Alan’s funny stories - twoism’s tales of woes and wow’s

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Hello all, as explained in the title and video above, this is a topic dedicated to acerbic story’s of your life, in this thread I hope to ruffle the hair and thank topics like 'the happiness thread'
I’m genuinely interested to what responses I’m going to get back, so post your bizarre recollections, and funny stories here (scrolls down in amazement)
In the words of spike Milligan "we don’t have a plan in life, so nothing can go wrong" :D
Get typing people (or not, it’s not my keyboard) :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
Well, in freshman year of high school I started listening to Boards of Canada, then around senior year I watched this short film, and now I'm the person I am today.
phpBB [media]
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:Well, in freshman year of high school I started listening to Boards of Canada, then around senior year I watched this short film, and now I'm the person I am today.
phpBB [media]

Over the past couple of years I’ve watched quite a few YTP’s (some Michael Rosen & spingbill) and I have to say that people I think under appreciate how much editing is needed when making a YTP collab, those videos are a fascinating side of the internet. Many arthouse clips like that are sheer brilliance.

On a slightly different note, while watching that I spotted quite a few scenes from serial experiments lain,
I have been watching an episode per day continually for the past two weeks (after you mentioned the fantastic soundtrack.)
I’ve just finished episode 10 and there is quite a lot to unpack throughout.
Like most people in the comments I am baffled by how she made an entire cyber/computer laboratory in her room within such a short time frame.
One thing I have been thinking about while watching it though, is the thought about gods only existing even if 1 person believes in them, wether in the wired or in reality, it’s quite philosophical in its later episodes, which I like.
The slow cinema type shots of powerlines to frankly some fantastic visual effects, as well with some quite menacing atmosphere at times.
As someone who hasn’t delved into anime before now, I’m liking this one more and more by each episode! :D

Sometimes you could just need a supercomputer like Navi, but that was 1998 and the closest we have to that now is the big tech billionaires like bezos and Tesla, who are busy shooting William Shatner into space or building super smart cars. Mad! :|

'Let’s love lain' amirite :)

Anyhow here’s a YTP where the editing is off the scale, very original stuff.
phpBB [media]

Edit: I should put a 'babbling ahead' or a spoiler tag for that post for its lengthiness! Glad to get interactions on the playground going, I thought I’d killed it off. It was 'gone for about a week' :D

Dayvan Cowboy
YTPs have a long and rich history behind much of current internet culture, I liken it to a musical genre like Industrial or Dance/Techno where it's evolved in different ways over the years and is also very rebellious in its nature, with its use of sampling and offensive humor. Much of older ytps, and even current ones, have lost the battle of copyright claims. I've been watching them since early middle school actually, so I'm glad I got to witness some of that history. DurhamrockerZ and OrpheusFTW are other great examples of old school YTPers that have left an influence with their King of the Hill and Skooks videos respectfully:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtmKeVncJ2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpRPl8TlVBU

I was originally going to mention this one as well, the last minute could basically be a demo for an industrial/sound collage track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIb3yK_U7QI
Fun Fact: I think this guy may have actually coined the word "Spingebill" in his video "Spingebill applies for a job at the krusty krustacean" as a means to avoid copyright bots looking for the word "Spongebob"

I've watched a bunch of Michael Rosen ones too and they're an incredible use of sentence mixing. He has a personal history with YTP as well, but I think I've been blabbering on about YTPs for too long now :lol:

Funny story, that video was the first time I was introduced to Lain, then years later people started spamming a particular imageboard with Lain references so I asked my then gf at the time to check it out as she's big into anime. She found it weird and confusing, then I watched it and got completely enamored with its aesthetic and themes. I seriously need to rewatch Lain again, they say you need to watch it I think 4 times to get a full understanding of it. Youtuber Max Derrat made a video recently discussing it and bringing up the theory that Lain is a physical representation of the collective unconscious, which was my initial interpretation when I first watched it. Might I recommend the youtube animated series "Interface" by Umami. It's a lot more surrealistic in its design but I think it touches on similar themes, if you can decipher them that is :P . Great soundtrack as well.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:YTPs have a long and rich history behind much of current internet culture, I liken it to a musical genre like Industrial or Dance/Techno where it's evolved in different ways over the years and is also very rebellious in its nature, with its use of sampling and offensive humor. Much of older ytps, and even current ones, have lost the battle of copyright claims. I've been watching them since early middle school actually, so I'm glad I got to witness some of that history. DurhamrockerZ and OrpheusFTW are other great examples of old school YTPers that have left an influence with their King of the Hill and Skooks videos respectfully:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtmKeVncJ2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpRPl8TlVBU

I agree, YTPs are more than just meets the eye, the modern ones could be likened to the early un-monitored days of adult swim (like robot chicken) for the directness of the humour.
take this one for example (inventive but significantly more crude tho :D)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vBVISJjct2E

the whole culture surrounding YTPs is fascinating, i'll have to give those channel's a watch.

rodox_head wrote:I've watched a bunch of Michael Rosen ones too and they're an incredible use of sentence mixing. He has a personal history with YTP as well, but I think I've been blabbering on about YTPs for too long now :lol:

I bet he wished he didn't give them so much source material!

rodox_head wrote:Fun Fact: I think this guy may have actually coined the word "Spingebill" in his video "Spingebill applies for a job at the krusty krustacean" as a means to avoid copyright bots looking for the word "Spongebob"

never knew that, i wonder if the people at nickelodeon secretly love the spongebob ytp's, makes you think.

rodox_head wrote:Funny story, that video was the first time I was introduced to Lain, then years later people started spamming a particular imageboard with Lain references so I asked my then gf at the time to check it out as she's big into anime. She found it weird and confusing, then I watched it and got completely enamored with its aesthetic and themes. I seriously need to rewatch Lain again, they say you need to watch it I think 4 times to get a full understanding of it. Youtuber Max Derrat made a video recently discussing it and bringing up the theory that Lain is a physical representation of the collective unconscious, which was my initial interpretation when I first watched it. Might I recommend the youtube animated series "Interface" by Umami. It's a lot more surrealistic in its design but I think it touches on similar themes, if you can decipher them that is :P . Great soundtrack as well

good story, once i've finished watching it i'll have to give it another go, too much of a visual treat to not rewatch. do you have any plot/story theories of your own? 10 down 3 to go, hopefully it'll be more clear, but at current the episodes are a strange interweb/anxiety fever-dream type religion/identity sub-plot theme (if that makes any sense, i must be more baffled than i thought! :D)

Dayvan Cowboy
Back in high school when I managed to import the soundtrack from Simcity 3000 into my mp3 player I organized them into my own personal track listing (since they were initially just alphabetical) that I still follow to this day and treat as the only one that makes sense.

My listing:
1. Simcity 3000 Theme
2. Sim Broadway
3. Power Grid
4. Building
5. Illumination
6. Night Life
7. Central Park Sunday
8. Urban Complex
9. Infrastructure
10. UpDown Town
11. New Terrain
12. Window Washer's Dream
13. Magic City
14. Concrete Jungle
15. South Bridge

Spotify Listing:
1. Simcity 3000 Theme
2. Building
3. Concrete Jungle
4. Illumination
5. Infrastructure
6. New Terrain
7. Night Life
8. Power Grid
9. Sim Broadway
10. UpDown Town
11. Magic City
12. Window Washer's Dream
13. Central Park Sunday
14. South Bridge
15. Urban Complex

Eagle Minded
rodox_head wrote:Well, in freshman year of high school I started listening to Boards of Canada, then around senior year I watched this short film, and now I'm the person I am today.
phpBB [media]

Holy shit! Are you me? Am I you?
That video...Immediately I felt that kind of oddness of watching Space Ghost back in the day, with some Tim and Eric if they had a sinister motive, and that haunting fear that someone might have spiked my glass with LSD and it's just starting to kick in. Or is it?

Your post was one of the most helpful explanations I've ever seen of how someone became who they currently are.

As for me, I spent a few years convinced I had snorted meth and gotten so high that I wasn't actually doing the things I thought I was doing. I was convinced that there was the almighty me, living in actual reality above, snorting line after line of meth, getting tweaked out of my mind, and I was stuck like a lab rat in a maze.
I should say that this was around the time The Truman Show and The Matrix came out. Throw on Dark City for good measure.

I've never seen this video but holy shit, what a fucking hilarious and horrifying piece of psychological warfare! I love it.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Dayvan Cowboy
I got a car wash the other day and inside the tunnel someone graffito-tagged the wall with the message "*name* is a snitch, works with the cops". This is the same spot where, a couple months ago, another message was sprawled on the wall: "Death is a die and then you bitch yourself". There's a 65" CRT TV sitting out in the rain nearby with a message plastered on it about how the term "homeless" is just used by the government to keep people down or something, it was in a stereotypical "gangsta" font so I could barely read it. The same spot where I've seen messages of people giving up on fitting in, lamenting their status as a vagrant, or claiming the neighborhood watch are harassers.

This may be the norm for a lot out there, but this always feels uncanny to me since I'm used to graffiti being globs of indecipherable tags covering up whole sides of walls, not any attempts at coherent thoughts.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:I got a car wash the other day and inside the tunnel someone graffito-tagged the wall with the message "*name* is a snitch, works with the cops". This is the same spot where, a couple months ago, another message was sprawled on the wall: "Death is a die and then you bitch yourself". There's a 65" CRT TV sitting out in the rain nearby with a message plastered on it about how the term "homeless" is just used by the government to keep people down or something, it was in a stereotypical "gangsta" font so I could barely read it. The same spot where I've seen messages of people giving up on fitting in, lamenting their status as a vagrant, or claiming the neighborhood watch are harassers.

This may be the norm for a lot out there, but this always feels uncanny to me since I'm used to graffiti being globs of indecipherable tags covering up whole sides of walls, not any attempts at coherent thoughts.

Someone's spraying out some suburban truths. Sounds like you have a free thinking banksy in the area, actually you've really painted me a intriguing picture of your surroundings, that's an strange observation but I'd like to see some graffiti like that.

———
Story to add:

All over town, the local council recently put up some posters to deter folks from leaving dog shite on the pavement, on each is an illustration of Tinkerbell with a disgusted expression holding a bag of the brown stuff far out in front of her, the chosen phrase "There's no such thing as the Dog Poo fairy." is below the picture.

The thing that makes this worth telling is that a person has cheekily scribbled even more text with a permanent marker that reads "Unless we all believe..." :lol:
It's on every one! The best use of /sarcasm/ graffiti in Yorkshire!

Return to The Playground