GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Com Truise used to make music more akin to BoC, under (I believe) the Sarin Sunday and Airliner monikers. He used to post on here.

Does anyone have a link to the clip you all are talking about?

Eagle Minded
dp wrote:Com Truise used to make music more akin to BoC, under (I believe) the Sarin Sunday and Airliner monikers. He used to post on here.

look at Adult Swim's instagram post from yesterday with the smiley face.

Eagle Minded
Here's a direct link to the post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGVAQKYg7-O/
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Posts Quantity
dp wrote:Com Truise used to make music more akin to BoC, under (I believe) the Sarin Sunday and Airliner monikers. He used to post on here.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. I haven't heard any of his really old stuff.

I sent the post to a friend who is not an obsessed BoC fan and knows more of the CT discography and he said it sounded more like BoC to him.

Again, this is all just wishful thinking, and considering Ghostly just announced the new rarity release yesterday for CT, maybe it's a tie in.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sounds more like BoC than Com Truise to me. Whoever it is, I'd like to hear more!

Posts Quantity
demo wrote:If it's Com Truise, then it's nice to finally get some progression, I get bored of that guys music very quickly but the thing AS posted sound really good! I also get lorn vibes, excited to see whatever it becomes, but... BoC does feel like a stretch, I hear the comparison, but... I'm not 100% convinced.

I never say anything when Com Truise is brought up, but this finally feels like my opening:

I honestly feel Com Truise is the most overrated electronic act. I admire the sounds he gets from synths, but his arrangements often fall flat. I saw him do a “DJ set” that was just him playing different songs from his albums all the way through. Telefon Tel Aviv did a bangin techno set before CT that also involved live vocals, so there was a major drop-off. I know CT gets a lot of love, and I’ve listened to his albums quite a bunch, but that set really brought out the Tycho-ness of his music.

Sherbet Head
Kinda agree. He's done some nice enough stuff and I say this with no disrespect but there is a difference between an artist making music they naturally make and one that is trying very hard to aim for an aesthetic. I just can't get on with an artist when they seem to be chasing sounds and ultimately trends. While a few will most definitely come up with great music doing so, and I can appreciate those examples with the merit they deserve, I personally, choose to seek out artists who just do the only things their brain will let them.
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
I think the only exception to that is when artists branch off into little sub-genres. Bibio is very BOC inspired, but he takes it in a whole other direction. In fact, Fi came out before Headphase so technically TCH is in debt to Fi. (Granted I prefer TCH, but that's because I prefer BOC's melodic sensibilities over Bibio as much as I like him)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
bibio has grown into his own voice, really rate him. I think he's doing the stuff he would naturally do, just he liked an aesthetic too, his own personality shone through and it's now his own. I don't feel he was doing a BoC at any point, BoC are just known for warbly shit and people get accused of copying when they do some warbles.

Aside from that, Ae's Sign is catalogued as warp cd329, maybe BoC are waiting for 333 or have warp slated too many releases in that gap?

Sherbet Head
Having a lot of CT stuff, Sarin Sunday and Airliner (and of course all available BoC), it sounds like TH.

Turning that Adult Swim smiley face upside down would look like a sky with snow flakes falling. Winter?? :?

Sherbet Head
Well, it does look like an eclipse, to which there is one Dec 14th.
Could be our date? :0

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best-in ... t-18369489

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:Well, it does look like an eclipse, to which there is one Dec 14th.
Could be our date? :0

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best-in ... t-18369489

:lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
It's certainly got the sad VHS tones of Tomorrow's Harvest, but I don't know if I can decide in a few notes. And this is coming from someone whose jumped the gun a lot in the past.

If this does have anything to do with BOC though, maybe we'll get to hear an EP of TH outtakes sometime in the future. Anyone remember when we all thought there was going to be a Harvest Transmission EP?

Eagle Minded
North by North wrote:Having a lot of CT stuff, Sarin Sunday and Airliner (and of course all available BoC), it sounds like TH.

Turning that Adult Swim smiley face upside down would look like a sky with snow flakes falling. Winter?? :?

I remember during the summer people were guessing that the album would come out in the winter, I forget the reasoning why now, however. It's funny, but what if we should be taking stuff more at face value, eg. "Turning that Adult Swim smiley face upside down would look like a sky with snow flakes falling. Winter??". I used to think that David Lynch movies were incredibly complex/coded and that you had to think deeply to understand what he was getting at, but that's not true, he's actually incredibly straight forward. I know that's a little bit of a tangent, but I thought it was cool that you actually "followed directions" from Adult Swim's post.

I realize I'm making a mountain out of a mole-hill, but what else is there to talk about.

Sherbet Head
writetomhatcher wrote:
demo wrote:If it's Com Truise, then it's nice to finally get some progression, I get bored of that guys music very quickly but the thing AS posted sound really good! I also get lorn vibes, excited to see whatever it becomes, but... BoC does feel like a stretch, I hear the comparison, but... I'm not 100% convinced.

I never say anything when Com Truise is brought up, but this finally feels like my opening:

I honestly feel Com Truise is the most overrated electronic act. I admire the sounds he gets from synths, but his arrangements often fall flat. I saw him do a “DJ set” that was just him playing different songs from his albums all the way through. Telefon Tel Aviv did a bangin techno set before CT that also involved live vocals, so there was a major drop-off. I know CT gets a lot of love, and I’ve listened to his albums quite a bunch, but that set really brought out the Tycho-ness of his music.

i've seen him live too, and i actually had the completely opposite impression! i have never heard drums slap so hard live like his. the venue is also notoriously awesome in the sound department though...

Dayvan Cowboy
Davism wrote:
North by North wrote:Having a lot of CT stuff, Sarin Sunday and Airliner (and of course all available BoC), it sounds like TH.

I remember during the summer people were guessing that the album would come out in the winter, I forget the reasoning why now, however. It's funny, but what if we should be taking stuff more at face value, eg. "Turning that Adult Swim smiley face upside down would look like a sky with snow flakes falling. Winter??". I used to think that David Lynch movies were incredibly complex/coded and that you had to think deeply to understand what he was getting at, but that's not true, he's actually incredibly straight forward. I know that's a little bit of a tangent, but I thought it was cool that you actually "followed directions" from Adult Swim's post.

I realize I'm making a mountain out of a mole-hill, but what else is there to talk about.

Well how did the Look Sad Reel compare to this? Was it a snippet of music just like this?

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
Well how did the Look Sad Reel compare to this? Was it a snippet of music just like this?

https://youtu.be/jY3ByVGxmQk
no information at this moment in time

Eagle Minded
I think that the only thing within the video we should really pay attention to is the face, and the VHS style it’s done in. Because Adult Swim has posted “Turn that Smile Upside Down” before without context. The only reasons I think this could be something is because Adult Swim posted it on their instagram story shortly after (why post something on your story if it’s seemingly meaningless?) and because, well, it really really does sound like BoC.
no information at this moment in time

Posts Quantity
“We are in a place we’ve never been in before, so if I can do anything to use the gift of song to help to feed people, to show my love … it is my joy.”

Where are our words with hope?
Oh how we need those words of hope
Not the kind of hope that leaves some of us behind
But the kind of hope that lifts up all humankind

Where is, where is, our love song?
Not a love song between you and I
But a song that will test the universe to the Heaven’s eye

phpBB [media]

You say you're sick and tired of us protesting
I say, "Not tired enough to make a change"
You say, "Just you hold on"
I say "No way, 'cause we can't put it in the hands of fate"

phpBB [media]

Driving around the outskirts of Edinburgh, drying off in (the) warmth of his plush, silver BMW, Eoin ejects a Stevie Wonder CD out from the car stereo and rummages through his rucksack. ‘You have to hear this. It’s the Mysterious Voices Of Bulgaria – 30 women in traditional dress singing these unbelievable harmonies! It’s the kind of music that is totally divorced from normal music, bit I love it. It resets my clock.’

Surely drugs must have inspired such weirdness? Boards of Canada – typically – disagree. ‘We want to reiterate this,’ says Sandison. ‘This isn’t drug music. I’ve always imagined it as daytime music: it’s a beautiful day, in the middle of the afternoon, and you’re with your friends listening to twisty music’.

Mike Sandison once had a dream that he was in Edinburgh, near the castle. All the stonework of the buildings and the roads were covered in flowerbeds sown with a tapestry of bright flowers in concentric patterns. ‘It was the most amazing thing, and it stuck with me for ages. It made me think: there’s nowhere in the world like this! Nowhere at all! So I thought we should try and make tunes that people in that town would be listening to’.

To myself: to explaining the long gaps between releases. ‘Someone wrote that we smoke too much and that’s why we the music takes so long’ splutter’s Sandison. ‘They have no idea!’ The fact is that, like the countryside itself, Boards Of Canada can’t be rushed. The gentle, ageless beauty of their art is the result of months and years of evolution; and of constant, backbreaking work which brooks no metropolitan distraction.

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Breaking_Into_Heaven (January 2001 interview)

Dayvan Cowboy
I like when you do posts like this Hope Keeper! Just really fun to read :D

There was a quote that I read recently while perusing those interviews that really stood out to me concerning their process:

"As they're at pains to point out, the long gaps between releases aren't because they're lazy or aloof, it's because of the perfectionism of their craft. Six months of 2005 alone were spent on post-producing the album to get idea-germs into a state they call finished."

I almost want to think that this banner was a sign that they're starting this "post-producing" process or even nearing the end of it. That's why we've been seeing more likes, the banner, mysterious ????? releases and even weird BOC like phenomena in AMKS and Adult Swim.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada