Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Now available on Spotify and (presumably) other streaming services: a Victrola compilation, including not only Maritime Tatami and Game of Despair, but a bunch of previously unreleased tracks and demos from the 80s.

Great stuff; makes me wonder why Victrola stopped recording. Also glad that the Societas X Tape is renewing interest in so many artists that were forgotten or lost to time.

https://victrola-messina.bandcamp.com/a ... -the-water

Friendly Stranger
I always heard the swine flu section as, "Get a shot of protection...[and be] ill..."
ɪɲ ʕʰɘɼɾʏ ɟȺɱɨʟʮ

"My world is your dreamworld, and vice versa. However, and as discussed, the two worlds are coming together apace. [78103301]"

"Dazzled or enlightened, he tries to understand and, at times, to expand the rules of a game he never asked to take part in, and that he is not allowed to renounce."

Dayvan Cowboy
theconiferoust wrote:I always heard the swine flu section as, "Get a shot of protection...[and be] ill..."

Oh snap, anti-vaccine conspiracy haha

Which unfortunately fits with the vaccine conspiracy theories now
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Friendly Stranger
Also, as far as campfires go, this'll do just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... KknUgl9SCU
ɪɲ ʕʰɘɼɾʏ ɟȺɱɨʟʮ

"My world is your dreamworld, and vice versa. However, and as discussed, the two worlds are coming together apace. [78103301]"

"Dazzled or enlightened, he tries to understand and, at times, to expand the rules of a game he never asked to take part in, and that he is not allowed to renounce."

Dayvan Cowboy
It's almost definitely not, but the unidentified ambient piece at 1:51:45 really sounds like something Tetsu Inoue would have made.

It would be absolutely wild if BoC had unreleased Tetsu Inoue music lol

Sherbet Head
Say, am I just going a bit nuts over here or does it really seem as though their choice of samples in a few of the "old tunes-y" interlude tracks around the middle of the tape could be interpreted as little coded messages from BoC? This is all very speculative, but allow me to elaborate further:

-"Thank You For Not Smoking" ties back into things they've said in interviews about how people shouldn't have to get high to enjoy music. Then again, it could also be adding to the sort of "airport-like" atmosphere of the unidentified background music (planes and flying are a recurring BoC motif) or just continuing the general "health" theme of the swine flu shot interlude that immediately precedes it.

-I touched on this back when the tape was new, but the Orange Juice interlude could easily be interpreted as a somewhat-friendly jab at all the fake BoC tracks that have popped up over the years. Just listen to the dialogue but replace oranges with instruments/production techniques, orange juice with music, and Minute Maid with BoC. "You can't make BoC just by copying a few aspects of it" is the first take-away, and "If it's Minute Maid, there's no doubt about it" could be analogous to "When you hear our actual work, you won't have even the little shreds of doubt that appear when you're listening to even the most convincing fakes".

-Finally, I'd like to focus on the Wind Tunnel interlude. The "fearful forces [plotting] their pattern by proxy" could be BoC themselves, looking to use the reaction to this tape as a sort of barometer to decide whether a more eclectic mix of sounds would be a good fit for the next album. Sort of looking at how fans react to the various types of music and how many of those they could get away with incorporating, know what I mean? This one is by far the most speculative and we won't be able to tell for sure if it's the case until we hear whatever they end up doing next, but as the interlude itself says: "One day, we shall know..." :P
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:-I touched on this back when the tape was new, but the Orange Juice interlude could easily be interpreted as a somewhat-friendly jab at all the fake BoC tracks that have popped up over the years. Just listen to the dialogue but replace oranges with instruments/production techniques, orange juice with music, and Minute Maid with BoC. "You can't make BoC just by copying a few aspects of it" is the first take-away, and "If it's Minute Maid, there's no doubt about it" could be analogous to "When you hear our actual work, you won't have even the little shreds of doubt that appear when you're listening to even the most convincing fakes".

I interpreted the bit about "mixing the juice of different oranges" to be a reference to the fact that it's a mixtape.

Also I think Doxa Sinistra ending with "give it a bit longer," followed by "Five! Your choice!" could be a cheeky message about waiting for their fifth album.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:I interpreted the bit about "mixing the juice of different oranges" to be a reference to the fact that it's a mixtape.

Ah, that makes sense too. The simplest answer usually ends up being the true one, after all!

SamuraiDrifter wrote:Also I think Doxa Sinistra ending with "give it a bit longer," followed by "Five! Your choice!" could be a cheeky message about waiting for their fifth album.

Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot to mention that one! Yep, I definitely agree with your interpretation there haha
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

New Seed
Can anyone help me figure out the time signature of Doxa Sinstra - The Other Stranger please? I think it might be 5/4 but I cant work out

Dayvan Cowboy
xolotl wrote:Can anyone help me figure out the time signature of Doxa Sinstra - The Other Stranger please? I think it might be 5/4 but I cant work out

Best I can figure it's in 11/4, or alternating 5 and 6. It's tricky for sure.

Friendly Stranger
SamuraiDrifter wrote:It's almost definitely not, but the unidentified ambient piece at 1:51:45 really sounds like something Tetsu Inoue would have made.

It would be absolutely wild if BoC had unreleased Tetsu Inoue music lol

Do you have an example of what you are referring to, I'd be interested to get into their work.

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
xolotl wrote:Can anyone help me figure out the time signature of Doxa Sinstra - The Other Stranger please? I think it might be 5/4 but I cant work out

Best I can figure it's in 11/4, or alternating 5 and 6. It's tricky for sure.

Didn't think it would be so hard to count this out but I'm with you here.

Been recently revisiting the mixtape, I've now been somehow convinced that unidentified pieces must be their or from their friends. Some library or ambient music buff must have had found something by now.

Posts Quantity
Sinking Ships retrospective compilation released this week on bandcamp: https://sinkingships1980.bandcamp.com/a ... er-stories

Dayvan Cowboy
Every time I hear this song I think how well it would have fit into the Societas X Tape (at least the first 90sec of it)

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
outhudd wrote:Sinking Ships retrospective compilation released this week on bandcamp: https://sinkingships1980.bandcamp.com/a ... er-stories

Awesome! One thing that was great about Societas X was that it revived enough interest in some of these old groups to inspire reissues.

Posts Quantity
Classic tune that Claudja Barry one

Eagle Minded
Hi,

I don't know if anyone has found this yet. But at the end of the NTS mix there is the whole 'dive into purple seeds...Warp 30 on NTS...

https://youtu.be/LXV1dsx5yfs?t=7204

wELL the melody in the background is from the Wendy Carlos Tron soundtrack. We know that they've mentioned Wendy's influence in the past. Dunno who created this little snippet though.

https://youtu.be/P5RcNuQXuR4?t=122

Boqurant
this one reminds me of the unknown fretless bass track

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
Unidentified Kevin Shields Type track is lullaby by Taylor Laire

https://tlaire.bandcamp.com/track/lullaby

Amazing housey ambient stuff. Check it all out.

Sherbet Head
Moz wrote:Unidentified Kevin Shields Type track is lullaby by Taylor Laire

https://tlaire.bandcamp.com/track/lullaby

Amazing housey ambient stuff. Check it all out.

Well I'll be damned, someone finally found another one after all this time! Nice work, how'd ya do it?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada