GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Welp, see you guys at Warp 40 for our next semi-new track! Maybe we'll get an expanded Story of Xentrix :lol:
Or the "Black Box" EP...consisting mostly of Magic Window outtakes :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
Roswell wrote:
Echelon wrote:
debugDolores wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't think they will release a new album anytime in the next two years. I hope I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like the type of release strategy that BoC would go for. I think the HellInterface banner change was a way for them to "check in" and let us know that they're still alive and well. I do think that the next album will be space themed though.

As soon as friends started sending me articles about Aphex Twin billboards showing up again, my mind quickly jumped to your line of thinking.

Welp, see you guys at Warp 40 for our next semi-new track! Maybe we'll get an expanded Story of Xentrix :lol:

we still have the 20th IABPOITC anniversary on Nov. 27th :( But agree, with this aphex stuff popping up it’s clear he’s releasing something soon. Still not a 0% chance, but it’s certainly close.

Isn't the anniversary of Beautiful Place on the 17th? Also regardless, Warp don't seem to care because the Battles EP is being released on the 20th of November.

I have a feeling they'll be a few articles written on Beautiful Place and maybe they'll be retweeted by the official Twitter and that's it. I hate to say it, especially since I've been so optimistic in the last few weeks, but it seems BOC fans are getting the short end of the stick yet again.

But, I will keep watching AMKS regardless. That's my one hope in all this :) And to all you AFX fans on here, I'm glad you're getting some new stuff from him!
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
ZosoCon wrote:
Echelon wrote:Welp, see you guys at Warp 40 for our next semi-new track! Maybe we'll get an expanded Story of Xentrix
Too funny!

Fuck, maybe The Black Box was the Magic Window...

I think we've missed it.

Eagle Minded
The AFX thing turned out to be a hardware launch (which is awesome!). The Novation AFX Station seems to be a monosynth and we will get more info on it on the 20th.

So I don't believe ??????? will be a new Aphex Twin album

Friendly Stranger
dp wrote:
ZosoCon wrote:
Echelon wrote:Welp, see you guys at Warp 40 for our next semi-new track! Maybe we'll get an expanded Story of Xentrix
Too funny!

Fuck, maybe The Black Box was the Magic Window...

I think we've missed it.

I´ve had this wierd glitch last week or so where there is allways one slot that is emty whenever I visit youtube. Im not suggesting that Hexagon Sun have hacked my youtube page or anything, just think its funny. I dont mind it, it gives me nice accociations :P

Friendly Stranger
Geogandhi wrote:Haha, yeah, I really can't be arsed with anything else, I had no intention of even doing the last one to that degree, hence it being shit.
But like I said earlier on in the thread, I do plan on trying to make a legit sounding track from an album at some point, as a project just for the sake of arguments. But whenever that will be, i'll post it with the intention of being just that, no mystique.

Do you take requests? Why not make a leftover track from the Geogaddi sessions. Would be interesting to see how close you can get productionwise.

Apart from that, page 666 in this thread is getting closer. Maybe we could speed it up and see if something is happening.

Why not try and w
w
w
o
o
o
o
i
i
i
!
!
Sorry, just joking.

Sherbet Head
Already deep into a MHTRTC track, wrote and recorded all elements at the last weekend and now it's arrange and regurgitate. Depending how it comes out i'd be game to do a Geogaddi one.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Please do share!

Dayvan Cowboy
Geoghandi, I was actually thinking. Something you should do is come up with a "space" BOC track at some point. A "tradition" in the BOC community is to make a fake tracks for a new album before it's released. Apparently Headphase had a whole fake album made for it.

Who knows, we might create some good vibes by doing this and the hypothetical album will come out sooner. XD

Also, BOC did have a space track. I think Split Your Infinities makes me think of a VHS video depicting the infinite vastness of space

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Geoghandi, I was actually thinking. Something you should do is come up with a "space" BOC track at some point. A "tradition" in the BOC community is to make a fake tracks for a new album before it's released. Apparently Headphase had a whole fake album made for it.

Who knows, we might create some good vibes by doing this and the hypothetical album will come out sooner. XD

Also, BOC did have a space track. I think Split Your Infinities makes me think of a VHS video depicting the infinite vastness of space

yeah, except it got that FEMA vibe, which makes it also fucking grounded to this world. The whole TH, in my opinion, fels perfectly balanced between this world and beyond. It is almost like journey of the human soul, through time. seeing the changes and eventuall sundown of humanity. A soul which can not escape it eternal cycle.

Eagle Minded
What 'IF', there is never another Boards of Canada album? How would it make you feel if they publicly declared that this project is over? I ask this because there is something about Tomorrow's Harvest that completes the puzzle. Especially with the re release of the entire back catalog and the Hexagon iconography etc. Would it make you sad? Appreciative? Happy? You got to hear this great music. We all backed the right horse :)

Friendly Stranger
Echelon wrote:Geoghandi, I was actually thinking. Something you should do is come up with a "space" BOC track at some point. A "tradition" in the BOC community is to make a fake tracks for a new album before it's released. Apparently Headphase had a whole fake album made for it.

I vote for Basefree as their most space-y song.

Sherbet Head
I don't feel any of BoC are anywhere close to space. I feel they are grounded, so grounded that they are underground sometimes, amongst the mycelium. Trippy, mystic and dark like the side of our brain we forgot.

And it's a weird thing to say and I was amazed when OPN said similar in an interview, but... Snare drums anchor music to being made by humans.
If you take away the snare drum it becomes otherworldly, like it's not been created in typical man made musical ideology. Swap the role of a hat with anything, clicks, ticks, noise, the kick, synthy, boomy whatever, you can feel it's from any place, any dimension, as soon as you add a snare, it becomes man made. I don't know how you feel but that's how I look at it, and I use it as a point of reference for my own music, which most of the time, I just want it to just exist, like it's been born from natural causes not consciously by a human brain. I know that's nigh on impossible but it's an aim nontheless.

The most spacey album for me is Spokes by Plaid... And totally contradictory, it has many snare parts, but still, I feel it's a deep space album. It feels unlike any other plaid album, it feels like Ed and Andy were taken over by other beings at the time of making it, or they wrote it on a journey while being abducted. Still human elements but humans in space experiencing unreal things.
Silly I know, but it's the reason it's my favourite electronic album of all time, probably my favourite album of all time. It feels like it just exists. It's totally underated too, takes time to grow on you for sure but an album that is unreal all the way through as a whole, just like BoC albums. The track Zeal is a total masterpiece and feels like you're being operated on by alien forces.
I have also had a few drinks. ;)

Dayvan Cowboy
Very interesting post, Geogandhi.

I love Spokes, but I've never found it to be spacey. Great album nonetheless. The most spacey album I can think of is Rifts by OPN.

Eagle Minded
Great point there about snare drums. I agree. When the snare is removed, everything starts floating, drifting. It sounds more like it's in your head if you know what I mean?
I'm mainly thinking of the song Love's Secret Domain by Coil.

Also, drums altogether, serve as anchors in music. I read an interview with Nick Cave talking about Ghosteen and he said that the album had drums on every track originally, but he chose to remove them to make the songs "float". Quite interesting.

Posts Quantity
The ethnomusicologist in me, but I’ve always thought this quote to ring true.

“The drum is regarded as the oldest musical instrument on Earth. Although the oldest drums found by archaeologists are 8-9 thousand years old, people began inventing and using percussion instruments much, much earlier.

Even monkeys like to beat a rhythm by striking hollow trees, and the rhythmic beating of a mother's heart is the first, most familiar sound that a child hears in the womb.

All around us, the natural world is filled with objects and materials that can be easily used as drums. Thus, percussion instruments are the simplest, most natural instruments on Earth”.

Perhaps this is why people have always responded so intuitively to the rhythm of a drum. The rhythmic beating of a mother's heart is the first, most familiar sound that a child hears in the womb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:I don't feel any of BoC are anywhere close to space. I feel they are grounded, so grounded that they are underground sometimes, amongst the mycelium. Trippy, mystic and dark like the side of our brain we forgot.

This is why I feel that space is the final frontier for their BOC project. There's been a lot of multi-media on space in the 60s/70s/80s, and I think that music that emulates that vibe, bred with the clicky BOC-brand hip-hop drums would create a new direction for them to go.

They always search for a new direction with each album, and this space one is especially viable when you consider that some of their albums are based on old films, whether it be the children educational films of Music or the 70s/80s sci-fi dystopia films of Harvest.

Eagle Minded
Part of me hopes it’s more of a journey to the “heavens” of sorts and not a full on space album. An afterlife post TH, or a limbo.

Dayvan Cowboy
Navaru wrote:Part of me hopes it’s more of a journey to the “heavens” of sorts and not a full on space album. An afterlife post TH, or a limbo.

They're no stranger to that either. Geogaddi might be the best "limbo/afterlife" album I've ever heard. Spirited Away in the form of an IDM album.

Sherbet Head
Space is a good theory for their direction and yeah, would be great. Lets hope it's not their last frontier.

Geogaddi feels like a collection of evil manipulations among mind altering drug use. I don't think it has a solid conscious theme, it's still just a collection of songs and segways that all have their own theme and identities.
I do feel like Alpha and Omega has lots in common with early JMJ which while kinda dated, is some of the spaciest stuff ever made, and still holds up. I'd even go as far as to say that JMJ was the birth of IDM, not the title, that's awful but the style in which the warp artists took. IDM was kinda born from the dance movements and makes you wonder whether artists at the time even connected their music with JMJ's and realised how much he did with that kind of music already.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada