GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:
Roswell wrote:Hey guys! This is probably not significant but I did notice on the Bandcamp app, that the Hell Interface Bandcamp page has links to their YouTube and to their website: hellinterface.com

Hell Interface website... huh... good find, too bad it's empty

Hexagon Sun have squatted a lot of websites, all of which are empty. Someone on here discovered Marcus has his own website but it's entirely black too.

What's interesting is that the bandcamp linked one of those empty placeholder websites. Why would they do that?

For some reason, I get vibes that Hell Interface might be in the spotlight someday.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:
Zephyr Method wrote:Is it just me or did I hear something on there that sounded strikingly like XYZ era BoC?

I don't think it's them, but Skam were playing this awesome robotic acid techno before. which is in XYZ's genre.

XYZ was an interesting time in BOC's career since after Music Has The Right To Children, they started using computers to make robotic techno music (XYZ and the final track on Warp 10) but had a change of heart and made the more organic Geogaddi instead.

They're playing Autechre-like music right now. I almost think it is Autechre! Wouldn't be surprised if they slip BOC in here somewhere and we easily miss it.

Man that's an interesting coincidence. Right after I saw this post, this was in my top suggestions on YT. It was apparently "auto-uploaded" to their official YT Channel about 8 hours ago. (09/27/2020)
phpBB [media]

Not saying that it's movement from BoC, just super random that right as I happen to see you guys talking about XYZ, I stumble across this.
That's pretty fun.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Boqurant
Navaru wrote:Ya, that space bit at the end was interesting, and the song name was Tomorrow’s World by Martin Cook and Richard Denton. It’s also the name of a apocalyptic YouTube channel, and a song by The Killing Joke.

Clearly I have some weekend time on my hands, and I’m sure this is all coincidence, but I figure I would throw that out there too.

I havent heard it yet, but assume thats the theme tune to Tomorrows World, a future tech 70s/80s BBC series that looks weirdly hauntological/cassette futurist in retrospect.

I believe the theme tune was a homage to Kraftwerks radioactivity. Vince Clark did an amazing Erasure cover of it a few years back.

Eagle Minded
At this point, I wouldnt be suprised if we did actually get a Hell Interface release, nor would I be disapoined.

Posts Quantity
happy_cycling wrote:They're playing Autechre-like music right now. I almost think it is Autechre! Wouldn't be surprised if they slip BOC in here somewhere and we easily miss it.

Man that's an interesting coincidence. Right after I saw this post, this was in my top suggestions on YT. It was apparently "auto-uploaded" to their official YT Channel about 8 hours ago. (09/27/2020)
phpBB [media]

Not saying that it's movement from BoC, just super random that right as I happen to see you guys talking about XYZ, I stumble across this.
That's pretty fun.[/quote]

I’m having trouble accessing the hell interface bandcamp page when I search in the app. Could someone provide a link here?

Also intrigued by the new XYZ upload. They have obviously posted this video before. Where is this auto generated video categorized on there channel? Is it just a duplicate? And dare I ask...does anyone see any annotations or clues in the video?

Friendly Stranger
its auto generated by youtube so i doubt that theres any clues or it has any meaning at all

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:At this point, I wouldnt be suprised if we did actually get a Hell Interface release, nor would I be disapoined.

A thought crossed my head ever since the new art was uploaded on the HI channel instead of the BOC one. What if BOC start releasing under the moniker of Hell Interface instead of BOC? Perhaps they could do that in order to release music that is less Boardsian in nature. They have spoken about making music like that in TH interviews:

Do you pay attention to how the public perceives your music? You say you play a lot of guitar music but that this has no place in the context of Boards Of Canada. Why not start a traditional band or even release solo albums?

"ME: We don’t really pay attention to how the public perceives us, we only make music we love. On the other hand, we are obviously aware that our centres of musical interests go beyond the usual Boards Of Canada sandbox. And yes, we write and record a lot of music that has no place on a BoC album and perhaps we will explore this in the future."

What does this music sound like?

"ME: It’s much less synthetic. I can’t give you a good idea of the style because it’s a bit all over the place. Some pieces are very experimental. We record with friends and use whatever comes to hand in the studio - guitars, drums, stringed instruments and other classical means. In a sense, it looks much more like the work of a traditional band."

I also have a feeling this might be a Skam release. I heard that Skam wasn't doing well for a while and not releasing much but now they seem to be coming back with these awesome broadcasts!

Eagle Minded
I don't know why I didn't do this sooner... But I just checked the Boards Of Canada Bandcamp. Which mind you, was seized from someone else. And it links to boardsofcanada.com - their YouTube - their Twitter - AND THEIR INSTAGRAM. This makes it official for me.
no information at this moment in time

Posts Quantity
Roswell wrote:I don't know why I didn't do this sooner... But I just checked the Boards Of Canada Bandcamp. Which mind you, was seized from someone else. And it links to boardsofcanada.com - their YouTube - their Twitter - AND THEIR INSTAGRAM. This makes it official for me.

Noticed this too, and I’d say it is a good sign, but we’ve yet to see that the bandcamp is confirmed. The seizing of the page doesn’t prove that exactly. Still, this is a sign the coordinates are lining up! HI YT changes banner—also links to BOC YT, which also links to their social media and bleep pages. And bleep follows BOC Instagram. Is that as official as it needs to get? Maybe...

Boqurant
Roswell wrote:I don't know why I didn't do this sooner... But I just checked the Boards Of Canada Bandcamp. Which mind you, was seized from someone else. And it links to boardsofcanada.com - their YouTube - their Twitter - AND THEIR INSTAGRAM. This makes it official for me.

where exactly it links to those other websites? can you provide a screenshot?

Eagle Minded
broke wrote:

where exactly it links to those other websites? can you provide a screenshot?

https://imgur.com/gallery/avadmdR

the trick is to follow them on desktop, then go on mobile (on the same account) and look at it.

writetomhatcher wrote:

Noticed this too, and I’d say it is a good sign, but we’ve yet to see that the bandcamp is confirmed. The seizing of the page doesn’t prove that exactly. Still, this is a sign the coordinates are lining up! HI YT changes banner—also links to BOC YT, which also links to their social media and bleep pages. And bleep follows BOC Instagram. Is that as official as it needs to get? Maybe...

I don’t think anyone can just up and send bandcamp an email saying “Hey im Warp/BoC and we need this account” without coming from a verified email or providing proof...
no information at this moment in time

Dayvan Cowboy
Well that pretty much confirms the like my friend received on Instagram when he said "Hopefully this is the start of something good!" :)

I mean, it's pretty obvious now that something is happening. BOC just love engineering the hype through speculation and good vibes rather than outright saying it. Which is on par with them.

Dayvan Cowboy
Still, it all will go down to the release it self. TH, had a perfect pre-release hype. Perfect summer time to listen to the record. And when their LP and EP represses to dive deeper in to their music. They should think something this exciting, when the time comes.

Posts Quantity
There is something exciting about everyone having a way to access the information/to be part of the release hype. No matter which platform, their activity is waking up a public discourse we normally wouldn’t see on Twitter/Instagram.

Boqurant
Man, the idea of getting official Hell Interface stuff is kind of dope. Not sure if that's the direction they're trying to take it though, like if they just kinda dropped the BoC stuff for awhile and tried something new?

It could also be that they're using the Hell Interface channel for something completely different. Maybe it's more Hexagon Sun related stuff, and not necessarily just BoC. I'm all for that too.

Honestly, until they confirm something y'all's guess is as good as mine. Fun to speculate tho.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think my one wild, crazy (and probably wrong) prediction for this is that it's going to be an underground release on Skam. Maybe teased in these radio shows via some cryptic snippets about space, building up more and more each week until the band either plays a set or previews an album. The sound is going to be like nothing we've heard before from them and might be very sixties acid space rocky. I must admit that I'd love to see the brother's melodicism featured in a rock context rather than electronica one because I'm primarily a rock fan and BOC are the one outlier for me.

The preview to their new sound in Sometimes makes me think of a planetarium full of artificial stars and constellations before the warm straightforward rock drums come in with that cute piano riff. And a lot of the Societas tracks also seem to feature a rock influence (lots of drum beats that could be played by human hand) and spacey sounds too.

New Seed
I've had the theory that the new work they put out is going to be very light after TH. Something like, "Rebirth after the apocalypse" vibes. At least I hope. It'd be nice to hear some positive music after dealing with all the shit 2020 has to throw at us.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:I think my one wild, crazy (and probably wrong) prediction for this is that it's going to be an underground release on Skam. Maybe teased in these radio shows via some cryptic snippets about space, building up more and more each week until the band either plays a set or previews an album. The sound is going to be like nothing we've heard before from them and might be very sixties acid space rocky. I must admit that I'd love to see the brother's melodicism featured in a rock context rather than electronica one because I'm primarily a rock fan and BOC are the one outlier for me.

The preview to their new sound in Sometimes makes me think of a planetarium full of artificial stars and constellations before the warm straightforward rock drums come in with that cute piano riff. And a lot of the Societas tracks also seem to feature a rock influence (lots of drum beats that could be played by human hand) and spacey sounds too.

I mean an underground release on Skam might not be too far fetched, especially if it does have literally ANYTHING to do with the amks.live broadcasts. I'd wager it does, I'm not sure that it foreshadows a huge BoC release, but I'm sure they are involved somehow. I think it will become clear as more and more of the broadcasts air if this means anything for fans or if it's just a fun Skam stream.

Societas gives us a good idea of what's in store for the future of the BoC sound and tone; honestly, I think TH also gives us a bit of a peek into the future direction as well. If they did a space album and it's pretty likely that they will, based on everything in the past year, it would be a sound mixture of TCH and TH. With the atmospheric/spacey sound of TH interlaced with the guitars/melodic style of TCH. Obviously, I can't just boil an entire BoC album down to one sound, but I think that is the base direction they would take. It won't be as dire and desolate as TH, I definitely think it will be more hopeful and cheerful than previous releases.

Friendly Stranger
I just don’t believe that a record label (Warp) would be ok with one of their artists releasing something with a different label (SKAM) when they are still under contract, even if they used to work together. However, a side project like HI that isn’t technically under contract, could be realistic...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
KoA wrote:I just don’t believe that a record label (Warp) would be ok with one of their artists releasing something with a different label (SKAM) when they are still under contract, even if they used to work together. However, a side project like HI that isn’t technically under contract, could be realistic...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont think that anything from the amks.live streams has been BoC... I dont THINK, although some interesting things have played on there that, you know... maybe? The streams are obscure and ominous enough to make me think that IF BoC where to release a Hell Interface record through Skam, that would be the perfect place for them to tease new music.

I just hope we can stay on top of recording the amks.live streams, #1 reason is to preserve and archive the brilliant music being played and #2 reason is, well, the Hell Interface x Skam theory... which again, is JUST a theory, but I dont personally think it's a bad theory.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada