GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Last night I dreamt the box set was announced. I think I need some time out.

Eagle Minded
https://bleep.com/release/214727-stereo ... n-volume-4

Looks like Warp are coming out with a Stereolab rarities comp, which potentially solves the "excludes pre-orders" mystery.

If we don't hear anything on the 22nd I think I'll go into hibernation :lol:

Friendly Stranger
You guys have it all wrong.
You have to use reverse psychology with BoC, you have to tempt fate.

Hahaha no one thinks that it will be the 22nd, what a hideously ridiculous idea.
Do we *really* think they could pull their shit together in such a short space of time?
Knowing them, it will take at least another ten years because, honestly, they are scared.

They are scared of releasing another album and a bocset isn't immediately on the horizon either.

General new release disappointment thread, amirite?
If they release something on the 22nd, which they won't, I will lick your turquoise hexagon bum.

Okay, so now we wait... The hook has been baited.

Posts Quantity
darekH wrote:You guys have it all wrong.

Hahaha no one thinks that it will be the 22nd, what a hideously ridiculous idea.
Do we *really* think they could pull their shit together in such a short space of time?
Knowing them, it will take at least another ten years because, honestly, they are scared.

They are scared of releasing another album and a bocset isn't immediately on the horizon either.

If they release something on the 22nd, which they won't, I will lick your turquoise hexagon bum.

you at least gave me a good laugh
chronical wrote:Robots doing robot things

Dayvan Cowboy
darekH wrote:

The thing I agree with here is they probably feel pressure from creating one of the most praised electronica albums of all time. I know I would be. They pretend they don't read the reviews but I'm sure they've peeked at them. They are human after all.

That said, the Stereolab release seems to be on a different record label in addition to Warp. It's not showing up on the Warp releases page or the Beatink releases page. So perhaps, it's not an official release in the Warp catalog and they're simply helping publishing it.

Evian Christ (Warp artist) on the other hand, also has a single released today. That is showing up on the Warp releases on Bleep.com. Perhaps rather than BOC who people view as the second coming of Christ, we're getting an actual coming of Christ. :lol: Though, to be fair, singles don't seem to affect when things are actually released. Darkstar released a single in Febuary and their album was released in the summer.

The placeholder is still there and I still feel that's relevant.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Friendly Stranger
darekH wrote:You guys have it all wrong.

Strange energy you got there going on man.
I agree it may be a far reach. But speculation is fun and more importantly something to look forward to (without expectations), at least for some people.

I like to read the thoughts of everyone posting on here, it’s something to keep my mind off other things. With that being said, please! Keep reaching and keep discussing, I enjoy it. Echelon, especially you.

Oh. And saying there won’t be a release holds the same value as saying there will be, because you don’t know at the end, it’s not about the goal, its about the journey.

Take care guys

Dayvan Cowboy
frankixus wrote:
I like to read the thoughts of everyone posting on here, it’s something to keep my mind off other things. With that being said, please! Keep reaching and keep discussing, I enjoy it. Echelon, especially you.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. It's really fun to try to figure these things out. When I have spare time in the morning, I look into it.

I've burned out musically on BOC and need some new blood from them, but honestly that doesn't stop me from having fun speculating and making people feel hopeful. I love this community :D

Boqurant
Sherbet Head wrote:
Looks like Warp are coming out with a Stereolab rarities comp, which potentially solves the "excludes pre-orders" mystery.

If this is how they make a meal out of old work from Stereolab, imagine what they'll do for BOC.

Whatever comes next from the brothers Sandison, I expect Warp and Bleep to milk it to the nines.

Friendly Stranger
Just to let you guys know that was almost entirely sarcastic and I have enjoyed reading this thread for the past however many years.

Dayvan Cowboy
darekH wrote:Just to let you guys know that was almost entirely sarcastic and I have enjoyed reading this thread for the past however many years.

I had no issue with it even if it wasn't sarcastic. It's ok to approach this band with cynicism. They've delivered a lot less than Aphex in the last decade, who to his credit, is still continuing to explore the world of sound more openly. (And I give him a lot of credit for that since he's not resting on his laurels as much as our favorite bros.)

The Stereolab rarity release is now in the spotlight on Warp.net so I think that might cancel out Jan 22nd. Still hoping that's not the case, but I think the rarity compilation is the first big release of 2021.

But hey, perhaps this is going to be a year of rarity releases. You never know 8) And that still doesn't explain why our friend MDG popped in here, considering he usually only does that when something is happening. I remember him telling me about two years ago in 2019 that he didn't have much time to come on here so whatever it is, it must be important.

Posts Quantity
The promise of the next album not being as big a wait as the last doesn't necessarily hold a lot of weight for me - its what was believed at the time it was said, MBV promised a new album in 2019 and that never happened, things pop up in life, stuff gets put on hold it's just life really.

I'm staying optimistic and hoping that the lockdowns and challenges we've all faced have given the brothers the perfect opportunity to piece together whatever they've got bubbling in that caldron at Hexagon sun, either that or they're stuck on different continents and cant get any work done while their now probably teenage children are using all their bandwidth to learn GCSE sciences on zoom :lol:

Anyway, if my demands for a release on 12022021 aren't met then I'll be writing a strongly worded letter to my local MP

Posts Quantity
We are one week away from 1/22/21. After almost a full two months of radio silence from their social media platforms (after an uncharacteristically high frequency of transmissions last year). If we don’t hear anything next Friday, then we’ll just have to settle back into limbo. I just can’t help but take those likes of comments like “Is a new album coming out soon?” at face value—something has got to be coming down the pike.

Posts Quantity
Can someone remind me why did we settle on that 22/01 date? Is it only because of Pioneer 10 last transmission? Or were there other clues?

Eagle Minded
It’s also the date of the first commercial flight taken by a 747, and almost the same distance between TCH and TH. It’s 70 days from Nov 13th, which is when Mars left retrograde (it entered in sept 9th, they posted an IG video that day). It’s also the day Roe vs Wade was decided, Music has the right to not have children.

Posts Quantity
1/22 also marks the amount of days between TCH and TH since TH has released. Based on an mdg comment that BOC wouldn’t make fans wait longer than we did for TH to come out. (Funny A:B::B:C math there, if true.) I recall PsychedelicSunset420 first looked into this. Another other details I missed?

Edit: Novaru covers this question with more precision on the post before this!

Eagle Minded
A reason to employ cautious optimism: the 22nd is a Friday, and Warp doesn't typically announce new releases on a Friday.

I suppose if anyone on Warp's roster could make them "bend the rules" it'd be BoC, but it's still enough of a reason to remain sceptical.

Another possible counter-argument is that it could mean we'll get a surprise release, which seems to be somewhat of a trend in recent years. This essentially involves an album/EP hitting streaming services at midnight with no prior announcement. BoC already went down the drawn-out cryptic route with Tomorrow's Harvest, so perhaps they'd be willing to try out something at the complete opposite end of the spectrum?

But who knows, perhaps the date will mark the end of their radio silence in some other way, or it could reveal the second piece of the puzzle?

Dayvan Cowboy
I think, it would be smart to wait until april and announce it arround rsd, to release in summer. Tho, I would a winter album from them.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:Another possible counter-argument is that it could mean we'll get a surprise release, which seems to be somewhat of a trend in recent years. This essentially involves an album/EP hitting streaming services at midnight with no prior announcement. BoC already went down the drawn-out cryptic route with Tomorrow's Harvest, so perhaps they'd be willing to try out something at the complete opposite end of the spectrum?

This goes hand-in-hand with a final transmission. They could drop it and go, "Bye guys. It's been fun. We're getting out of here!"

I mean, last year, we got the surprise green oil emission album from Autechre. And before people go, "We already knew that the green album was coming," we basically know that something new is coming from BOC too.

Posts Quantity
Can anyone tell me why the Atalanta Fugiens channel in my YouTube favorites has a blue dot next to it? That means there should be some new content, some change. Anyone else see this? Notice any changes? Anything embedded in the Julie and Candy video?

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:Can anyone tell me why the Atalanta Fugiens channel in my YouTube favorites has a blue dot next to it? That means there should be some new content, some change. Anyone else see this? Notice any changes? Anything embedded in the Julie and Candy video?

Could be a private video? YouTubes notification system is really bugged, so it could be really anything, or nothing at all. I’m not sure if you upload a private video, if it will then still show activity on the channel. My guess is bug or private video tho.
no information at this moment in time

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada