GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Just another theory: BOC said in interviews they had enough material for three albums cut during the TH years and some tracks on TH are indeed more spacey/alien sounding (Split Your Infinities, Palace Posy.) Perhaps this will be the spacier tracks from those sessions finished up and polished.

They also said "maybe next time" about a more melodic album, which I really hope is the case. Other worldly melodies are what make them so great imo :)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Josh wrote:Thank you for digging up those MDG quotes. This is really important for those trying to read the tea leaves through social media likes and whatnot. It's a waste of time. Full stop.

agreed, reading into the likes anymore than a simple “hey, we’re alive” is stupid. but even with the mdg quotes (that are many years old now mind you) i still believe that they run the account, or at least music70. i just think it would be of no use for Warp to be randomly posting and liking things lol. but obviously i could see reason for music70 to be doing so. but either way... does it really matter? all the likes are really saying is “hey we’re alive” does it really matter if it’s coming from Warp or music70? there are a few people on the board who go way over on the speculation but that’s part of the fun in my eyes, seeing people going down absurd rabbit holes trying to find something. sometimes it can be a bit much but not much you can do about it.
no information at this moment in time

Posts Quantity
Josh wrote:
Not sure how you’re getting this from what MDG said: that social media will be used for announcements.

I guess because I don't equate likes and hand claps with actual definitive announcements.

Those sure got our attention, but I think the relevant thing with their Twitter and IG pages are the amounts of posts they have (69 and 4, respectively). Of course it’s just speculation, but it looks like they’re building some anticipation to post sixtyten, which we are hoping will be an official announcement.

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:
Josh wrote:
Not sure how you’re getting this from what MDG said: that social media will be used for announcements.

I guess because I don't equate likes and hand claps with actual definitive announcements.

Those sure got our attention, but I think the relevant thing with their Twitter and IG pages are the amounts of posts they have (69 and 4, respectively). Of course it’s just speculation, but it looks like they’re building some anticipation to post sixtyten, which we are hoping will be an official announcement.

69 is a cool number in a lot of ways, but what if their tweets were at 45. would that mean no new album? no, it’s just a number, yes tweet 70 will probably (probably) be some sort of announcement, but when’s that tweet coming? probably not soon. they obviously switched to instagram so they could continue posting how they did on twitter without hitting 70, or at least that’s how i see it. again, not saying the new album is 1,000 years out, it could be soon, it could be later. none of us have any clue. (well maybe mexi does...)

also, 20th anniversary of IABPOITC is coming Nov 27th and if there’s any promo material for that, i’ll be dammed if they don’t promote it on twitter

Sherbet Head
drixlin wrote:A spaced-themed BoC album would be amazing and would follow nicely after the themes of in Tomorrrow's Harvest of having to leave a dying planet for space....

Listening on the grapevine, A warp artist has the contract to soundtrack Wall-E 2
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:
PerniciousKnid wrote:Some of you have been talking about the possible “space theme” for the 5th LP.

Speculating, if so, It would maybe be a cool idea to use this video for the 5th IG video since it has space imagery, it’s the only official video - but manipulate it to hide something new embedded in it to hint towards a 5th album.

https://youtu.be/A2zKARkpDW4

I personally find it a bit hard to see BoC going full on “space” theme - since many of the themes of their work is grounded in some way back to earth, nature, environment, place, people, life, living and the like.

Also the “space” album concept is a bit trite nowadays in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's go bigger than imagining space as a theme for BoC's next album. What about space as the way BoC delivers music and content? For example, SpaceX has its Starlink program which is deploying thousands of miniature satellites in Earth orbit with the goal of making access to space-based telecommunications relatively cheap. People are already thinking that in the very near future cell phone plans will be obsolete and satellite telephony will be the norm. I don't know if that's for sure, but we'll know soon.

My point in bringing up Starlink was that these mini-satellites are designed to transmit and receive from space to anywhere on Earth -- that would include New Zealand. :mrgreen:

I wonder if Starlink is going to succeed where "Iridium" failed? It's not a new idea, a satellite cloud. But Elon Musk is a hella capitalist, no way he's not going to try and make a buck out of this.

In fact if BoC were going to do anything about the satellites at all I can see them doing something about drowning out the light of the stars with corporate satellites just so we can check our Facebook in the middle of the desert...

Sherbet Head
The trouble with these numbers is that, like the fakes, they/we are using obvious old ideas from past BoC. If they are planning something, they might be wanting to move on and make new ideas that surround a new theme. They like to keep things fresh and stay steps ahead of the fans. But as I said before, it could be interesting if they picked up on an idea that we created and ran with it for a laugh.
You could feel the bullshit

Sherbet Head
I wonder if Starlink is going to succeed where "Iridium" failed? It's not a new idea, a satellite cloud. But Elon Musk is a hella capitalist, no way he's not going to try and make a buck out of this.

In fact if BoC were going to do anything about the satellites at all I can see them doing something about drowning out the light of the stars with corporate satellites just so we can check our Facebook in the middle of the desert...

I would guess that Elon Musk has learned valuable lessons from Iridium's failures, but who knows. I totally agree that cluttering up the sky with thousands of satellites would seem to be a rather short-sighted idea, but it's happening.

I just think the idea of BoC having its own private mini-sat to use to send us transmissions is way cooler than using social media.

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:
I just think the idea of BoC having its own private mini-sat to use to send us transmissions is way cooler than using social media.

I have a feeling that if they design a website based around a space theme, it might be in the form of a satellite broadcasting a message. Like Cosecha Transmissiones, but an outer space version.

I mean we already found their message of goodwill, perhaps the next time we hear from them, it will be from outer space.

New Seed
Hey y'all, long time lurker, etc etc

I kind of wonder if the new found use of social media is just them keeping up with their kids - we know they have families, and its so possible the kids are now teenagers, who spend all their lives glued to phones, Fortnite, and the rest. I can just see M+M getting sucked into it all (and it's a way different place from the quoted MySpace), maybe by way of making personal social accounts to keep tabs on the kids, find that it's not allllll bad, and jumping onboard with BoC.

Eagle Minded
Be pretty neat if they’ve been using over shortwave to broadcast stuff and no one has found it yet.

Sherbet Head
Navaru wrote:Be pretty neat if they’ve been using over shortwave to broadcast stuff and no one has found it yet.

Yeah, I think they were ahead of a lot of musicians on using numbers stations in their music because they were scanning the shortwave bands before the Conet Project was a thing. Broadcasting stuff, too, I imagine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Drumshalloch wrote:Hey y'all, long time lurker, etc etc

I kind of wonder if the new found use of social media is just them keeping up with their kids - we know they have families, and its so possible the kids are now teenagers, who spend all their lives glued to phones, Fortnite, and the rest. I can just see M+M getting sucked into it all (and it's a way different place from the quoted MySpace), maybe by way of making personal social accounts to keep tabs on the kids, find that it's not allllll bad, and jumping onboard with BoC.

That's the one thing that makes me skeptical of those old quotes. They're really old. From a decade ago. Maybe it's because I'm a glass half full guy, but I'd like to consider your ideas a possibility. And if we're using old quotes, the TCH ones really showed that BOC were some down to earth guys who weren't totally above doing things that "regular" humans do.

Regardless of who is controlling the social media, it is generating goodwill towards the fans. Much like the modified plaque. Let's just sit tight and see what happens over the coming months. :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
Btw, this is a comment more reserved for the trainspotters in the group, but the wooden BOC plaque has one difference in the line work from the original. Below the rectangle is the start of a line that is absent from the original.

I remember reading on reddit that BOC doctored an image of a Pioneer's Plaque carving, but did anyone ever manage to track down the original carving image?

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Btw, this is a comment more reserved for the trainspotters in the group, but the wooden BOC plaque has one difference in the line work from the original. Below the rectangle is the start of a line that is absent from the original.

I remember reading on reddit that BOC doctored an image of a Pioneer's Plaque carving, but did anyone ever manage to track down the original carving image?

No, it's there, was a bit strange trying to line these up, but this was the best I could do

https://imgur.com/GjZdwt9

https://imgur.com/OQTJ9D9

Eagle Minded
demo wrote:
Echelon wrote:Btw, this is a comment more reserved for the trainspotters in the group, but the wooden BOC plaque has one difference in the line work from the original. Below the rectangle is the start of a line that is absent from the original.

No, it's there, was a bit strange trying to line these up, but this was the best I could do

https://imgur.com/GjZdwt9

https://imgur.com/OQTJ9D9

it’s not a new line... it’s just a speck it seems. you zoom in on it enough you can clearly see it just a dot. also i personally think it looks more like copper than wood, but who knows. i think it’s pretty evident there are no secrets in the banner, they would’ve most likely been discovered by now.

Eagle Minded
I dont think there is much to look into with that banner, I would really like to believe something is there that we havent noticed, but I dont believe that is the case. But for anyone who wants to analyse, there you go.

Truly seems like not much is going to happen for a while, next milestones are Record Store Day (probably not much wiill happen, as people stated they wont copy the TH post, however this is a day BoC know fans are aware of now so who knows) and the twitter and instagram 70'th and 5'th posts, which also could be absolutely nothing.

Boqurant
demo wrote:I dont think there is much to look into with that banner, I would really like to believe something is there that we havent noticed, but I dont believe that is the case. But for anyone who wants to analyse, there you go.

Truly seems like not much is going to happen for a while, next milestones are Record Store Day (probably not much wiill happen, as people stated they wont copy the TH post, however this is a day BoC know fans are aware of now so who knows) and the twitter and instagram 70'th and 5'th posts, which also could be absolutely nothing.

I think movement on Record Store Day is a possibility, but nothing at the level of the TH Hunt. It's pretty likely that it might just be another acknowledgement of the fans, maybe small info drop, or even nothing significant. Maybe nothing at all. Though, the banner change and posts/interactions were just in time to prepare us for something coming down the pipeline. Suppose there is another BoC release in the works, what are the chances that anything resembling the TH campaign is upon us?

I'd keep my eye on the 26th, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Boqurant
happy_cycling wrote:
demo wrote:I dont think there is much to look into with that banner, I would really like to believe something is there that we havent noticed, but I dont believe that is the case. But for anyone who wants to analyse, there you go.

I think movement on Record Store Day is a possibility, but nothing at the level of the TH Hunt. It's pretty likely that it might just be another acknowledgement of the fans, maybe small info drop, or even nothing significant. Maybe nothing at all. Though, the banner change and posts/interactions were just in time to prepare us for something coming down the pipeline. Suppose there is another BoC release in the works, what are the chances that anything even vaguely resembling the TH campaign is upon us? Just doesn't seem like their MO.

I'd keep my eye on the 26th, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Friendly Stranger
The 'streaming from a satellite' idea sounds pretty cool but I'm pretty sure it's already been done. I think John Frusciante did it a few years back with his album 'Enclosure'....think one or two other bands have done it...just can't remember them right now
All NNYz? music....Streams CDs & digital....https://linktr.ee/NNYz

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada