Welcome to Western Massachusetts

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Prior to Covid, I spent nearly a decade in a band in the local music scene that has been built around Umass, Hampshire College and the rest of the Pioneer Valley’s Universities (The Pixies formed their band in the very same dorm room I moved into at Umass). Also the Valley is home to Dinosaur Jr.

Growing and building influence in the area and touring a bunch, I met all sorts of crazy musicians, but I’d like to focus on “Wmass.” It’s a vibrant and sprawling scene and I thought it’d be neat to share it with twoism.

Granted some of the artists have moved on to different places, they originated in the Pioneer Valley.

Guerilla Toss: Psychedelic Avante-Funk Punk craziness w some Brian Eno influence. Some members might know about them already. They’re wild live!
phpBB [media]

Tundrastomper: On hiatus, insane trippy all over the place proggy punk music, musical virtuosos featuring one of the greatest drummers / / musicians I’ve ever met (Zach Hill tier insanity).
phpBB [media]

Carinae: Textural, Psychedelic Groovey Rock, very 60’s / 70s vibes
phpBB [media]

OroborO: heavy, bizarro noisey rock, with an incredible girl singer. (Yes I’m promoting my band lol). For fans of Qotsa, Primus, St. Vincent.
phpBB [media]

Wishbone Zoe: Psychedelic abstract genius weirdness, Animal Collective fans may really love her.
phpBB [media]

Boyfriend Machine: Psychedelic rock band, written by a friend who’s insanely talented and has more projects I can count. Definitely for fans of Tame Impala.
phpBB [media]

Show me the Body: Hardcore punk / noise rock. They have Death Grips vibes. I’m sure a few of you know them.
phpBB [media]

Homebody: Experimental Electronic Trip Hop stuff. Really nice atmosphere. Sometimes reminds me of early Autechre.
https://home-body.bandcamp.com/track/sketch

Snowhaus: Pop Punk with insane chops and another of the best drummers I’ve ever known. Pop Punk is not usually my thing, but they’re incredibly fun live. Filled in for them a few times and their stuff sounds a lot easier to play than it is.
phpBB [media]

There’s so many more to add to this thread, but here’s a few to share. Excuse the occasionally silly music video lol

Dayvan Cowboy
Really like all of these recommendation, very musically diverse, you have good friends! :) here are my thoughts.

Guerilla toss - skull pop
Lots of vibrancy in melody and composition, quite energetic and proggy, superbly mixed. "Kaleidoscopic verse of geometric matrix" is a verse that really stuck out for me, great drum rolls and one of the best music videos i've ever seen!

thundrastomper - how very nice
Chaotic, i can pick out lots of sounds in the mix i like, bass line is having fun!

carinae - making breakfast
Blissful vocals, trippy atmosphere and gorgeous flanger effect on the guitars, i know it's edited but if not i like the fact that the video is kind of one tracking camera shot.

OroboO - lil centipede
Discordant, heavy & progressive. Like a collaboration between iron maiden and kate bush. Long song as well which is great, love that.

Wishbone zoe - here i'm
I can hear the animal collective in this, dense and suprising. like flicking between a tv channel dedicated to confusing short animations i think there's a story but i can't make it out.

Show me the body - forks an knives
Really abrasive deep synth and clattering drums. i like :]

Snowhaus - i ain't scared
Early 2000's American grunge type vibe, quite catchy. Seems like they had lot's of fun making the video.

thank you so much for these! they really are great, be sure to get back to them with my feedback.
Always good to hear new music, thanks again :D

PS: some of these music video's are some of the most creative i've seen!

Dayvan Cowboy
Already a fan of Guerilla Toss and a casual listener of Show Me the Body so I'll definitely check out the other stuff! I can't get enough of psychedelic music and that seems to be the scene's specialty.

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Already a fan of Guerilla Toss and a casual listener of Show Me the Body so I'll definitely check out the other stuff! I can't get enough of psychedelic music and that seems to be the scene's specialty.

That's neat that you know about GT! Yeah Wmass is quite an eclectic music space lol

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Really like all of these recommendation, very musically diverse, you have good friends! :) here are my thoughts.

Guerilla toss - skull pop
Lots of vibrancy in melody and composition, quite energetic and proggy, superbly mixed. "Kaleidoscopic verse of geometric matrix" is a verse that really stuck out for me, great drum rolls and one of the best music videos i've ever seen!

thundrastomper - how very nice
Chaotic, i can pick out lots of sounds in the mix i like, bass line is having fun!

carinae - making breakfast
Blissful vocals, trippy atmosphere and gorgeous flanger effect on the guitars, i know it's edited but if not i like the fact that the video is kind of one tracking camera shot.

OroboO - lil centipede
Discordant, heavy & progressive. Like a collaboration between iron maiden and kate bush. Long song as well which is great, love that.

Wishbone zoe - here i'm
I can hear the animal collective in this, dense and suprising. like flicking between a tv channel dedicated to confusing short animations i think there's a story but i can't make it out.

Show me the body - forks an knives
Really abrasive deep synth and clattering drums. i like :]

Snowhaus - i ain't scared
Early 2000's American grunge type vibe, quite catchy. Seems like they had lot's of fun making the video.

thank you so much for these! they really are great, be sure to get back to them with my feedback.
Always good to hear new music, thanks again :D

PS: some of these music video's are some of the most creative i've seen!

Thanks for all of your input! Will make sure to send that down the pipeline of music people - I'm glad you dig the tunes!

Boqurant
Great Post Man!
Awesome music overall.
I’ve been tripping on Guerilla Toss these last days, never heard of them before.
Your band is great too, came across it once and gave it a few listens.
Thank You!

Eagle Minded
UnknownUnnamed wrote:Great Post Man!
Awesome music overall.
I’ve been tripping on Guerilla Toss these last days, never heard of them before.
Your band is great too, came across it once and gave it a few listens.
Thank You!

Hey thank you!! Yeah Guerilla Toss is fantastic, quite trippy stuff. Glad to share tunes with ya'll :)

Return to This Random Sound