up. We seem to go round in circles in the leaner years between albums.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Posts Quantity
Josh wrote: but they will be used by music70/warp for news announcements etc when needed.

This is really important for those trying to read the tea leaves through social media likes and whatnot. It's a waste of time. Full stop.[/quote]

Not sure how you’re getting this from what MDG said: that social media will be used for announcements.

Sherbet Head
Not sure how you’re getting this from what MDG said: that social media will be used for announcements.

I guess because I don't equate likes and hand claps with actual definitive announcements.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada