New remix of Nevermen

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
writetomhatcher wrote:
Also, that distorted synth at 1:02...anyone getting that Cold Earth crashing synth (at 1:54 of Cold Earth) vibe? There's no delay on it, but they use the synth in the same way, as it crashes into the track. "Dreamin like a prostitute" BA DA BA DING DA BA ("yeah, that's right!"). After all they did say they spent like $10k on that synth, and it only made that 1 second moment in Cold Earth!

Great observation! I never noticed that before.
Now that I hear it it really does sound like something "crashing". Really makes you appreciate how much detail they put into their work, doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
Wildfire wrote:
Biznasty wrote:
Wildfire wrote:Really trying to enjoy this but I just can't. Bland and uninspiring. I think I preferred the mystery of radio silence.

Go listen to Magic Window then, fucker.

Wow, why the animosity? I was just speaking my mind. I'm a diehard BOC fan, bought the original Hi Scores EP on the day of release in 1996 and haven't looked back since. But that doesn't mean I can't not like some of their stuff. Chill on the aggressiveness.

I was kidding with my actual response there but I thought it was a bit harsh to say that you preferred them not releasing anything... Like it's one thing to say you don't like it but to say you'd rather them not post anything... Ouch.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Dayvan Cowboy
The best thing about all these Nevermen remixes is it made me look into Mike Patton. Bought all the classic Bungle albums and his first with Faith No More. Can't wait to hear them!
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
NTFMTS wrote:Anyone else get strong Aquarius vibes from this remix?

oh absolutely! that's the first thing i thought of when i heard it.

Eagle Minded
It totally has the same vibe. Also @ the people on reddit complaining about the remix being creepy... BoC are genuinely creepy all the time. MHTRTC is nightmarish all the way through, esp the title! Even TCH, with it being a bit more dream-like, almost all of the melodies are still pretty depressing and dark.

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:It totally has the same vibe. Also @ the people on reddit complaining about the remix being creepy... BoC are genuinely creepy all the time. MHTRTC is nightmarish all the way through, esp the title! Even TCH, with it being a bit more dream-like, almost all of the melodies are still pretty depressing and dark.

I hope those people realize that it's not their lyrics. BOC's instrumentation provides the commentary to the Nevermen's lyrics.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:The best thing about all these Nevermen remixes is it made me look into Mike Patton. Bought all the classic Bungle albums and his first with Faith No More. Can't wait to hear them!

His first effort with FNM is ok, but the magic really starts from the following album onwards.

IIRC, The Real Thing had already been written prior to Patton joining - he simply turned up to do the vocals. Angel Dust was their first real collaboration and it's generally regarded to be their best album... and I'm inclined to agree. :D

The Bungle discography is all over the place. It's mostly brilliant though!

Eagle Minded
Biznasty wrote:I was kidding with my actual response there but I thought it was a bit harsh to say that you preferred them not releasing anything... Like it's one thing to say you don't like it but to say you'd rather them not post anything... Ouch.

I'd rather have an empty bucket than a bucket with a turd in it. (also partially kidding).

Eagle Minded
Wildfire wrote:
Biznasty wrote:I was kidding with my actual response there but I thought it was a bit harsh to say that you preferred them not releasing anything... Like it's one thing to say you don't like it but to say you'd rather them not post anything... Ouch.

I'd rather have an empty bucket than a bucket with a turd in it. (also partially kidding).

At least a turd could be used as fertilizer... You can't do anything with an empty bucket! :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:
Echelon wrote:The best thing about all these Nevermen remixes is it made me look into Mike Patton. Bought all the classic Bungle albums and his first with Faith No More. Can't wait to hear them!

His first effort with FNM is ok, but the magic really starts from the following album onwards.

IIRC, The Real Thing had already been written prior to Patton joining - he simply turned up to do the vocals. Angel Dust was their first real collaboration and it's generally regarded to be their best album... and I'm inclined to agree. :D

Based on this comment, I decided to pick up Angel Dust and King For A Day too. Patton is one of the few corners of art-rock that I haven't explored so I'm excited

If he's BOC endorsed, that makes him all the better to hear!

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
Sherbet Head wrote:

Based on this comment, I decided to pick up Angel Dust and King For A Day too. Patton is one of the few corners of art-rock that I haven't explored so I'm excited

If he's BOC endorsed, that makes him all the better to hear!

Strong move, my dude!

KFAD is my second favourite. It doesn't quite have the experimentation of Angel Dust, but it's still a solid, hard-hitting record.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:Strong move, my dude!

KFAD is my second favourite. It doesn't quite have the experimentation of Angel Dust, but it's still a solid, hard-hitting record.

I figured those three FNM albums and the three major label Bungles are the best overview of the 90s Patton.

Got Disco Valante today, so excited for my first Patton experience! Apparently one of the crown jewels in his legend!

On topic, I have a question. Does anyone believe the theory that we're treating BOC like prostitutes and this was their statement about that? Like this was a quick cash grab?

I love the song, but the 100 bucks on the turquoise bathroom floor tiles makes me curious what you people think.

To be fair, if this was to finance their future album, I'm all for it.

Posts Quantity
That’s more of a complaint than a theory. Considering Nevermen wrote and recorded the lyrics, and considering the hook is “dreamin like a prostitute,” I don’t think BOC are saying anything to that effect.

Dayvan Cowboy
writetomhatcher wrote:That’s more of a complaint than a theory. Considering Nevermen wrote and recorded the lyrics, and considering the hook is “dreamin like a prostitute,” I don’t think BOC are saying anything to that effect.

Haha it ain't my theory. But some people claim it's phoned in or they did it for cash.

Personally, I love the song from the instant I heard it so none of this applies to me. And lastly, BOC are kind of control freaks with their quality and legacy so I doubt they'd put out a track purely for cash.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:On topic, I have a question. Does anyone believe the theory that we're treating BOC like prostitutes and this was their statement about that? Like this was a quick cash grab?

I love the song, but the 100 bucks on the turquoise bathroom floor tiles makes me curious what you people think.

To be fair, if this was to finance their future album, I'm all for it.

I don't buy it for a second.

If BoC wanted to make a "quick cash grab" (have they literally ever been known to do that?) a remix is possibly the worst way to do it. They're sitting on literally hundreds of unreleased tracks.

Posts Quantity
Both good points. There are better ways for them to make/raise money. I’d say anyone calling the remix a cash grab within the week of it coming out probably haven’t approached the track with any seriousness.

Eagle Minded
I just gotta say the distinct BoC reverb they put on the vocal hook is ear candy. It has this old 70s plate reverb sound that is perfect

Eagle Minded
Biznasty wrote:
Wildfire wrote:

At least a turd could be used as fertilizer... You can't do anything with an empty bucket! :wink:

Lol I'll give you that one.

Dayvan Cowboy
I want BOC to remix the whole Nevermen album if they're not going to release one themselves. They should simply produce a whole album for their friends so we get to enjoy the ear candy for longer than 4 minutes! ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada