GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:This surprises me too since I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone make a comment akin to "This gives me BoC vibes" elsewhere on the web. I haven't listened to NoW in ages, probably not since "In A Space Outta Sound" when I was in high school. I would say not releasing an album in 8 years takes a hit, but Broadcast sits at 396k monthly listeners, which is equidistant between BoC and NoW.

I'm gonna guess the listens are mostly concentrated on a couple of classic hits, like "You Wish" and "Les Nuits."

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
rodox_head wrote:This surprises me too since I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone make a comment akin to "This gives me BoC vibes" elsewhere on the web. I haven't listened to NoW in ages, probably not since "In A Space Outta Sound" when I was in high school. I would say not releasing an album in 8 years takes a hit, but Broadcast sits at 396k monthly listeners, which is equidistant between BoC and NoW.

I'm gonna guess the listens are mostly concentrated on a couple of classic hits, like "You Wish" and "Les Nuits."

You Wish: 51.5 mil
Les Nuits: 23.4 mil

Roygbiv: 21.8 mil
Dayvan Cowboy: 20.1 mil
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

You Wish: 51.5 mil
Les Nuits: 23.4 mil

Roygbiv: 21.8 mil
Dayvan Cowboy: 20.1 mil

It’s strange since I’ve been listening to NoW and BoC a fare amount recently (I guess the new single has sparked my interest) I got into nightmares at the same time as our brothers sandison, but I can’t name half as much of his song titles. BoC is part of warp records ‘electronic three’ (Aphex Twin, BOC, autechre) But yet nightmares has more streams :? (Not a bad thing tho)
I agree that the big hits take up a majority

Dayvan Cowboy
Keep in mind, though, Spotify isn't the definitive measure of how popular an artist is - people have different listening habits on different mediums.

On last.fm, BOC have 1.5 million listeners, where NoW has 965k.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:On last.fm, BOC have 1.5 million listeners, where NoW has 965k.

Yeah I agree. Id probably bet that at least half of those BOC streams are us avid fans on twoism replaying the old material before a (hopeful) new one drops :D

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Keep in mind, though, Spotify isn't the definitive measure of how popular an artist is - people have different listening habits on different mediums.

I suspect something like that as well. Spotify greatly emphasizes playlists and shuffle play, something I almost never do with BoC myself. I usually listen to them in chunks at the least, if not a whole album.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Keep in mind, though, Spotify isn't the definitive measure of how popular an artist is - people have different listening habits on different mediums.

I suspect something like that as well. Spotify greatly emphasizes playlists and shuffle play, something I almost never do with BoC myself. I usually listen to them in chunks at the least, if not a whole album.

That’s the thing I love about their projects is that they are semi-concept albums, exploring a mood instead of a story. I usually can’t just plonk on a song, its an entirety thing for me.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
rodox_head wrote:

That’s the thing I love about their projects is that they are semi-concept albums, exploring a mood instead of a story. I usually can’t just plonk on a song, its an entirety thing for me.

Sometimes you have one of those days where you just gotta listen to "I Saw Drones" on loop for an hour.

Friendly Stranger
tumuli_stump_jumper wrote:
pilot12 wrote:
tumuli_stump_jumper wrote:One from the archive to fill the big gaping hole...

Sarin Sunday (ComTruise) The Lonely Hike
https://archive.org/details/AH013_sarin_sunday_-_the_lonely_hike/
I love Sarin Sunday and I think it has to be some of com trues’s better works. I’ve actually got three sarin Sunday projects on my hard drive. They are all great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance you have links to uploads of the other 2 projects??? :D I love his early works!!
Sure! I have the files on my computer at home and I could send them to you but I'm not sure what I should use. I could probably send them to you on discord or something of the like.

Dayvan Cowboy
That endlessly rising and falling looping synth in I saw drones is something I could listen to without pause!

Dayvan Cowboy
Kinda sucks the blocks for the quarter are filled. Neither Mira nor Nightmares are groups I listen to, unless they are the fantastic BOC remix in Calix's case. I'm sure fans are happy and good for them, but I'll definitely be taking a break from Warp for the fall.

Oh well...at least last fall was IDM heaven :D
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Friendly Stranger
Orbited insanitarium wrote:That endlessly rising and falling looping synth in I saw drones is something I could listen to without pause!
https://youtu.be/iW_mGgxz2lQ I could let this version especially go on for hours.

Dayvan Cowboy
Wow Oneohtrix Point Never got a collab with Cocteau Twins Elizabeth Fraser before BOC. At least publically. I'm sure BOC and CT got together at some point and made some secret tunes.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
I bet NoW finds themselves on pandora/spotify stations being played at coffee shops, boutiques, et al a lot more than BoC ever does.

Eagle Minded
New tweet :o
yes, i would love to be free!

Eagle Minded
New Instagram post.

Friendly Stranger

Eagle Minded
I love how I'm typically calm and collected, no rush, I'm okay with Boards taking their time to work on a new album...

But the moment there is activity BAM, the cravings start, I begin to crave a new lp

BoC is like crack, their social media activity causes me to have withdrawals

Eagle Minded
9+14=23

Posts Quantity
I'm pretty sure they're going to be doing something more funky for the next release, and a bit like their 1996 stuff too. Hopefully the sounds of children will return as well.
Fly!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada