GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:Just for reference their monthly Spotify listeners:
- Boards of Canada: 861K
- Nightmares on Wax: 1.4M

now try listeners per album, lol
yes, i would love to be free!

NorthSaturnian wrote:

Well yes, NoW has a larger discography, but does it really matter when you take into account the calculation method of Spotify's monthly listener metric? It just measures listeners who play an artist's music, regardless of which album it is, afaik.

Monthly listeners: Unique listeners who play your music during a 28-day period
For monthly listeners, we use a rolling window of 28 days because the number of days in a calendar month varies.
People listen differently on different days of the week. Using a window of 28 days means we always include an equal number of each day (i.e. the same number of Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc.).

Your monthly listeners stat updates every day and shows on your artist profile
Monthly listeners data is great for learning how your music performs over longer periods of time

So yes, NoW is the big winner here with over over 1.4M people listening his music on monthly basis.

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:
NorthSaturnian wrote:

Well yes, NoW has a larger discography, but does it really matter when you take into account the calculation method of Spotify's monthly listener metric? It just measures listeners who play an artist's music, regardless of which album it is, afaik.

Monthly listeners: Unique listeners who play your music during a 28-day period
For monthly listeners, we use a rolling window of 28 days because the number of days in a calendar month varies.
People listen differently on different days of the week. Using a window of 28 days means we always include an equal number of each day (i.e. the same number of Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc.).

Your monthly listeners stat updates every day and shows on your artist profile
Monthly listeners data is great for learning how your music performs over longer periods of time

So yes, NoW is the big winner here with over over 1.4M people listening his music on monthly basis.

pity. :(

any space related dates for november and december?
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
NorthSaturnian wrote:
Echelon wrote:I honestly think now with the recent announcement of Nightmare on Wax being the big October album that we probably won't get a new BOC this year....unless there's a surprise announcement in December and a release in Jan/Feb

i thought the same thing. it makes me worry that next year warp are gonna go "right, so we can release it now or wait a few more months and have the 1 decade publicity thing going. better wait"

Kind of agree, one time per 1 decade, souls altering appearance. The far in to the future, the more ground BOC music have to the past.

Dayvan Cowboy
Pioneer plaque upload anniversary tomorrow so keep your eyes peeled people! :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Bummer. I like Nightmares on Wax fine, but he hasn't dropped anything particularly noteworthy to me in over a decade.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Pioneer plaque upload anniversary tomorrow so keep your eyes peeled people! :D

I forgot about that. if Warp actually do something, I'll get a hexagon tattoo in celebration :lol:

But yeah, Warp are clearing alternating between "IDM" years and "Hey we make cool music for cool hip people" years
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
i wouldn't get too carried away with this "space theme" theory

personally i highly doubt we will ever see such a cut and dry themed album from Boards of Canada

in my opinion the Pioneer Plaque is probably more of interest to them due to the human behaviour aspect of it rather than focusing on space, and if it was somewhat centered on space i still think there would be another layer of Boardsian spin on it, like another step back looking at the reasons why we would make the Pioneer Plaque.. or something like that, i just can't see them ever doing an obvious space album thats actually about galaxies and shit lol. like, maybe somewhat but never a full blown space odyssey, there will always be some crazy trippy layering to it with cryptic satanic shit and occult references and all that beautiful stuff.

uknowhatimsayin¿
"R-Worded"

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Pioneer plaque upload anniversary tomorrow so keep your eyes peeled people! :D

I forgot about that. if Warp actually do something, I'll get a hexagon tattoo in celebration :lol:

You will get it tattooed :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
ColinWallis wrote:i wouldn't get too carried away with this "space theme" theory

personally i highly doubt we will ever see such a cut and dry themed album from Boards of Canada

in my opinion the Pioneer Plaque is probably more of interest to them due to the human behaviour aspect of it rather than focusing on space, and if it was somewhat centered on space i still think there would be another layer of Boardsian spin on it, like another step back looking at the reasons why we would make the Pioneer Plaque.. or something like that, i just can't see them ever doing an obvious space album thats actually about galaxies and shit lol. like, maybe somewhat but never a full blown space odyssey, there will always be some crazy trippy layering to it with cryptic satanic shit and occult references and all that beautiful stuff.

uknowhatimsayin¿

Yeah I totally agree with this.

And the idea that the album will be space-themed because "humanity goes into space to escape Earth after the apocalypse that TH was about" is just silly I think. If you read their interviews and their book recommendations it's pretty clear... They don't think humanity is escaping to space. They think we're fucked. Haha.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:

But yeah, Warp are clearing alternating between "IDM" years and "Hey we make cool music for cool hip people" years

To be honest, I've been nothing but impressed with their roster since the beginning. The fact that they got Battles on their label was genius, and that was not IDM at all, just an incredibly talented band. Same with Squid and other artists like Death Grips. I think the variety only enhances the label, and giving genius musicians the ability to expand their vision into something more comprehensive and unique would be better than younger artists being slung through the same indie rock label muck or repurposed as a new version of rock band that came out in the 70s. Sorry for the run-on sentence lol.

Eagle Minded
NTFMTS wrote:
Echelon wrote:

To be honest, I've been nothing but impressed with their roster since the beginning. The fact that they got Battles on their label was genius, and that was not IDM at all, just an incredibly talented band. Same with Squid and other artists like Death Grips. I think the variety only enhances the label, and giving genius musicians the ability to expand their vision into something more comprehensive and unique would be better than younger artists being slung through the same indie rock label muck or repurposed as a new version of rock band that came out in the 70s. Sorry for the run-on sentence lol.

I don't really like the gatekeeping of warp as just an electronic label. They've always been on the cutting edge of music and that's what they strive to be, wether it's been electronic music or math rock or industrial hip hop. Yes, they definitely were on the cutting edge of electronic music back in the 90s, but i think it's fair for them to expand their horizons. if they only stuck to IDM, the output of the label would be a lot more stale right now.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
I think that the greatest work on the label was electronic music, but that's simply my opinion and feel free to disagree. My post was more a lament for the lack of IDM this year though. Only a Flylo Soundtrack and a limited edition Bibio release. Small goodies compared to the treasures of twenty-twenty.

Battles are a fun band. They sound like what would happen if you dropped eighties King Crimson on its head.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Battles are a fun band. They sound like what would happen if you dropped eighties King Crimson on its head.

Perfect description.

Posts Quantity
Doubt we'll see a release before 2023
1986 Summer Fire

Dayvan Cowboy
Quadrivium wrote:Doubt we'll see a release before 2023

I heard a fascinating story about how the 'blitz spirit' was invented after world war two with perspective on the war, so maybe a month or a year or two down the line when we have a new album we'll look back at these posts in general new release and see if there was any optimism. i have been looking at this thread in the months leading up to tommorows harvest and we were all fairly sure something was just around the corner, are our opinions the same or different? :|

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
Quadrivium wrote:Doubt we'll see a release before 2023

I heard a fascinating story about how the 'blitz spirit' was invented after world war two with perspective on the war, so maybe a month or a year or two down the line when we have a new album we'll look back at these posts in general new release and see if there was any optimism. i have been looking at this thread in the months leading up to tommorows harvest and we were all fairly sure something was just around the corner, are our opinions the same or different? :|

Same. I think we all participate in this nutrition hunger game. Tho, in my opinion, BOC are who risk everything, we just wait and see what will come from all of this.

Friendly Stranger
https://twitter.com/residentmusic/status/1435195553801977857

Probably a shot in the dark again, but this seems to indicate three separate announcements coming today.
One is definately for Radiohead's Kid Amnesiac, but you never know. :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
ihmeauto wrote:https://twitter.com/residentmusic/status/1435195553801977857
:}
Probably a shot in the dark again, but this seems to indicate three separate announcements coming today.

This is a stretch but I literally just yesterday on this topic said “keep your eyes peeled people” so either resident music follow twoism or the more probable option of kid Amnesiac (Maybe the latter)
Echelon you might need that tattoo ink! :wink:
Interesting though, Thanks for posting.

Dayvan Cowboy
ihmeauto wrote:https://twitter.com/residentmusic/status/1435195553801977857

What is Resident Music? I assume it doesn't have to do with the guys in the eyeball masks haha

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada