GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
happy_cycling wrote:Societas gives us a good idea of what's in store for the future of the BoC sound and tone; honestly, I think TH also gives us a bit of a peek into the future direction as well. If they did a space album and it's pretty likely that they will, based on everything in the past year, it would be a sound mixture of TCH and TH. With the atmospheric/spacey sound of TH interlaced with the guitars/melodic style of TCH. Obviously, I can't just boil an entire BoC album down to one sound, but I think that is the base direction they would take. It won't be as dire and desolate as TH, I definitely think it will be more hopeful and cheerful than previous releases.

I never thought of reading into Societas as the future sounds of BOC until people started pointing it out. There's definitely some reoccurring trends on it, I feel Associations, Prospect and Vulcan Mind Probe are all cousins and sound a lot like "space age bachelor pad music" as I've heard them described.

BOC have stated they like creating alternate paths in musical history and I feel that the combination of certain tracks on Societas will form the new path for BOC. I think the Minute Maid commercial about squeezing all the oranges together to make Minute Maid demonstrates this process and what we might have is the raw material that they use.

The way you describe the combination of TCH and TH sounds a lot like Sometimes, since the beginning of it is very "astral" while the rest of it sounds like the happy melodic style of TCH.

Regardless if we figure out the new sound, though, what makes this exciting is how they tie it all together with song titles, art and musical themes. What makes the first three albums so legendary for me are how they tie the brilliant music together in this ambiguous, unique outsider way that only BOC can do. That's what keeps me hyped. :D
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
Seen 3 auto generated XYZ YT vids now, all from the BoC channel. Obviously does not show in their video list that they upload personally. Seems weird and a bit of a violation to me. It may be in the detail of whatever Warp have signed with Youtube but 3 (that I have seen) of the same track in less than 24 hours is a bit silly.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
So what exactly are the askm.live streams? There's no official comment on what it is?

Posts Quantity
... yeah a bit true, I just checked it out - they don't give a damn they've been liking tweets about a new album for almost 5 years since June 2016 (after every liked tweet I ask myself "cool and what now?", I understand you too Mexicola)...

I'm a little bored, it is just too long... I hope it will be something like "nothing and then everything" (album, EP, old tunes, never-heard rare, all remixes, super hexagon sun-shaped box etc.)... I mean, what do they think about us the fans, as normal people? A month of bullshitting with banners websites etc. and it leads to nowhere, and they just don't give a damn... do they really think Hi Scores remaster and XYZ during 5 years is a fans' wet dream? Or what's the point of these releases? They didn't want devoted people (who share their own music too)?

I really don't understand, it is in that point with me - are they really that arrogant (sorry Mike, what's this all about?), or am I just that obtuse? I don't know, they said they think their fans are savvy people, but then what is this attitude? Is it about music and joy or self-importance? Or a feeling of unappreciation because they aren't "as big as U2"?

Why not to share all music like Lone does it? With passion and enjoying sharing it with others? MDG was here, they must know their fans are thirsty and embarrassed, I can see myself and others here as lunatic pricks, but this "game" isn't funny anymore IMO...

Regarding Tomorrow's Harvest - I was working on climate change/sustainable development stuff as a moral duty on Ministry of Environment during the time of the release - not all people have their heads in sand... and want to be depressed for rest of their lives...

I'm sorry, I had to get it out... I just want to have some "pure joy", not this "eternal waiting for nothing" bullshit...

Sherbet Head
Well, unfortunately for you, this is all on you, you've done this to yourslef, they don't owe you shit. Best thing for you to do is to ignore the forum/internet for a while, live a normal life, listen to other music and then maybe one day you'll get a surprise when you spot a new BoC release in HMV, and that will be a gift.

Dayvan Cowboy
From the Geogaddi era: What's with the secrecy surrounding the release of the album? a) we don't care about music business politics and promotion schedules b) we tried to keep the music from the net (and miraculously succeeded) c) we like a little mystery d) all above is true

Mike: a and b. Especially a.

Earlier this year I was as pissed as you Hopekeeper, but I dunno, I have good vibes lately!

The likes and the banner have caused them for me. We have November 17th to look forward to. The sit tight message from last year. There were some other comments from artists and purported people who know the band that also hint at a new release. The "Give It A Bit Longer" message in Societas. And while I'm still not 100%, I feel keeping an eye on the awesome Skam Broadcast may pay off too.

If anything came out of this for me. It's encouraged me to listen to what we have and appreciate it even more. Hell, even Societas has the same properties of a BOC album where the more you listen to it, the more you discover, sort of like Geogaddi.

I say, give it to the end of this year. Then get mad! :)

Sherbet Head
We just have to keep in mind that what they have done over the past years is just normal stuff, it's more likely than not just simply them liking tweets because they are complimentary to them and they made a little of new artwork and popped it up. It's us that has entwined elaborate theory into all this. I think it's great that we do this but we also have to have a foot in reality, in order to keep our sanity. Unfortunately, we are close to losing Hopekeeper, I hope he can keep his cool and calm himself enough to not jump off the edge.
If any of this stuff turns out to be something then we can all pat each others back, maybe get a reach around if we're that inclined.

Posts Quantity
Thank you for cheering me up guys... :]

You're right but sorry, I just thought BOC had always a meaning and that this is gone for now for a couple of years with the provoking tweets likes shit IMO, ignoring real fans and re-releasing old famous music... I just say it all lasts too long already, just for myself...

Maybe this was just my "moment of impatience" (some of us know that)... :roll:

And also - I don't give a fuk they "aren't as big as U2" (from their interviews)...

I'm with you all, don't worry... :)

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:Thank you for cheering me up guys... :]

You're right but sorry, I just thought BOC had always a meaning and that this is gone for now for a couple of years with the provoking tweets likes shit IMO, ignoring real fans and re-releasing old famous music... I just say it all lasts too long already, just for myself...

And also - I don't give a fuk they "aren't as big as U2" (from their interviews)...

I think the biggest problem with BOC is that they have a lot on their shoulders. They are so meticulous with everything that they probably feel they can't go back to "an album of songs." It has to be a huge conceptual piece like Tomorrow's Harvest or Geogaddi. Add that many critics believe they're the second best IDM band behind Aphex Twin and I feel they've got cold feet.I think the best example of this is on Pitchfork's list of best IDM records, Selected Ambient Works is listed as one and Music is listed as two.

They claim they don't care about critics and fan opinions, but they're human beings and every single one of us has insecurities in some way. I've realized if I look at this way and I see the legendary quality of their initial run, I can understand why they haven't returned in 7 and a half years.

I want this music as much as anyone on here, but I feel the little things they're doing now is to make waiting a little less painful. All the best to you, my friend. :D

Sherbet Head
And the fact that time goes so fucking fast, unless you're waiting. They are the only people not waiting for a BoC release, it probably feels like 5 minutes ago they put TH out.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:
♄ope keeper wrote:Thank you for cheering me up guys... :]

I think the biggest problem with BOC is that they have a lot on their shoulders. They are so meticulous with everything that they probably feel they can't go back to "an album of songs." It has to be a huge conceptual piece like Tomorrow's Harvest or Geogaddi. Add that many critics believe they're the second best IDM band behind Aphex Twin and I feel they've got cold feet.I think the best example of this is on Pitchfork's list of best IDM records, Selected Ambient Works is listed as one and Music is listed as two.

They claim they don't care about critics and fan opinions, but they're human beings and every single one of us has insecurities in some way. I've realized if I look at this way and I see the legendary quality of their initial run, I can understand why they haven't returned in 7 and a half years.

I want this music as much as anyone on here, but I feel the little things they're doing now is to make waiting a little less painful. All the best to you, my friend. :D

Thank you Echelon, and you're absolutely right (there could be nothing from them as it is with other bands, it happens, so maybe also gratitude leads the way for me)...

Posts Quantity
Geogandhi wrote:And the fact that time goes so fucking fast, unless you're waiting. They are the only people not waiting for a BoC release, it probably feels like 5 minutes ago they put TH out.

It's true, and I respect and understand also their private life...

New Seed
I’ve been there hopekeeper, mostly because of the fact that we know how much material there actually is/has been recorded!

Sometimes it really gets to me, especially when they release a “new” EP with zero new songs on it. It’s almost insulting. Why even mention the fact that all you do for 15 hours a day is record all this wonderful shit when no one will ever hear it? It’s hard not to be pissed with this knowledge, like we’re all starving and they tell us about mountains of delicious, mouthwatering delicacies they have hoarded and then just give us scraps of chicken bones re-packaged. It’s really quite infuriating. Honestly isn’t there like literally hundreds of hours of recorded material?

Yes, I am happy with what we have. Yes they technically don’t owe us anything but I really think that’s fucking lame to say. We’ve given them the opportunity on some level to do what they do. Artist/consumer relationships are symbiotic. I think most fans agree with this but don’t want to complain because 1) nobody likes a complainer and 2) they don’t want to offend the artists. All fair.

What I’m trying to say is this: I love the ambiguity and mysteriousness very much. Our community is like no other. I’m having a blast looking for clues and looking to the horizon and I am fine to wait for whatever they are doing because it will be worth it. I just can’t help get annoyed when we KNOW there is sooooo much shit that already exists. That’s why I think words like “arrogance” and “owing” can get thrown around.

Posts Quantity
Guys, don't be too impatient. The Bros need time to work on their sounds. Seven years is not that much.

I m sure that whoever is still alive for their next album will think that it was worth the wait.

Posts Quantity
By the way, have The Bros done their 69th like already?

The other day I was wondering if there is a way for a regular fan to be excited about BoC.

My conclusion was: only obsessive fans can be excited by BoC because the obsessive fan will see things where there is nothing to see, and expect things when there is nothing to expect.

BoC cannot be kept alive by regular fans because The Bros don't provide enough food for them. Obsessive fans, on the other hand, supply their own food.

I still think that they will release a new album very soon, or even better, another of those mesmerizing mixtapes!

Dayvan Cowboy
The Spaniard wrote:By the way, have The Bros done their 69th like already?

The other day I was wondering if there is a way for a regular fan to be excited about BoC.

My conclusion was: only obsessive fans can be excited by BoC because the obsessive fan will see things where there is nothing to see, and expect things when there is nothing to expect.

BoC cannot be kept alive by regular fans because The Bros don't provide enough food for them. Obsessive fans, on the other hand, supply their own food.

I still think that they will release a new album very soon, or even better, another of those mesmerizing mixtapes!

Speaking on behalf of the "obsessive fans," I just find this fun. Just all the speculation and discussion from whatever scraps they throw at us. They're my favorite band so obviously I'd be happy if they'd offer anything that points to the future, even if to some other people it would look like nothing.

But to be 100% honest here, if there is no new album or release, I'll be fine. It's not the end of the world and I'd rather just be happy I got what I did. It's no skin off my nose either way since music is just my leisure time.

Posts Quantity
A lot has happened since Tomorrow’s Harvest.

A lot has happened globally, a lot has happened in 2020 alone - as well, a lot has happened to each of us as individuals and members of the human race. We have all grown older and (hopefully) wiser in the past seven years.

I, for example, have had two children since Tomorrow’s Harvest. I’m a totally different person than I was before that life altering change. I’m different in my actions, in my mindset, the people who I associate with. My music tastes are vastly different - as I now prefer Miles Davis or Erik Satie over Aphex Twin or Nine Inch Nails.

I would imagine something similar has happened to BoC and to many of us. The brothers have grown older, their tastes have presumably changed - perhaps along with their beliefs, perspective and outlooks may have changed a lot as well.

2020 was a strange year for all of us - and a time for many - to make sure those around you were safe. I don’t imagine the brothers would put their music before their immediate family. I imagine like the rest of the world their lives and work were put on “pause”. No matter how many fans are waiting and for how long - none of that probably mattered over health and safety to many during 2020.

I think the past is inside the present in a lot of their work. I speculate that BoC will not be so blatant as to release any Hell Interface music. I believe they are more subtitle than that and are artistic to look back so blatantly. A good artist only looks back for reference and knowledge - there is a much better chance we hear something in the way of how R35TT B10 and The Smallest Weird Number relate to each other. I think it’s been stated BoC that looks back inside their own unreleased work for ideas to improve upon or sounds to manipulate and reuse.

Perhaps, the Pioneer plaque was (as someone else more eloquently said) was just a hello - telling everyone we survived the hell that has been 2020, were still here and now we’re beginning to focus back on the music.

Perhaps, just as 9/11/2001 effected Geogaddi release for another year until 02/19/2003. Perhaps 2020 has to soak in for a moment - and will play a role (big or small) in their 5th project?

Perhaps it will take them another 1-2 years to ponder it all and for them to flesh out and incorporate into new work?

Hopeful - but not holding my breath. Excited for the moment we all hear something officially new! Until then it’s “Nothing is Real” on repeat for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
hmm, that was odd. did anyone else see that quickly deleted post on the thread “Oh Please... Please”?
no information at this moment in time

Boqurant
Roswell wrote:hmm, that was odd. did anyone else see that quickly deleted post on the thread “Oh Please... Please”?

I saw it but I didn't have time to check it out. Anything of note?
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Posts Quantity

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada